Archery Talk Forum banner

What is the longest sucessfull shot you made on an animal?

• 0-25

Votes: 108 11.0%
  • 25-50

Votes: 513 52.4%
  • 50-75

Votes: 249 25.4%
  • 75+

Votes: 109 11.1%
1 - 20 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the longest sucessful shot you have made on a animal?

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
Over 12 trees, around a corner, off 9 rocks, under 6 branches through 3 bushes and the arrow hit him in the kill zone perfectly. We ranged it with my Nikon 400, it took about 16 different settings before it tallied up at 6,400 yards! :mg: :eek: :zip: :confused: And I did it shooting 800 grain arrows out of a 19 pound draw weight bow with only 13" of draw length! :mg: :eek: :zip: :confused:

Actually, my longest shot at an animal has been 51 yards. It was a coyote and I dropped him in his tracks. :)

Dick

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
The only bowkill I have was this year and it was a 52 yard shot on an Antelope. It didn't kill him but it sure slowed him down so I could get another arrow in him.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
69 Posts
:eek:poped a rabbit with a hoyt rintec xl 600 ultrlights and an hha optimizer at 110 it was sick

·
Registered
420 Posts
42 yard red fox with my recurve. I was pretty proud of that one.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
107 yds......and now my taxidermist is mounting my 150" ten point...:wink:

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
When I was 11 with my 55 pound havoc tech I shot a doe at 72 yards in the heart. I was very happy with that.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Unless you guys have shot over 1000 shots over 100 yards you should be ashamed. It disgusted me to hear hunters taking unethical shots. I am ok with long shots if you practice a lot but archers that fling arrows because they are not good enough to get closer disgusted me. One word UNETHICAL. go back to rifle hunting.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unless you guys have shot over 1000 shots over 100 yards you should be ashamed. It disgusted me to hear hunters taking unethical shots. I am ok with long shots if you practice a lot but archers that fling arrows because they are not good enough to get closer disgusted me. One word UNETHICAL. go back to rifle hunting.
Long range archery is an art not everybodys cut out for it.I your not comfortable making a hundred yard shot.Then of course your going to think it is unethical.

·
Registered
236 Posts
62 yards...it was only a doe but I was still happy with it!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lets not try to turn this thread into a bash fest.I am just trying to get some honest numbers here.

·
Registered
457 Posts
46 yards on a small 8 point several years ago, before I knew what management was...
I had stepped this little tree off on the way in and the deer walked right in front of it...
he ran about 30 yards and piled up. I try to limit myself to under 50 yards...

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Long range archery is an art not everybodys cut out for it.I your not comfortable making a hundred yard shot.Then of course your going to think it is unethical.
amen brother.....it just takes practice.

to put limits to yourself that's fine, but you should never put limits to someone else.

some people can shoot a rifle very accurately to a couple hundred yds. and there are some who can shoot very accurate out to several hundred and even a 1000 yds.

with the right set-up and practice i put NO limits to anyones capabilites.

and to RIPelk does a countless few thousand shots at 100 yds. count?...:wink:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hey I said I was fine with it if a guy feels comfortable with that shot. Since I started using the rip shot release system I have shot a round of 6 arrows into a paper plate at 100 yards. Let's not forget all the factors in a long shot like that. My number one reason is an animal is unpredictable and could easily move thus having a greater chance for a wounded animal. I had a buck string jump me at 35 yards and it wounded him. I never felt more sick in my life. The only real thing that frustrated me is a guy shooting a shot like that just because he feels the animal won't get any closer. Guys won't admit that but you know in their heart that is the case.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Long shot

Shot a grouse at 70yds dead in its tracks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
amen brother.....it just takes practice.

to put limits to yourself that's fine, but you should never put limits to someone else.

some people can shoot a rifle very accurately to a couple hundred yds. and there are some who can shoot very accurate out to several hundred and even a 1000 yds.

with the right set-up and practice i put NO limits to anyones capabilites.

and to RIPelk does a countless few thousand shots at 100 yds. count?...:wink:

I have pins out 100 yards. If I feel comfortable I will take the shot. With the technology out now from .09 pins, great stabs, rock solid bows, ultra low shock, speed and very straight arrows, 100 yards is obtainable for some archers who practice at that range.
Dont get mad at us who can shoot long ranges and call us unethical.

1 - 20 of 549 Posts