Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a burner with a HHA sight and a 12" doinker that i use for hunting. In the 3d shoots I have always shot open class and just feel like im at a disadvantage. I would like to know what you think is more important... a long ATA bow, or the target sights and long stabilizer. Or should I get both. When i do my part I can hold my own at the local shoots but I want to have the best tools to be competitive. Thanks-austin

· Registered
1,807 Posts
I've had everything from the PSE moneymaker, to the Hoyt Elite series, and it's very difficult to say what is best or more important. I shot my best 3d score with a Mathews Apex with full target stab set-up and slide bar, but on the flip side i shot my best spot score with an Athens Accomplice shooting a five pin sight with a 4" stab (300 58X). I had a bag target set-up at exactly 75 yards from my side porch and would shoot at it from there and my best groups by far on that bag were from my old Mathews switchback. I think its a mental thing for the most part. If you feel confident it will shoot well then more than likely your going to shoot it well and vice versa. You just have to try different things and see what works for you.

· Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never shot a sight with a lens. I just believe that if you can make the target bigger it has to be more accurate. I have read that the lens blurrs the target for some people and I wonder how much more steady a long stabilizer will actually be. I have thought about getting a 60# burner so it wouldnt be such a big change from hunting.

· Registered
3,393 Posts
Your bow is fine, any bow can really be a 3D bow. Thats besides the point.

You are correct, a lens will help you see the target and you will probably need a clarifier. I would probably say the most important of the 3 you listed is the stabilizer. You can always move your pin slightly to position it differently to make a shot, but it doesn't help if you aren't steady enough to notice the pin location difference. That even goes for if you have a lens without a stabilizer system that steady you, if you aren't steady if doesn't matter how well you can see that target. You will still be off when you shoot. You can use your HHA as a target sight, as it does accept a lens. If I was in your case, I would try to pick up a lens and a stabilizer set. These 2 together will really help you in the long run.

· Registered
5,872 Posts
I just setup a strother infinity, i'm hoping to shoot it for 3d this weekend. I was shooting a gt500 before and it shot awesome, I think haeving a bow that fits is just as critical as the model.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.