Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my third issue with my trophy taker smackdown pro ive decided to call it quits and move on. My question is what can i try thats not gonna break so quickly or give me hassles? What should i expect for life expectancy...i shoot a few arrows every other day. Not a ton. I tried a blade but couldnt keep steady enough while drawing. I have the skakes...genetic dissorder...cant be fixed. So i need a rest that holds the arrow better. Was using an Apache which really worked just fine and is most likely what im going back to. Wanted to try a limb driven rest so I got the smackdown. But having my doubts on the reliability of these drop aways..... id shure be unhappy if i got half way through a 3d shoot and have my rest break. So how often are you all having to replace rests due to failures?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
thats a bummer.
i keep waiting for my smackdown pro to take a dump on me,but it has refused thus far.
i am always on the search for the next best thing.the ld micro elite has my attention.but i have no experience with it.
sorry i can not be more helpful.i hope you find what you are looking for

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
i like the simple cable actuated drop aways like the NAP Apache or the Trophy Takers (like the FC), when I use a drop away.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
QADs are guaranteed for life. Hard to beat that.

·
Registered
588 Posts
What was the issue with the TT?

I had mine take a dump on me the other week. Couldnt figure out why all my arrows were slamming into the dirt. Took 3 busted arrows to figure out the rest wasnt coming up on draw.

Had to take it apart at the range... tighten everything down, seems ok now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first issue was a week after i bought it the set screw on the little red connector that hooks to the rest shaft came loose, rest slid out slightly and the spring "leg" came out of the little hole inside the housing. After 3 hrs of messing with it and a real stiff neck, finally got it back together. Worked good for two weeks then it wouldnt rise like the post above. I read a thread that said if the connector was too tight against the body, it prevents the rest from rising smoothly. Loosened it up, then the spring came out of the hole again....lmao so put it back together and shot for a week or so and then yesterday, rest wouldnt rise all the way again. The spring tension feels week and "rough" so im thinking the spring is goofed again. I yanked it off the bow and tossed it in the draw. I know i could call TT and they would most likely take care of me but my confidence in it is gone. I would be scared to go anywhere with it.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
After my third issue with my trophy taker smackdown pro ive decided to call it quits and move on. My question is what can i try thats not gonna break so quickly or give me hassles? What should i expect for life expectancy...i shoot a few arrows every other day. Not a ton. I tried a blade but couldnt keep steady enough while drawing. I have the skakes...genetic dissorder...cant be fixed. So i need a rest that holds the arrow better. Was using an Apache which really worked just fine and is most likely what im going back to. Wanted to try a limb driven rest so I got the smackdown. But having my doubts on the reliability of these drop aways..... id shure be unhappy if i got half way through a 3d shoot and have my rest break. So how often are you all having to replace rests due to failures?[/QUOT

If you are having a problem with the arrow falling off a blade, check out the protuner rest with the the 3d/target head. Arrow will never fall off no moving parts Britesite.us

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
I'm shocked you had issues with a Trophy Taker. Call or e-mail them. They'll fix you right up. Lifetime warranty.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
TT rests are normally rock solid and they have good customer service so they will fix them...Now with that said of you want the best it's gotta be a Hamskea VersaRest, built like a tank and work as smooth as silk.
As far as the others that have been & will be suggested...I've had problems over the years with Limb Drivers, QADs, Ripcords, so it's possible to have issues with anything. I've used pretty much all the popular ones and for my money the Hamskea is the best I've used.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so i took it all apart (again) got the spring back in one of the holes. not sure which one its in but its got real good tension so its gotta be one of the furthest holes. How tight do i need to pull the string? How do you know when enough is enough? Maybe im pulling it too tight prior to locking it down and there is too much tension on the string and its jarring things loose. If i don't pull it tight, the rest doesn't sit on the little rubber "nipples" Sorry for the analogy but its the only word that comes to mind :) Does it need to lay that flat?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have been using the same Timberdoodle for about 15 years now without any problems with it ever

·
Back Yard Champion
28,989 Posts
I have a Limb Driver on it's 4th bow since 2010. Figure something like 15,000 shots per year. Had to adjust the spring tension a month ago. I ain't complaining, not with something going on 40,000 shots.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I'm very satisfied with the TT rests. If you're having a problem with it, definitely call their customer service line.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
And then there is always the WB as an option.

Go

·
GUT DEER ????
4,595 Posts
go back to the apache

1 - 20 of 26 Posts