Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have not purchased a bow yet. Some may say, get a cheaper bow first to get used to archery, than after a year or so, get a better bow. Others may say, get the bow that you want, and spend a extra few bucks if necessary to get a higher quality piece of equipment.

· Registered
10,560 Posts
Better to buy what you want the first time or its a lot more money at the end and a used bow a couple wks. old lots of money lost to resale it. Look at what Pearson has this year for 09 TX-4 with the new R2B2 binary cam 361fps-IBO and the Z-34 in the 340to350fps range. Or the Z-7 single cam on them and TX-4 has a 330IBO. Oldest bow maker since 1927 and Barnsdale limbs to.

· Registered
30,683 Posts
My advise is to get a less expensive or used bow for the first time. Get one that is easy to adjust so that you can play with different anchor points, releases, etc.
It is important to have a bow that fits you. But if you don't yet know how it is supposed to fit, then how can you decide which one is right for you? As you learn, you will figure out which features you do or do not want in a bow. Then you are going to want to upgrade in a year or so anyway.
Don't skimp on quality, otherwise you will get frustrated and not want to shoot. But I would not recommend a thousand dollar set up on your first bow. Save that big purchase for when you really know what you want.

· Registered
750 Posts
I would suggest, go to a local pro shop and shoot as many bows as you can. See what feels the most comfortable to you. The shop will be able to measure your draw length and adjust draw weight so you can get a better idea of what you want. Then get the bow that feels and fits you the best. If you figure out what bow you want and don't want to spend as much money as a new one is at the pro shop, look for a used one that is the same model with the same specs that you liked at the pro shop.

· Banned
204 Posts
shoot them all!

go to a dealer and shoot as many bows as you can, multiple dealers if nessesary, and get the bow that you thought felt the best.get your draw length and poundage the same on all the test bows (best way to test) and the one thats most comfortable to shoot is the one. dont let the price get in the way, there is a chance you may not shoot that particular cheeper bow better.. it will pay for itself the first time you hunt. not saying that the cheaper bow is not a bad choice, as it may not be, it could be just the one, but shoot them all, or as many as you can.

· Registered
1,720 Posts
I was having the same dilemma when I was buying my first bow last month... I didn't want to spend a fortune on my first bow but also wanted something that was nice enough to shoot well and keep me happy for a while. Obviously brand is personal preference but I ended up going with the Hoyt Powerhawk (500.). I love this bow and think i made a great choice. It's easy to adjust the draw length with nothing more than and allen wrench and about 30 seconds. I have shot other bows at the range I go to that were much more expensive and I have yet to find one that was able to justify the extra 300-350 bux they cost. Most of the time I can tell the other guy is all proud and thinking his bow is so much better, but the fact is mine shoots just as well.

· Registered
57 Posts
1st Bow

I had the same dilema when I wanted to start a couple years ago. I talked to a lot of people and looked at a lot of bows. I waited about a year and then picked up a new Drenalin late in 2007 when they had them marked down. I love it and am glad I waited a while and saved the extra bucks to get a higher end bow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.