Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I have been shooting bows since the 3rd grade and am 35 now. I live in a unique neighborhood that has about 2000 homes. For several years I have lobbied the owners association to build an archery range. The project snowballed and more people got invovled and it became a reality over the summer. Now you know some history here is the question. I am a bowhunter that is now getting more involved in target shooting because I have a range down the street. I currently shoot a Mathews Q2 which I enjoy. I would like to make the Q2 a dedicated hunting bow and buy a more target oriented bow to use at the range for our various mathces, leauge night, etc. I am not married to any manufacturer. I think most of the big manufactureres are putting out some pretty good equipment now days. I also don't want to spend a ton of money. Are there any good sleeper target/3D bows out there that can be bought for a reasonable price ($600 or less)? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Brazos

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I think that most bows would make good target/3D rigs. Seriously. As long as it fits well. You can add target oriented sights and stabilizers to almost any bow and have an instant target rig. Sure, some target models have higher BHs, softer cams and so on, but fit is the most important thing. The sky is the limit, man! Go shopping! Because, in all honesty, noone can pick it for you. So enjoy the bow shopping process. It is fun to shop for a new bow anyway.

·
74,535 Posts
My choices

Would be the Apex7 or the Prestige.

Theres a few food buys in the Classifiads from time to time.

I truly enjoy my Apex7.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
if it was me I would stick to a 38+ ata such as in the PSE line the Shark or Mojo....I am shooting the shark and performance is really good....29", 60#, 337 gr. arrow at 293.....it is 38 7/8". w/8" brace height and cam and 1/2 design....it'll be my hunting bow this fall.

just an opinion

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
For the money a good used conquest 3 or maybe a generation 2 from pearson. There are alot of good bows so shoot a bunch. For target you might want to get something that is atleast 37 inches Ata and has atleast a 7inch brace height. Good luck and way to go on getting the range .

·
Spot Shooter
2,128 Posts
When you say you want a bow for target/3D are you talking just 3D or are you looking at shooting spots also? This can be difficult to get a bow for both. Usually a spot bow is longer, slower, high brace height and lower bow weight were as a 3D bow is shorter, low brace height for speed and higher poundage which all helps in a flatter arrow trajectory. Sometimes it's hard to get one that does both. Bow weight for spots is usually low enough that you can shoot all day. Speed is not an issue because of the set 20 yard distance. Not saying it can't be done with one but I feel to be serious at either one it takes a specific bow and setup.

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably more for target.

Our range is 50 yards with butts at 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards. So unlike 3D I know my distances and having a flat shooting bow is not as important. I was thinking a little about a 3D type bow incase my interest took me there. Of course there is no one bow that is perfect for everything. I was looking for something with a longer axle to axle and BH.

Brazos

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bow Tech Old Glory,

Fast and forgiving with light arrows for 3D and it is a great choice for target also with big fat heavy line cutters

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am LH

I am left handed so your bow would not work for me. Seems like a good deal though. I plan to buy this bow after deer season. There are some gadgets on my Q2 I plan to switch over to the target bow but I can't until deer season is over. I am starting my research now so I have my act togather before Santa comes.

Brazos

1 - 11 of 11 Posts