Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the title says it all really. I am curious what everyones personal long range is, Not just on a deer but larger game as well like Elk.

I am new to all of this and personally I cant keep my groups under 4 inches past 30 yards so I personally wouldnt take a shot on a live animal past that and it would have to be a very clear shot for me to take it at this point.
I was a rifle hunter all my life and had a Max range at that as well and it was around 275 with my .270.

Just curious as I am having a bit of a debate about this with some guys at work.

Thanks

·
bigpess51
606 Posts
50 is my max under the right conditions on a whitetail. Passed a few clear shots at 50-58 yds this year. I like them nice and close. The past 6 deer I have killed with my bow have all been within 30 yds.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I've been doing this for 25 years and I don't even bother sighting my hunting rig in past 30 yards.

·
Mutant of the Year 2015
7,410 Posts
30 yards here.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The longest shot I've ever taken on a whitetail is 55 yards, but I'd be very comfortable taking shots between 75-80 yards as long as conditions were perfect. I've never hunted moose or elk, though. The vitals on a moose are like shooting at a VW bug's door, so I'd imagine the effective range would come down more to kinetic energy the further out you get rather than shooting ability.

I've hunted in conditions where I wouldn't shoot past 20 yards, though, too. Wind, low visibility, fog. I'm not even attempting a 25 yard shot in a last light situation and have passed on nice deer under those circumstances.

I also shoot regularly throughout the year and average 58X on the 5 spot

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
my furthest shot on a whitetail is 73 yards when i was young and dumb. I like to keep them under 35 yards or so now

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
to me, archery is about getting close. thats the challenge. 30 yards is my max

·
Registered
756 Posts
40 yards, but only if its a "OH HE77 YEAH" buck with the right scenario. I don't have a pin that goes past 40 on my bow.

Otherwise 35. the further you get the more chance for something to go wrong

Edited to addd:
the last 3 deer have been within 25. 1 before that was 33...

·
Vendor
25,448 Posts
There is a huge difference between whitetail and elk or moose. In addition to size of vitals, elk and moose don't drop quickly like deer do to run. Unlike shooting a perfect 300 with 60 x's deer react to sound. Can I kill a deer over 50 yards? Absolutely. Is it ethical? To me, absolutely not. A deer can move in the time it takes to reach 50 yards which can result in a wounded deer. If the conditions are right, wind is right, deer is calm, why not stock the game like a real bow hunter?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
40 yards, but only if its a "OH HE77 YEAH" buck with the right scenario. I don't have a pin that goes past 40 on my bow.
my personal opinion...if its an "OH HE77 YEAH" buck...your maximum range should be less than normal, because you will be shook up more than a typical deer...My friend had that same idea in his head as you did and it bit him in the @$$ two times. I was the first to say "i told you so" haha

·
Registered
398 Posts
^ not true for everyone. I for one make my best shots in the highest pressure situations. Some people have a heightened ability to focus and execute under pressure. In lower pressure situation is more difficult for some to focus. This is why some athletes are considered "clutch".

·
Registered
83 Posts
30 yards max on a whitetail. They are just to quick in my opinion. 60-70 on elk if the conditions are right. I practice regularly at 80 and beyond. I'm confident in my ability to hit my mark at these distances.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
All depends on the situation. I take the closest shot I can reasonably get. If I feel I can't get any closer and conditions are right I take the shot with NO regrets.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
"why not stock the game like a real bow hunter?"

Has got to be one of the dumbest comments I see on here all the time. I wold like some to show me where in the definition of bow hunter it says you have to stalk and be a certain distance from an animal.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
^ not true for everyone. I for one make my best shots in the highest pressure situations. Some people have a heightened ability to focus and execute under pressure. In lower pressure situation is more difficult for some to focus. This is why some athletes are considered "clutch".
youre exactly right...my personal reason for limiting myself to 30 yards is because of the unknown and uncontrollable factors like winds, "invisible twigs", and most importantly their reaction. Like you, I am also most focused and calm right before the shot, its after the shot when i lose it haha....

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hit a doe low this year at 54 yards.... Put my hunting Buddy's and myself through a mile long tracking job through hell in almost 90 degrees... Just because doe season was ending and I wanted to put one up. I won't be doing that again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
45-50 yards on a perfect day with a big bodied deer, and I"m feeling it. Otherwise I will just stick to my normal 12-32 yard range with 32 being my longest kill shot.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts