Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Wont talk about the bow as Im not much help there since I tend to shoot custom bows...

As far as the arrows go, there is no "better" based on your question. It boils down to personal preference and shooting style. I make 70-100 dozen arrows a year for myself and customers and I can tell you from experience that I prefer sitka spruce. PO is alright but for shooting in the SCA tends to not last as long as the spruce shafts do but there is nothing wrong with PO shafts. I would stay away from bamboo unless you have a specific need for it. My buddy shoots a japaneese Yumi and has had to shoot bamboo because he needed 39" arrows. We just now are getting him away from bamboo using footed spruce shafts.

hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
check here too.

www.dryridgearchery.com Tim has an economy longbow for around $200 to your specs.Very good guy too.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I would ask the bowyer about the wood he thinks works good.
But, personally I dont think it matters that much...but I'm not into cosmetics as far as appearance goes. A lot of good shootin bows are made out of maple limbs with hardcore maple risers.
Example: The Pittsley Predator Hunter model [ black glass-babinga riser] shoots as good as the exotic wood models. Ron Pittsley told me that a while back. Since I mentioned the Predator,...it is the best wood riser recurve I've shot, but that's my opinion.
Out of all the recurves I've shot the Quinn Stallion is the best!
There again , that's my opinion. God bless.

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
If possible, try to find a used Sentman "Deluxe" longbow made by Gary Sentman, or a newer Moosejaw longbow, also made by Gary. The Elite is probably the best of the Moosejaw models, but the Razorback is good as well. Very quick and most Sentman/Moosejaw owners love them, hence your rarely seeing them for sale

1 - 12 of 12 Posts