Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking in to getting my woman a Bear Siren for her wedding gift. my only worry is she is 5'2" the bow's peak weight is 50 # I know I can crank it down to 40# but do you think for her that will be in her range?? It's her first bow I was looking at the bear A3 but it just looks cheap to me and I can get this bow for $75 buck more so y not??? just asking what yall's women are shooting

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hey bud I bought my wife the apprentice 3 because of the adjustability factor. My wife is petite and she had never shot a bow in her life so with the bow backed off all the way she still struggled to pull it back at all. Over time as she developed the muscle memory and technique we started adding turns. I don't know your wife's experience level with the bow but you defiantly don't want her over bowed and intimidated instead of comfortable and keen to shoot. Just my 2 cents but I hope this info helps.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I bought my wife a Bear Siren. I bought it with 60lb limbs. My mistake. It is at the shop as we speak waiting on 40lb max limbs. I think that if my wife gets into shooting her bow as much as I am, then she will go out and buy the bow she wants. Although, the Siren is a sweet bow. If I were a girl I'd shoot one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh wow I didn't think many women shot the apprentice Feral buster does your wife hunt with her's???

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
40 lb is too much to start, my gf shoots an adjustable youth compound started out low and now loves it, could not get her to switch if I wanted to!

·
Registered
641 Posts
oh wow I didn't think many women shot the apprentice Feral buster does your wife hunt with her's???
Not yet mate but I'm sure that the apprentice will be more than capable at taking game when the time comes. At my wife's draw length it maxes out at around 50lb which is plenty to take down a critter. She will have to work up to that weight but can comfortably shoot the bow atm and enjoys her shooting which to me is the major thing at the moment. I don't know many Aussie women who hunt that are shooting over 45 or so pounds in draw weight. It's all about distance and shot placement with a good heavy arrow and the critters will fall even to low poundage bows.

·
Registered
20,642 Posts
I like the Siren but its draw cycle is a little harsh compared to some other bows. It may not bet the best bet for a firs bow especially the 50lb max. I set up new shooters all the time and most of the women think they can draw at least 15lbs more than they actually can. If they say put it at 40lbs they usually end up with it between 20 and 25 so they can shoot more than 5 arrows. 40lbs doesn't seem like much but if you've never done it, it can be a lot. You may want to check out the Apprentice 3 if you're set on a Bear. I'm a huge Bear fan but I really like the Diamond Infinite Edge for a beginner bow. I don't like Diamond/Bowtech customer service but that bow is impressive.

I know a lot of women and kids that kill deer every year with their Apprentice bows. Many get pass throughs because they have a good arrow setup. Easton Axis arrows and a cut on contact broadhead and it's a very lethal bow. A Magnus Stinger is a great option for a broadhead.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I originally bought my g/f an apprentice2 that she did all her learning on, then she seen the bear finese at our local archery shop. I gave her the go ahead to traded off her apprentice2 for it and she hasnt looked back. It has a longer a2a and just as much adjustability as the apprentice2, she has it set down to 35 lbs and shoits awesome groups at 30 yds

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mine has a "lights out" for hunting, she bought it 6 years ago. It is set for 45#s at 25" draw. She has several longbows and recurves rated from 35#s up to 50#s at 28", her Olympic Style bow has 42# limbs and is 36#s at her draw. Best to have her draw a few lower pound bows before you buy..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts