Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyya folks,

I've been looking for a fairly affordable (To a poor college student xD) longbow for a bit now... And can't really find anything that fits my needs--well that I can tell is a proper bow not just some carved bit of wood made to look like and imitate a bow. (Those are fun and all, but not really ah... safe.)

My requirements:
> I shoot ambidextrously due to a little nuisance that causes my eye dominance to switch from time to time. So the handle must be.
> I need about 35lbs at 30-31in draw. Yeah... I'm 6ft tall with slightly long arms XD... More than 35lbs would be overkill since I'm just target shooting... well and the school range doesn't like more powerful bows chewing up their targets. Besides, I'm 5 years out of practice so more n 35lbs at my full draw... well. XD Ok a little over 35 at 31in I could man up to but...
> My budgets around 100-150$ tops probably. Less is sadly better, up to about 200$ possible but really pushing my already stressed budget. (Phoey to moody financial aid... Or I would have a lil more leeway there hah!)
> I don't mind fiberglass if its good and can handle a 30+in draw, but do like wood. Only thing I can find round here reasonably priced are recurves and 25in draw fiberglass bows for shimpy folks!... XD

Oh. I'm in the San Fransisco Bay area. Though certainly don't mind ordering online at all.

On a little backround, I've done college archery back in highschool and really fell in love with shooting longbows... I really can't stand the feel of recurves and compounds feel like cheating(plus, the school range doesn't permit them of any lb...) I sadly, around the time I last took that class turned down an offer to buy the old longbow they had me using... They were just done switching over to recurves. Stupidly, I turned it down because my pocket book was tighter then than now XD. Was a nice 68in long, 28in "intended" draw longbow that while a little on in its years showed no signs of cracking though its colloring had seen better... decades probobly.

Anyway. Thanks and heyya folks!
Rogue.

·
Registered
76,751 Posts
Heyya folks,

I've been looking for a fairly affordable (To a poor college student xD) longbow for a bit now... And can't really find anything that fits my needs--well that I can tell is a proper bow not just some carved bit of wood made to look like and imitate a bow. (Those are fun and all, but not really ah... safe.)

My requirements:
> I shoot ambidextrously due to a little nuisance that causes my eye dominance to switch from time to time. So the handle must be.
> I need about 35lbs at 30-31in draw. Yeah... I'm 6ft tall with slightly long arms XD... More than 35lbs would be overkill since I'm just target shooting... well and the school range doesn't like more powerful bows chewing up their targets. Besides, I'm 5 years out of practice so more n 35lbs at my full draw... well. XD Ok a little over 35 at 31in I could man up to but...
> My budgets around 100-150$ tops probably. Less is sadly better, up to about 200$ possible but really pushing my already stressed budget. (Phoey to moody financial aid... Or I would have a lil more leeway there hah!)
> I don't mind fiberglass if its good and can handle a 30+in draw, but do like wood. Only thing I can find round here reasonably priced are recurves and 25in draw fiberglass bows for shimpy folks!... XD

Oh. I'm in the San Fransisco Bay area. Though certainly don't mind ordering online at all.

On a little backround, I've done college archery back in highschool and really fell in love with shooting longbows... I really can't stand the feel of recurves and compounds feel like cheating(plus, the school range doesn't permit them of any lb...) I sadly, around the time I last took that class turned down an offer to buy the old longbow they had me using... They were just done switching over to recurves. Stupidly, I turned it down because my pocket book was tighter then than now XD. Was a nice 68in long, 28in "intended" draw longbow that while a little on in its years showed no signs of cracking though its colloring had seen better... decades probobly.

Anyway. Thanks and heyya folks!
Rogue.
Try PM kegan here for help...

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,194 Posts
I shoot Samick SLB longbows which are $200. I also have a long draw, about 32 1/2 AMO or a little under 32 with a longbow. I also have a Bear Cub which is an ambidextrous longbow. I see Cubs quite often on ebay. My Samicks are 30 and 35 pounds. The first weighs in at around 39 at my draw length. I have not weighed the 35 yet but I expect it to be 5 pounds heavier. I went the extra five pounds to get a better sight point at 60 yards for an American 900 or Imperial Windsor round (max 60 yards). I would also like to be able to get the distance for an Imperial Albion if possible (max 80 yards). Each are with wood arrows. The lighter bows is so that I can maintain form, I use a barebow variant of the BEST method which is a classic shooting style used by Olympic archers. I am working on shorter, lighter wood arrows. Currently, I am shooting 33 inch footed shafts that weight 611 gr. I have a 3Rivers test kit on the way. I have seen their arrows and was able to shoot them with my draw length. They provide 31 inches of wood between the point and the nock. Between the extra 5 pounds and the lighter arrow, I am hoping that I get the sight points that I need to go the distance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts