Archery Talk Forum banner

Looking at new bows.

906 Views 15 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  kilotanker19
I'm new to archery and have read just about every thread on AT and have learned a tremendous amount about archery in a short time. I will soon be pulling the trigger on a new bow and have a few questions.
I have taken the advice of most on here and have shot just about every bow I can get my hands on,

Assassin - I liked but definitely felt the hump in the draw cycle
Diamond Outlaw - felt small amount of vibration that I didn't feel with the Assassin.
Bow madness XS - like the grip and has good draw cycle with no vibration.
Rampage XT - going to shoot Fri.
Vendetta XS - shooting Fri.

So my questions are what is the difference between a 2010 madness XS and a 2011? My dealer has a 2010 marked down to $429 bare bow so I'm wondering if that is a good deal?
Also do PSE have junk factory strings? The madness has a tube on the peep which I don't like and believe it indicates a lower quality string.

Thanks in advance
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
705 Posts
The PSE 2010 is the same as the 2011. The madness is a great bow and the strings are of good quality. the peep sight tubing is added to the string but not part of it, and has nothing to do with string quality. If you don't like that peep you can always switch to a tubeless one.

· Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats good news. Thought I might have to replace string on bmxs right away.
Thanks

· Registered
739 Posts
i dont own a pse so im not a fanboy sticking up for them but I would honestly say in my opinion pse has the best stock strings out of any company if i was you i would just replace the tubed peep with a g5 meta peep i cant stand the peeps with tubes on them either

· Registered
55,450 Posts
There isn't really a bad bow on the market today and MOST have good string and cables on them today also to start with. Quite frankly you being a newbie I would suggest you stick with the stock strings until you gain some experience to know and see the difference. Learn to read between the lines on these sites. There is some good information but in the same respect there is a bunch of misinformation on here also. Let the bow pick YOU, you will know it when you shoot it. Price on the 2010 Madness is a good price and the bow is a very nice mid line priced bow with a good company behind it.
Good Luck.

· Registered
1,450 Posts
I think you would like the assassin better over all, a $20 stabilizer will take that vibration away. I think you could get a new assassin for around $600 and that comes with the rak package, peep,quiver,rest,sights,stabilizer,wrist sling. If you add all these to the price of the bowmadness it's going to be way over $600. bear makes some decent bows for not alot of money that have already been packaged you might try them.since your new to the sport I wouldn't go all out on a bow yet.

· Banned
660 Posts
x2 I agree, let the bow pick YOU, not someone on archery talk trying to pick the bow for you. Try a bunch of different bows. Have fun & good luck! :thumbs_up
couldnt have said it better:thumbs_up

· Registered
39 Posts
i just bought a 2011 PSE vendetta xs last night and the strings that come on it are just a "factory" string that PSE uses, and if you do alot of shooting they recommend changing them. The bowmadness xs has the americas best strings on them, so they are of higher quality.

· Registered
55,450 Posts
i just bought a 2011 PSE vendetta xs last night and the strings that come on it are just a "factory" string that PSE uses, and if you do alot of shooting they recommend changing them. The bowmadness xs has the americas best strings on them, so they are of higher quality.
The Madness does not have AB string and cable-------Only the X-Force line have AB string and cables standard on them.

· Registered
100 Posts
I just looked up the bowmadness xs and the 2011 has a 8" brace height, 29 1/4" ata, and weighs 4.2 lbs.. The 2010 has 7.375" brace height, 28." ata and weighs 3.7 lbs. I think that the single cam is different on both years because the IBO is just about the same with differnet brace heights, I think. That's the diffenrces I found out, but you can go to PSE website and see what you find.

· Registered
1,998 Posts
I think when you shoot the Vendetta XS you will make up your mind, smooth with a lot more speed than the BMXS. The stock strings on the BM & V are not the best, but if you are not a full time shooter you will get a lot of mileage out of them. If there are any left over axes be sure to check them out, very smooth also, little more speed, better strings. Good luck.

· Registered
5,442 Posts
Your not going to go wrong with any of those choices. Just pick the one that feels the best to you.

· Registered
438 Posts
also i think you should try some of the elite bows. the z28 is a great one and you can find them all set up for around $500. plus best carry over warranty in the industry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.