Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering selling off my compound rig and getting a recurve set up. I would like some input as to which bows i should look at. Maybe around the $300 range to get into it? I was thinking about a hoyt gamemasterII or maybe a pse coyote something of that nature. Also this bow will be used for hunting whitetails so any input on draw weight and arrow size would be appreciated.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I did the same and sold all my Matrix and Element for a recurve. I recommend a Samick Sage which cost new $130 and get a 30-35lb limb. This will allow you to develop good form and gives you time to figure out if you like this before dumping a lot of money. This is the same advice I took from this forum and I am glad I listen. Recurve is so much fun.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Sage is a great bow to test the waters. You can also get a 21" Hoyt Excel riser and a set of 35# limbs for about $300 total to start, and then jsut get a heavier set of limbs for about $120. I wouldn't sell your compound off too soon though, because if your form is the same with both the practice with each can help the other, and it's always nice to have toys ;)

·
Registered
20,536 Posts
buck -

Sage is a great bow to test the waters. You can also get a 21" Hoyt Excel riser and a set of 35# limbs for about $300 total to start, and then jsut get a heavier set of limbs for about $120. I wouldn't sell your compound off too soon though, because if your form is the same with both the practice with each can help the other, and it's always nice to have toys ;)
I think Kegan summed it up pretty well.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So a 35 pound recurve is plenty to hunt with? And i havnt noticed alot of shops around me carrying traditional equipment so what is a good internet source to buy from?

·
Registered
541 Posts
35lb is not enough for hunting. It is good poundage to start to develop proper form. Since the recurve has no let off it is important to take it slowly. Last thing you want is to develop bad form or injury your shoulder. Once you get the hang of it then go buy a set of limbs that are 45lb or higher.

You are check out 3 River Archery or Lancaster Archery for your traditional supplies.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It is a good idea to keep one compound for hunting. Once you develop your skills for the recurve then you could always sell the compound.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Depends on the 35# bow. The 35-40# hybrid bows I've built are mean little bows, and with the right arrow would and could easily kill a deer. Bigger than that, no, but your average white tail certainly. Just make sure you use a good broadhead, like a Zwickey, STOS, or Magnus.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
I've made a few hybrids at 30#, 35#, and 40#, all shot with a 26" draw by my good friend. At 30# at 26", I wouldn't think it would be a true deer-sized killer, but when I shot it drawing it to 28-29" and 35# it shot hard and straight enough that with the right arrow at close range it would be a fair weapon, but only if tipped with a razor sharp COC head. I wouldn't hesitate to take a 40# bow hunting for white tail with the same style of broadhead though. Draw length does play a big role with these lighter weight bows though.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks Kegan, I learned a few things for your post. I still have not measure my draw length yet but from my compound days I was 29.5-30" depending on the bow. I do shoot 31" arrows.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Thanks Kegan, I learned a few things for your post. I still have not measure my draw length yet but from my compound days I was 29.5-30" depending on the bow. I do shoot 31" arrows.
I also forgot to mention that not all bows are made the same. I really built in quite a bit of reflex in my hybrids for the sake of being able to get high speeds and amounts of power. Recurves like the Martin Hunter are also high-reflex models, but other bows do not have the same net reflex. Like a longer draw, more reflex can make the difference between a 35# bow being a big game weapon and a target bow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts