Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the EZ Green wins by price. But the Bow-A-Constrictor is winning by functionality. Both claim to press everything. Anyone have/had both and can give recommendations for one over the other?

Also, what comes with a base BOA? In other words, do you need to buy some kind of mounting system (bench, floor, adjustable, etc.) along with the base BOA to use it?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. Couldn't decide between these two presses. Then I looked into the bow time machine.

Best of both worlds. Quality is to notch. Working on a bow upright took about 5 minutes to get used to.

If you want a draw board built into your press I'd take a look.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
I have the Bow-A and really like it. It takes awhile to set up. I recently bought a Bow Time Machine and for pressing a bow you can't find anything faster. It is a great press and can be used as a draw board also. The BowA can be used as a draw board too. My goto press for most of my pressing needs is the bow time machine. You can go from one bow to the next in seconds. Sootballs here on AT makes and sells them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Time Machine is a nice looking press, but I ruled that one out on price. The EZ Green works the same way as the Time Machine, but doesn't have the draw board option. And the EZ Green is less expensive.
The draw board option is not really a concern right now. I have a simple draw board built, if I need one. If I do get the BOA, I can upgrade the draw board feature later.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the Bow-A and really like it. It takes awhile to set up. I recently bought a Bow Time Machine and for pressing a bow you can't find anything faster. It is a great press and can be used as a draw board also. The BowA can be used as a draw board too. My goto press for most of my pressing needs is the bow time machine. You can go from one bow to the next in seconds. Sootballs here on AT makes and sells them.
I think this is the first post I have read where someone has a Bow-A and prefers something else. I understand you are not saying the BOA is a bad press, but maybe slow? Is it only because you are switching between bows a lot that you prefer the Time Machine style press for most work?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I am in the market and after a lot of looking around, I think I am going to order a synunm press. Might be something worth looking at...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in the market and after a lot of looking around, I think I am going to order a synunm press. Might be something worth looking at...
No, I have a portable press already. My needs are for a bench mount press, althought the Synunm looks nice.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I've got an EZ green motorized and a Bow-a. I'll admit the only advantage to the EZ green and its copies is switching from bow to bow. In the same token though I can honestly have someone hand me ANY bow ever made and have my Boa set up for it in less than 20 seconds...is that really something to worry about! The advantages of the boa are numerous. A few of the things I appreciate are :
-that I work on the bow in the horizontal position.
-It holds bows securely at the riser and at the limb tips.
-you can work on crossbows
-major work like limb swaps are much safer (especially on the extreme preloaded style bows) with the Boa
-customer service is way beyond top notch.
etc
Honestly I could go on and on
What the OP should know is this. I had a VERY busy bow shop for 2 years. I've had every kind and style of bow out in my shop at one time or another. I've had 4 different presses and have tried others during or before this time period. The ONLY one through all that that I feel I couldn't do withought (especially for major tear down work) was the boa. You can keep the 10 or 15 seconds extra setup between bows...especially for a home user is it even a consideration? I'll take what is the most functional and safe.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've owned the Ez and an xpress and now I own two Bowa's. I make strings and tune bows as a second job so I needed a press that could safely and efficiently press any bow or crossbow on the market and that is why I bought my first Bowa. I loved that press enough to get another one to store in a bow case and take to the outdoor range or to shoots. I have seen the time machine up close and it didn't impress me to be honest and I just don't feel that it is of the same quality as the Bowa. You don't need to take my word for it though...just look around at some popular tuners/string makers who throw a pile of different bows at their press every week and see what they are using. I know that Bowpro, Ex-Wolverine, and Baldy all use the Bowa and these are just names that I came up with off the top of my head. I have talked to a bunch of Bowa owners and never heard of a disappointed customer yet. Good luck with your decision....a bow press is a great investment!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All good input so far. Keep it coming. This will be for a home press, so yes the time to reset the press won't really be an issue.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I've got an EZ green motorized and a Bow-a. I'll admit the only advantage to the EZ green and its copies is switching from bow to bow. In the same token though I can honestly have someone hand me ANY bow ever made and have my Boa set up for it in less than 20 seconds...is that really something to worry about! The advantages of the boa are numerous. A few of the things I appreciate are :
-that I work on the bow in the horizontal position.
-It holds bows securely at the riser and at the limb tips.
-you can work on crossbows
-major work like limb swaps are much safer (especially on the extreme preloaded style bows) with the Boa
-customer service is way beyond top notch.
etc
Honestly I could go on and on
What the OP should know is this. I had a VERY busy bow shop for 2 years. I've had every kind and style of bow out in my shop at one time or another. I've had 4 different presses and have tried others during or before this time period. The ONLY one through all that that I feel I couldn't do withought (especially for major tear down work) was the boa. You can keep the 10 or 15 seconds extra setup between bows...especially for a home user is it even a consideration? I'll take what is the most functional and safe.
Have to agree. I have a Bow-A and absolutely love it. Haven't found anything yet it won't press, and Frank's customer service is amazing. I had a new X-Press Pro here in the shop for a while and sold it, it'll be getting replaced with another Bow-A. The linear presses have their fans, and are nice for doing certain things to a bow, but I have people drive from all over the area to use my Bow-A to tune their bows and set timing with the draw board attachment. Plus being able to pack it down into a Plano bow case and take it with you to shoots or wherever is extremely nice.

·
Banned
9,000 Posts
Hands down the Boa is the best designed bow press on the market. Plenty of other presses will press most bows but the Boa will press any bow and do it with a level of safety for both the user and the bow that other presses can't match. If you are serious about working on bows get a Boa up front and save the frustration of having to upgrade later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts