Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was looking at a Hill style bow from a bowyer in the Netherlands (Fairbow), the basic model appears to be bamboo and poplar construction (poplar just for the riser bit I think)

Reading online, it appears poplar isn't a great wood to use for bows. Should I avoid this bow?

Cheers,
tbm.

·
Banned
104 Posts
really hate to go all scientific on you but:

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/bow-woods/

upon reading the types of wood, there was nothing mentioned about bamboo per se., but balsam popular was low on the wood list at 6.19 while 13.79 highest rating from Madagascar Rosewood, puurrrdy wood actually!

now remember tho when you are surrounded by bamboo and the zombies are coming...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
black poplar is nice patterned semi hard wood that won't crack easily n is used in furniture making, also commonly used by euro bowyers, dont think u should worry too much

while bamboo limbs means fast bow generally.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
really hate to go all scientific on you but:

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/bow-woods/

upon reading the types of wood, there was nothing mentioned about bamboo per se., but balsam popular was low on the wood list at 6.19 while 13.79 highest rating from Madagascar Rosewood, puurrrdy wood actually!

now remember tho when you are surrounded by bamboo and the zombies are coming...

because bamboo is not wood strictly speaking, its a kind of weed, same as rattan

both bamboo and rattan can be very lethal in primal weapon making, while most Asian cultures have all sort of rattan n bamboo killing stuffs

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hi,

I was looking at a Hill style bow from a bowyer in the Netherlands (Fairbow), the basic model appears to be bamboo and poplar construction (poplar just for the riser bit I think)

Reading online, it appears poplar isn't a great wood to use for bows. Should I avoid this bow?

Cheers,
tbm.
btw, are u looking at the Rebel?

with that layers of bamboo core n tough glass....I dont think this thing will ever break..love that green glass

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I usually get my Bearpaw n Falco stuffs from this euro / UK seller.

They also carry a Rebel in custom green glass one that looks absolutely gorgeous.

https://www.thelongbowshop.com/coll...rebel-bamboo-poplar-custom-flatbow-by-fairbow

The poplar wood concern, I personally have not encountered any issues...By comparison most snaps or cracks I have seen on trad bows are in fact associated with maple and padouk wood.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
For that price get a Falco, far better bows.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I think he is after a hill style design longbow, n Falco doesn't carry such design.

Personally I also prefer Falco n ordered one ~ a custom Spirit with bamboo core, full diamond carbon n gloss finish, the price for that is below $499, can't beat that offer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hill style ideally, although my choices look limited. Either Fairbow, or a Hill from the US (that will cost a lot to import)

A question for the UK peeps, if I were to buy directly from Fairbow or Falco, do you have to pay tax? They are all in the EU (well for now anyway!)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Where are you from?
I wouldn`t buy any bow from fairbow. I have seen some and tested a few and they all were awfull tillered and had massive handshock.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UK.

There aren't a great number of Fairbow bow reviews online, so hard to tell.

There is Bearpaw I guess, but they don't really do a Hill as such, plus I've heard rumours about quality dips recently?

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Not sure why anyone would want a Hill, even the best of them are sub-par shooters.
Hence the Falco recommendation.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I think I might give up on the straight limbed Hill idea now.

I was looking at the short little flatbows like the Slick Stick.

Would these still be classed as AFBs in competitions?

The only rules I could see online was that the string shouldn't touch the limbs apart from the nock, and the shelf not cut past centre. There was something about 160cm length, but I guess that can be different on how you measure bow length?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
if you let go hill style, u have a hack lot of choices, slick stick is a bit short for my liking in terms of a longbow being only 58", for that length I will only consider a recurve.

if u want a competition bow, Bearpaw Blackfoot is a great economical choice, as it complies with all rules according to Bearpaw ~ that may be wrong over time n authorities, but still u should able to do most competitions with it.

however if ur budget remains unchanged, u may want to consider a Falco full carbon custom (Spirit or Trophy Vintage colorwood options)....be special.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Yeah, I think I might give up on the straight limbed Hill idea now.

I was looking at the short little flatbows like the Slick Stick.

Would these still be classed as AFBs in competitions?

The only rules I could see online was that the string shouldn't touch the limbs apart from the nock, and the shelf not cut past centre. There was something about 160cm length, but I guess that can be different on how you measure bow length?
Get something IFAA legal (Falco comes to mind) and shoot it for everything. WA requires a minimum length but you'll find everyone shoots 66" or longer anyways.

·
Registered
186 Posts
How much do you want to spend maximum? I have some nice longbows here for a killer price I can easily send to the UK.
What # do you want?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts