Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A black rat snake!!!! and yeah that's me taking the pictures... we were doing our thing in the office (the gray house in back ground with office mates watching at safe distance) when someone starts banging on our window and asks if the snake was poisonous... So I go out and take pictures as it slithers around into our new rain garden(still under construction but attracting wildlife apparently)... at one point I'm kneeling by the snake and telling the others about it(crocodile hunter style... I love snakes) and it decides that I'm not a treat and slithers over the back of my legs... :shade:

just wanted to share :darkbeer:

·
Registered
729 Posts
I like snakes, too. There's not much that makes you the "cool mom" when your son is in elementary school better than "letting" him have snakes for pets...

·
aka "5 Spot"
9,756 Posts
Interesting "play on words" in your thread title. Looks like your office mates might have been a bit creeped out by what crept out. :D

·
G5 killing machine
4,828 Posts
I'm not to scared of snakes, just depends on what kind they are. Use to have one for a pet. I'll hold a snake before I would an earth worm lol.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Nice snake, less mice.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Awesome!!! We had them all over the place I used to work. I saw a cute lil head poking out of the grass one day and went over. . . it wasn't so little!! I still took pics and watched it. Creeped the men out.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
check out this little water snake

lol... don't think I would get so close to a copperhead as I did the ratsnake... awesome picture btw... and water snakes are MEAN! Can't tell you how many times I've been bit by a watersnake... but I guess thats what I get for always picking them up:p

and I used to have snakes for pets as a kid too...

LOL... my hunting/fishing friend about flipped out on me once while fishing because I leaned over the side of the boat and picked up a 10 inch rough green snake out of the water. He tried to give me a lecture about picking up snakes and that they could be poisonous(venomous) till I promptly pointed out to him that I know my snake ID and he doesn't and so I knew this snake wasn't poisonous and I knew it didn't belong in the middle of a large lake and probably fell out of overhanging trees or wandered too far. he thought it was a green mamba...

·
Registered
310 Posts
check out this little water snake

Just in case you didn't realize the mistake here:
This snake is a COPPERHEAD; not a Northern Water Snake!!!!

Yes, they are easily confused. The best way to tell a poisonous snake is a triangular shaped head. You can clearly tell from this photo that the copperhead's cheeks stick out more than the rest of his face.

The copper colored head is the other give-a-way. Although in my neck of the woods we have seen several copperheads with exceptionally darker heads.

The other difference is the copperheads stout body with the tiny tail. The northern water snake is much more the same diameter from head to tail, with a longer tail.

The photo of the Northern water snake is from www.ohiodnr.com

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Oh, I also meant to say those are some awesome black rat photos!!

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
i hate snakes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts