Archery Talk Forum banner

Longbow Doe

735 Views 23 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  old Graybeard
I arrowed my first deer with my longbow this afternoon, a doe at 15 yards. The shot caught the liver and one lung. I have taken a couple of doe with my recurve over the last two seasons, but this is the first with my longbow. It is definately a different experience shooting a deer using just a stick and string using no sights.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,684 Posts
big congrats

· Registered
5,634 Posts
awesome job!! i was fortunate enough to take a young doe with my recurve a few years back. it's definitely a rewarding experience! :thumb:

· Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats:darkbeer: I wish I was good enough to shoot one with a traditional bow.:sad:

It just takes practice....my effective hunting range is only about 18 yards. It is kind of like shooting a basketball or throwing a baseball, after a while you just know how to adjust to hit your target without thinking about aiming...insticts take over. Its not really raw skills, they have to honed with lots of practice. You should try it.....it is really alot of fun learning and just different pace from the technical aspect of compounds we get caught up in. I still pursue my big bucks with the compound. In the last couple of years I try to fill my doe tags with my traditional gear.....lots of fun, oh yea I miss my target sometimes too!

· Registered
25,353 Posts
is that a martin savanah?

· Registered
36,987 Posts
Congrats !!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.