Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping for new arrow setup and have been reading all these heavy arrow posts. I like the weight of the Black Eagle arrows but I haven't come across any that are standard diameter ( like GT). Any recommendations?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
How heavy?

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
.300 velocity xt with some brass inserts or gold tip 50 gr insert and then add gold tip weights to the exact weight you want or victory v-force.300 with a 100 gr brass insert....

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
.300 velocity xt with some brass inserts or gold tip 50 gr insert and then add gold tip weights to the exact weight you want or victory v-force.300 with a 100 gr brass insert....
This. Don’t focus on the GPI part of the arrow. Actually, if I were you, I’d lean toward looking for a lower GPI shaft in a 300 spine and do exactly what Grizz said, add the weight up front to get you to that 475-500 Mark.

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
Gold tips are my favorite to build now,as I really like their weight system and I havent found a tougher arrow then a gold tip,they are neck and neck with carbon force radial weaves for toughness.

I have 3 batches of velocity xt's built in different weights,i think my favorites are the ones that are 460 gr with a 125 gr broadhead or 490 gr with a 150 gr broadhead.I never reuse my arrows,well rarely.I have put the one velocity xt through 3 bears and 4 whitetails the last few years and a tom last spring....they have done me well......I think there are lots of excellent options out there...but my preference is the mexican arrows....:darkbeer:.........Grizz

·
Banned
18,551 Posts
Black eagle has 2 options that take standard size arrows the carnivore and the outlaw. Both are great arrows. The outlaw will allow you to add a liitle more FOC while keeping the total weight down in the range you are wanting

Could build a 350 outlaw shaft cut 28” with 125 grain heads, 100 grain brass insert, 3 blazers and standard nock will get you to 490 grains and around 17% FOC. Would be a good arrow setup in my opinion

A 340 gold tip velocity would net you almost the same weights as the shaft gpi is just a touch less at 8.2 vs 8.6. Both would be great setups

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
Gold tips are my favorite to build now,as I really like their weight system and I havent found a tougher arrow then a gold tip,they are neck and neck with carbon force radial weaves for toughness.

I have 3 batches of velocity xt's built in different weights,i think my favorites are the ones that are 460 gr with a 125 gr broadhead or 490 gr with a 150 gr broadhead.I never reuse my arrows,well rarely.I have put the one velocity xt through 3 bears and 4 whitetails the last few years and a tom last spring....they have done me well......I think there are lots of excellent options out there...but my preference is the mexican arrows....:darkbeer:.........Grizz
Used to be a gold tip velocity person. Made great arrows for building foc, but about 3 years ago I had to batches that where not good. I went to Black Eagle. Never looked back

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
Used to be a gold tip velocity person. Made great arrows for building foc, but about 3 years ago I had to batches that where not good. I went to Black Eagle. Never looked back
I also own and have owned different types of black eagles,I have a dz .300 outlaws built with 100 gr brass inserts.I think be arrows are decent,I had others and sold them.I like victory and gold tips over them myself.I think the victory v-force and gold tips are tougher but they are all good arrows to work with....

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
Try a few different types/brands out from lancaster.I buy all my arrows from there,unless I see really good deals on amazon.I will be placing another order in the next few weeks for more arrows to build...it makes the warm summer evenings melt into autumn quicker....Grizz

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Try a few different types/brands out from lancaster.I buy all my arrows from there,unless I see really good deals on amazon.I will be placing another order in the next few weeks for more arrows to build...it makes the warm summer evenings melt into autumn quicker....Grizz
Good advice here! In fact, call Lancaster and request a catalog. They have most of the arrows available with all the insert options as well. I always keep my Lancaster catalog next to the toilet for research. LOL.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Black eagle zombie slayers are a heavier gpi standard dia shaft

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Another vote for Gold Tip Velocity...

Just built:
GT Velocity XT 300 27"
100gr insert
100gr tip ... 485 grains ~16-17% FOC
OR
125gr tip ... 510 grains ~18-19% FOC
Wrap & 3 Blazers

They shoot great!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Easton hexx or da torch are good for building a heavier arrow and having good f.o.c. They also have a 260 spine that is only 9.3 go. You can lad the front with 75 gr brass inserts and use a 125 gr point and be around 495 or so depending upon length.

OP, I have 6 new 260 hexx if you are interested.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
GT Hunter 300 - 26.75" of carbon
100gr insert
100gr broadhead adapter
125gr broadhead
29" draw...70#

Total weight was 622gr with 21%FOC

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
GT Hunter 300 - 26.75" of carbon
100gr insert
100gr broadhead adapter
125gr broadhead
29" draw...70#

Total weight was 622gr with 21%FOC
That's as much weight up front as a lot of people shoot in their entire shaft LOL

1 - 20 of 43 Posts