Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright here's the deal......my one and only spot to bow hunt happens to be a 10 acre section of woods that is on the outskirts of town. It's private property and there's plenty of house's and people around it. I put out a trail cam and get deer on it all the time.....here in lies the problem all the bucks I'm seeing are in the middle of the night I'm wondering if you think these deer specifically the bucks may start moving threw here more during the day when it finally cools off it's been at least 10-15 degrees above average for the last 2 weeks maybe as fall comes on they will start moving more during the day. Does anyone have expierence hunting small parcels of land in outskirt areas of town and if so does it seem like alot of the good bucks are nocturnal in sub urban populated areas.

I had 2 funny things happen to me and caught them on my camera the last couple of days the 1st pic is of me stuck in my stand last night because I had deer all around me I'm hard to see but I'm in the square in the pic the arrows are trails that all connect pretty much right where the doe is standing now if I could just get them to show up in the daylight. The second pic is again me still stuck on my stand as deer passed.......the 3rd pic yep you guessed it still stuck in my stand pitch black I could see the deer's outline and knew it was a bigger deer but it was well past legal shooting time so it lived to see another day.

The last pic is of 2 bucks sparring this is pretty cool I'm never caught this on a camera before. The heat must be getting them cranky or something because the rut isn't even in sight yet.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
You fell asleep up there didn't you?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
That last picture is awesome

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Will your next thread be: What's the best way to get urine out of your gear and boots?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Know if I could just get them to show up during the day I'd be set I guess I'm banking on the fact that it will cool off and they will move more during daylight hours.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Heck I would try some light rattling since the boys are playing... might bring that good one up during shooting hours.

Cool picture of the two, not many shots of them sparring close up like that. :)

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
If you are close to where these bucks bed you will have a very good chance of seeing them during daylight hours even before the prerut. Now when prerut and rut kick into gear you'll probably have your pic of which one you want to shoot the way those trails intersect. Just try not to overhunt it. You may consider another stand location somewhere on the 10 acres.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Believe it or not this camera is the $50.00 one from Walmart.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Alright here's the deal......my one and only spot to bow hunt happens to be a 10 acre section of woods that is on the outskirts of town. It's private property and there's plenty of house's and people around it. I put out a trail cam and get deer on it all the time.....here in lies the problem all the bucks I'm seeing are in the middle of the night I'm wondering if you think these deer specifically the bucks may start moving threw here more during the day when it finally cools off it's been at least 10-15 degrees above average for the last 2 weeks maybe as fall comes on they will start moving more during the day. Does anyone have expierence hunting small parcels of land in outskirt areas of town and if so does it seem like alot of the good bucks are nocturnal in sub urban populated areas.

I had 2 funny things happen to me and caught them on my camera the last couple of days the 1st pic is of me stuck in my stand last night because I had deer all around me I'm hard to see but I'm in the square in the pic the arrows are trails that all connect pretty much right where the doe is standing now if I could just get them to show up in the daylight. The second pic is again me still stuck on my stand as deer passed.......the 3rd pic yep you guessed it still stuck in my stand pitch black I could see the deer's outline and knew it was a bigger deer but it was well past legal shooting time so it lived to see another day.

The last pic is of 2 bucks sparring this is pretty cool I'm never caught this on a camera before. The heat must be getting them cranky or something because the rut isn't even in sight yet.
I have the same issue in Indiana. I'm around Fort Wayne and hunt several urban woods. Nothing over 10-12 acres, but LOTS of intersecting woods, etc. I agree with you, most large buck have become nocturnal. BUT, and this has consistently happened to me, I have spoked them from bed areas out hanging stands in august, and I have consistently had them walk thru mid day while checking stand sits (I get anxious by Aug. and will simply go out and glass to pattern them). Never jumpy, always lumbering around. I think these big suburban bucks travel at their leisure. There is basically no hunting pressure, so while I think they hang at night to stay away from people mostly, they sure don't worry much about moving in day. Hell, I had a monster in my back yard with half a rack broken off Sept 25 last year. They do tend to disappear once we are in the woods with them. My strategy is early in, catch him coming in for a nap....

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ttt

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the same issue in Indiana. I'm around Fort Wayne and hunt several urban woods. Nothing over 10-12 acres, but LOTS of intersecting woods, etc. I agree with you, most large buck have become nocturnal. BUT, and this has consistently happened to me, I have spoked them from bed areas out hanging stands in august, and I have consistently had them walk thru mid day while checking stand sits (I get anxious by Aug. and will simply go out and glass to pattern them). Never jumpy, always lumbering around. I think these big suburban bucks travel at their leisure. There is basically no hunting pressure, so while I think they hang at night to stay away from people mostly, they sure don't worry much about moving in day. Hell, I had a monster in my back yard with half a rack broken off Sept 25 last year. They do tend to disappear once we are in the woods with them. My strategy is early in, catch him coming in for a nap....
So did you find there bedding areas? I think I've determine that the spot I hunt is an area they might just pass threw on there way from one place to another but I also have to think that they will be around this spot come October because I always have does and young bucks in the area and see at least 3-5 deer on average night just not any of the big guys. I'll try posting a pick of the property so maybe someone can help out with that. I've monitored my trail cam pics and kept records over the last month and for example starting September 9th - September 20th I've had 14 deer on my camera during legal shooting hours of those 14 visits 9 of them have come in the evening from 6:15PM-7:30PM the other 5 were in the morning between 6:20AM-6:40AM. I have zero pics between 6:40AM-6:15PM I guess that doesn't mean they aren't coming threw there but there's nothing on my camera I did notice last night that most of the time my cheap camera didn't get a pic of the deer even if they were in the right spot....I only got 3 pics of deer and they were back and forth threw the path of the camera dozens of times.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts