Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have posted before, I have some limiting factors regarding neck flexibility. When I am at anchor and view my string position, it appears to be nowhere near the riser. This seems to be the main issue with consistent groups off center by 2-3 inches. If I force my head to turn more, the string falls in to position and my shots are centered. This is extremely painful and if I cannot find a way to compensate, I will probably give up- it may never improve.

I have increased point weight from 100 to 145 with no noticeable improvement. I am shooting a 27# recurve, 1716 @ at 31" length, draw length is 27.5.
Will more weight move my hit point ?

how much is too much?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
20,760 Posts
Ray -

First, may I ask where the heck you are getting 31" 1716s??? I have a few students who can really use them.

Reality time, archery is about compromise. If it hurts, it ain't gonna work.

Since I can't see you, the following is just speculation. (Except for this: your best chance of success would be to find a level 4 coach and work out what's going on, and find the "best" compromise.

OK, here's the speculation:
1. You're talking about the string blur, and while most serious shooters do use it, it's not a requirement. There are other reference points that can work/be made to work.
2. Forget trying to detune to hit center, at least the way you're thinking about it. The fletch will usually compensate. Changing the degree of centershot may help and depending on the distances you shoot that may be the easiest fix. Let's be real, you don't need a perfectly tuned rig at 20 yards. Look at what the BB guys are using.
3. Changes in form. Opening the stance will reduce the amount of required neck rotation. It may result in a shortened draw length and loss of alignment. While not perfect, if you look at a lot of target guys from the 60's and 70's, a lot shot that way.
4. Canting the bow more will move you right and vice versa (right handed shooter).
5. Possible change in anchor point and / or glove/tab type. (The thicker the tab, the more left you'll shoot, with a given anchor.)
6. Physical therapy. Seriously. Without knowing the cause, kinda hard to diagnose and treat (and I would try over the net).

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Physical rehab is my goal, but the VA is not playing nice.
Now on to your question- well, ummm, I am getting close to my 70th birthday and it seems that I may have transposed a few things in my brain. I was envisioning the process of measuring my wood arrows which are 31"
Sorry.

Thanks again for the help,
Ray

1 - 3 of 3 Posts