Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a longbow (will be my first) ..I want a RH 58" in the 50# range...now this is where you guys and gals come in...I've handeled a Tomahawk, a Mosshorn, a Shrew and a Cactus Cal so far. What else is out there? What's a quiet, smooth and FAST longbow within my specs. at a reasonable price? I'll be VERY thankful for any feedback.
Danny

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Usually a 58" "longbow" is actually a flatbow, but they have similar shooting characteristics. Something you may need to take into account is your draw length--some of the shorter ones won't handle a longer draw, and unless you have a short draw you loose a lot of the forgiveness that longbows are known for.

The only one I've shot (of the ones you mentioned) is the Shrew, and I didn't care for it. I didn't tune it, but the guy that had it is no beginner, and it had a good bit of handshock, even with heavy arrows. Decent speed, smooth draw (it was a 64", I think), but not my cup of tea. Didn't care much for the grip either.

Bob Morrison makes a nice longbow--I haven't shot the short version (I draw 30.5" on a longbow), but the longer one I shot was very nice--think it was a 66". Nice grip, smooth and quick, very little shock.

Roy Hall (Navajo) makes some really nice bows--a bit radical in design on some, but fast, smooth, and very little shock. Also has a good grip.

Chek-Mate makes two flatbows in a 58"--the Thunderbird and the Longhorn. The Longhorn is a little faster, the Thunderbird more forgiving, both very smooth, quick, and very little shock--very little sticker shock compared to most also. Both have one of the best grips I've ever held. Either of these in a 58" is good for up to a 28" draw.

Chad

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a morrison dakota 60 in [email protected] 1/2 in that I love.But furthermore I cant say enough about bob morrison this was my first traditional bow.I purchased it second hand and bob went out of his way to help me,and certainly wasnt obligated too. I just ordered a shawnee take down recurve from bob.These risers will take recurve or long bow limbs. there are a lot of good bows out there but a can vouch for bobs after sale service and high quality bows. bobmorrisonarchery.com will display some of his bows or call him he will talk to you just like an old friend his number is on his webb site. good luck

·
Registered
78 Posts
Im sold on Black Widows. I have had two LAG's and love them. Fast and quiet. They do tend to be a bit expensive.

I used to have a 60" Tomahawk. Too short for me. I draw 30 inches and it tended to and it stack a bit. Other than that, it was a very nice bow.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the reason I mentioned 58" was my draw is just at 27"
I'm hoping for a lot of feedback on the shorter longbows so I can decide on one soon...thanks to those who have replied so far

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
A 62" Chek-Mate Crusader would work well with a 27" draw, and I imagine some of the others would also. I've owned gobs of different longbows, and lots of others--to me, very few have come close to the Crusader.

Chad

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
My last post should have read "and shot lots of others..."

Longer bows are more forgiving to a point, and there are other things that can be incorporated to make a bow forgiving. Go too long with a particular style with a specific draw length, you won't gain much if anything, and will loose performance. IMO, even with a straight limbed bow 68" is overkill with a 27" draw.

Chad

·
Registered
365 Posts
boss bow

i have a 62" boss bow with diamond back skin and it is 52#@28" .. i shoot a 27" draw and found for me 62" is perfect because i am a good shot but sometimes form breaks down. so being a longer bow it tends in my opinion to be more forgiving. i did like i was told and started with a nice weight but now i wish i would have gotten 55#-60# " i guess i am starting to grow out of this bow. " the boss is dead silent and as most know if you tune almost any bow is silent . speed i have also and that is my opinion

·
Registered
102 Posts
I shoot a Wes Martin "Mosshorn" model. Just got it a few weeks ago. I feel it will be great for hunting since it is only 56". I had a Selway Lil' Magnum. It hit harder than the Mosshorn,....but I could not get use to the finger grooves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ancient Spirits

I shoot an Ancient Spirits long bow, its 64" and 55# @28. It is the first long bow that I have owned. I have 2 compounds and 2 recurves, and the long bow is the most fun to shoot. These guys make a high quality bow at resonable prices. I think they have a web site. It might be www. ancientspirits.com.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have a 58" Dale Stahl hybrid longbow that is 48#@28". It is a very smooth, quiet and quick shooting bow. I bought the bow with optional exotic wood, Bocote, in the riser and exotic veneers, Bocote, too. The actionboo laminations were N/C. The bow with options was $615. I believe his basic bows. Bubinga riser and Red Elm laminations costs $450-$475. They are the best shooting longbow I've ever owned and I've owned many, though not all, of those mentioned thus far. I've never owned or shot a Black Widow or Ancient Spirits LB.

You can reach Mr. Stahl at [email protected] .

Bill

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bowfish65

hey bowfish65...how about some more details on the mosshorn...specs., materials, performance, your draw and what type arrows?? I've heard a lot about them so far and mostly good...except for the final detail and finish.

·
Registered
197 Posts
if you don't mind a 'standard' longbow, bear montana is right in there. at 64" long it draws smoothly and with a fast flight string will perform very well. new it is at the $300.00 mark. it's available in poundages from 35-65#.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
all the replies have helped, but I think a 58" is what I want..RH and 50#@28" or close..just have to decide on which one...lot's out there to choose from...who out there actually shoots these type longbows?? I'm talking 60" and less. some more feedback will sure help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wish you would re-think the 58" deal. Any longbow under about 64" is an expert's bow-with the possible exception of a very forward-handle bow like a Shrew. Even then, a 60" would be better for a beginner.

I have seen so many people limit themselves by starting out with a bow that is too heavy or too short. If you develop bad habits in the beginning it becomes progressively more difficult to learn reasonably good form.

Make sure you check your draw length on a lightweight "try bow". When there is a straight line from your drawing forearm through the arrow, you have the correct draw length. Once you get this correct draw length, then look for an anchor that puts you there.

If you can hold the bow at full draw for 10 seconds without excessive shaking, you have a draw weight that you can handle. A little shaking is OK because you will get much stronger after a few weeks of regular shooting.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks so far everyone...my draw is 27"s. I think I'm going with a hybrid 56-60"s. want something smooth, quiet and FAST. what have you shot and how did you like it? I have a couple in mind but want a few more opinions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I believe that you can't get more than you pay for therefore my Black Widow PLV takedown is the best longbow or hybred I could buy. You might try one you'll find as I did that they are actually cheap for the bow you get.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts