Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boys are too young to shoot enough weight for a compound. So wanting to get them a crossbow for the time being. Want some suggestions on a decent xbow that won’t break the wallet. I’m not worried about anything special, just something to kill a whitetail. Would it be worthwhile to get a crank for cocking or just pull cord suffice. Thanks for any feedback

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol, thanks Jim. As far as budget goes, I would like to keep it around $500, if that’s even possible for a decent one. This is just something that the boys would use until the can pull enough weight for a compound. They love to shoot their little vertical bows bow

·
Registered
52,323 Posts
Cocking by themselves, probably not. Just like not hunting without adult supervision. You wll be there to cock it for them.
Take a look at Wickedridge Ranger. Made for youth and some women.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for not being more informative on this topic. They will NOT be cocking it by themselves. I was asking for myself. Was it worth getting a crossbow with the crank or is it easy enough to use rope. I’ve never had a crossbow and never cocked one. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
As has been mentioned I would stay away from barnett.....that being said I have a Barnett recruit for my kids and they've killed several deer with it. But I had a warranty issue with it and they fixed it but it was a total headache through the whole process. Also the bolts and screws don't stay tight on the shooting mechanism so I'm constantly checking them. I would suggest a bear intense or wicked ridge crossbow made by tenpoint.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just picked up a new Centerpoint Amped 425 ready-to-shoot package w/a pack of 125 gr crossbow rated broadheads for $467 out the door at a local shop. Meets most all the criteria you're looking for. It's pretty front heavy and the trigger is light enough but has tons of take-up/creep (good practice for slow, steady squeeze I guess). It's just got the rope to cock it but that isn't bad at all. Easy enough to assemble and start screaming bolts across the yard... it's consistently accurate out to 80 yds using reference points on the included scope's reticle.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh nice, I’ve looked online like crazy so far. I’ve looked at the amped 425 and it looks legit. I’ll have to go to my local archery shop and hopefully get a couple in my hands.

·
"GO BUCKS!!!"
6,698 Posts
Oh nice, I’ve looked online like crazy so far. I’ve looked at the amped 425 and it looks legit. I’ll have to go to my local archery shop and hopefully get a couple in my hands.
A friend of mine as the Amped 425, this bow is very accurate, and very quiet. I will say he did have to replace the limbs due to a crack, but they fixed him right up. For the money you cant beat it. Just make sure to get a great quality arrow, that makes a world of difference,
Good luck to you and the kiddos!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
My boys are too young to shoot enough weight for a compound. So wanting to get them a crossbow for the time being. Want some suggestions on a decent xbow that won’t break the wallet. I’m not worried about anything special, just something to kill a whitetail. Would it be worthwhile to get a crank for cocking or just pull cord suffice. Thanks for any feedback
The problem is the size and weight of the average bow. An eight year old is about four feet tall and weighs about Fifty pounds.
Most crossbows are about 30"-36" inches and bare bow weight of 7 lb.? That is a lot of weight to support for someone only 4' tall
If you want something lite weight , in a short package, look into th Hickory Creek mini inline.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input Ezekiel, but I would have them shooting a xbow like a rifle out of a box blind or ground blind with shooting sticks. But I get your point about the weight. Thanks again for posting.

·
Vendor
26,464 Posts
The inline mini can be mounted to shooting sticks and or tripod. That said Jerry also makes what he calls a survival bow. I talked to him tonight and he said he could make it with a bull pup stock which can be adjustable for your boys. The base price is $350 and this bow only weighs 4 pounds. Has a trigger that is less than 3 pounds and breaks like glass, no travel.
Give Jerry a call at 228-596-2414. Tell him what you are looking for and he will help you. Here is the link for the survival crossbow.

·
Huntoholic
10,843 Posts
I'd by them something that would last a lifetime, and do it under 500 bucks, that is deadly accurate, like an Excalibur 330 Matrix, 308 Axe, 340 mag, just watch the classifieds;

Oh ya and since it is an Excalibur,,, lifetime no questions asked warranty!

Reactions: aporter1608

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Yep, at that age, you will be cocking it for them, and supervising. I would lean towards something that a smaller person can handle, like the WR Ranger, rather than get caught up in the speed thing, with a crossbow so big and heavy they could (for years) only shoot off a solid rest. I started my son with an Excalibur Vixen over 10 years ago, but he was 11 at the time. Most of the newer andmore expensive Excaliburs feel pretty heavy to me. The one that doesn’t is the Mag 340.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to everyone that has commented so far. I really appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. I went and ahead and bought the centerpoint dagger 390. We are heading out of town today and decided to hop on it instead of waiting. I know the boys are going to be thrilled to shoot it. Only question I have left is about a tripod vs bipod vs monopod for them to use. So we most likely will be hunting out of pop up ground blind, my thought is to get a primos trigger stick monopod for them to use as a rest out of it. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts