Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to bowhunting this year...never taken a whitetail by bow and arrow before. What's the longest yardage anyone has killed a deer at? The closest? Is there an average distance?

Jake

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Id take a shot at 50 yards...
30 yards is my longeset kill and i've had them so close i cant shoot!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Shortest - 6 yards
Longest - 31 yards

·
Registered
710 Posts
Longest (by far) - 45 yds from a treestand
Closest - 7 or 8 feet from the ground

My average distance used to be ~25 yds in years past, but that's shrunk to 16-17 yds in recent years.

·
Martin Pro Staff
1,804 Posts
Too Close

I had a mule deer buck eat the grass around my blind. I was sitting against a huge rock on the edge of a field and he approached from the mountain behind the rock and started eating the grass. The brush was about three and a half feet high so he couldn't easily notice me, but I could not draw my bow because I would have hit him in the brush if I extened my bow arm to draw. Honestly, this was no lie. He did not notice me for a couple of minutes and I attempted to ease back and draw the bow. Of course he spooked and ran away.

Clay

·
Registered
456 Posts
shortest 12 yds.
longest 38 yds.
i will not shoot at an animal past 40 yds. no matter what the circumstances, even though i could probably hit a penny at 60 yds. (if i shot at it enough times:D ) i typically hunt in wooded areas and 40 yds. is a long way through the trees.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Close shot for me was at 6 feet. First buck right under me from a low crotch in a tree. Spined him. Longest was at 32 yards. Nice doe broadside. Most kills have been from 10 to 20 yards. That's why I bowhunt. I love being close!

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Closest) A yearling pretty much face to face,didn't shoot,but what an interesting hunt...........shocked us both.
Also had a nice 6 point within 5 feet while ground hunting,he didn't know what I was......didn't have time to draw.........now that had my heart beating!

Farthest) Took a doe at 43 yds. while on a tree branch 2 yrs. ago. I normally don't take them kind of shots,but my confidence level was soaring that hunt.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Shortest - right under me

Longest - 40 yards.

Your chances of success will be much greater if you try to keep your shots around that 20 yard mark. Be patient- they'll come. Pay close attention to exactly where you hit the animal and what direction the animal went -AFTER THE SHOT. Taking longer shots makes it very difficult to ascertain these things. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
closest encouter, about 4 feet with a little button buck...Shortest kill shot, 6 yards from my treestand, and longest kill shot was 18 yards from my treestand. With several in between.

My max range at live game is 25 yards. I can stack em out to 40 but for me there are still to many variables I haven't over come at such a young age. I still get a little bit of the buck shakes whenever a deer is around...but I always manage to compose myself when I decide I'm gonna go for a shot. Lord I love that rush.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Longest.....68 yards on a Mulie buck.:D It was my first bow kill and I did not realize that it was too far away, it double lunged him and came out so slowly that the arrow was standing upright in the grass strait below where it came out. I got lucky there and would not recommend shooting an animal at that distance! Closest.....about 15 FEET on a 160 class Mulie.:p I have also had em' way too close to shoot at. I hunt on the ground.:) I would say average is about 20 yds, maybee a bit longer out west, I think. Good Luck.;)

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Longest was last year at just under 50 yards. Doe standing broadside looking at some other deer, easy target.

Closest was about 6 feet from my tree stand. Nice 8 point buck. It was great to see the kill so close :D

LeEarl

Oh, did I say that I have jumped out of my stand onto the back of a huge buck and tried to stab him with my knife? I woke up when I hit the floor after falling from my bed :D. I though I had him ;).

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
WTG my fellow Montanan!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Shortest- about 25 yards.
Longest- about 35 yards.

With my arrows only flying at 260 f/p/s, I generally won't take the shot past 30-35 yards.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Longest- 38 steps, a 7 pointer I shot off the ground
Shortest, right under me, a 10 pointer from 12 feet up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts