Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
hello robinhoodsgirl! Nice to see new blood here.
I have not shot any nor seen any physically but go to longbow.com. He has English style and even has one in the Lord of the Rings style. Most of the draw weights are only 35 pounds.
If you want to look at some English longbows made in england go to www.bickerstaffebows.co.uk :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hubby and I saw several English style longbows at the Poke and Hope Traditional in Durham, Maine last June.

Here is the website - http://www.saxonfox.com/

I was there shooting a Bob Lee Stick 36# and a Great Plains recurve 40#. Still haven't decided which I like better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your help guys! I got a new longbow in the mail coming right now!:D

By the way, are you guys into hunting, or target work?

·
Registered
48 Posts
No hunting here.

When I can, I go with hubby to local 3D shoots and out-of-state weekend traditional 3D jamborees and rendezvous.

Paws

·
Registered
916 Posts
Style

Hunting first, when not hunting then 3D animal targets to stay sharp for hunting. Oh yea can't forget stump shooting either.

So what long bow are you getting?

Eat safe
Out for now

·
Registered
167 Posts
HEY PAWS..

IF YOU NEED GOOD ARROWS FOR THAT THING.. LET ME KNOW..
MAKE YOU A GREAT DEAL...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Because of the way they're supposed to be made, there might not be any such thing as a good quality, cheap English longbow. The process is very labor intensive and hence not cheap.

You can get laminated flatbows for considerably less that will most likely outperform a tradition English longbow but of course they won't be traditional English longbows.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good luck with your new long bow.
I build and shoot various styles of osage bows... am building a D bow that bends from tip to tip, cherokee hunting bow, I have three osage flat bows, and one Pecan flat bow,
I do know you want your arrows 10-15# lighter then poundage of bow if it is NOT Center shot..like recurves and compounds..
Dont get discouraged.... practice at close range 7 to 10 yards. then move back as you improve. you almost have to shoot a longbow,recurve year round to stay accurate...
I shoot 3 d all spring and summer then hunt all winter.. we have 100 days of archery season here in Oklahoma..
good luck
Hedgeapple

1 - 10 of 10 Posts