Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new release to try and cure some trigger punching. I currently use a truefire hardcore max and have noticed that I've started to punch the trigger alot and anticipate the shot. However, I have tried a BT and still that is the uneasiest of feelings I've ever had and do not like that feeling at all. So, I'm looking into getting a new release and something that could help me not punch the trigger so much and have very little muscle movement or just need just a "flick" to fire at the right moment. I don't know whats out there that would be worth trying. Looking to you all for help.

Thanks

·
USMC 04/2005-05/2013
3,603 Posts
Hair trigger in my opinion goes to a Stan JustX. Zero trigger travel when set up. It is designed to have no travel at all. Release runs small for most people. So you may want to consider going the next size up.

·
Registered
16,959 Posts
changing releases won't cure your punching. The only thing that will cure that is training.

Get a coach.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
If you have a release that feels new and uneasy as you stated you won't feel as comfortable and probably won't punch as bad. If you want a trigger release I would get a quality thumb release and set that trigger nice and light. It might help a little bit till you get used to it.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Just got it recently, a Stan Shootoff thumb trigger. Set at no travel , fairly heavy, with thumb on the trigger I pull with ring finger, boom!
After having adjusted it I realized that heavy trigger with no travel is better, at least for me

·
Registered
112 Posts
I felt uneasy when i started with back tension but I made up my mind that i was going to shoot it and now it feels so natural I probably wont ever shoot a trigger again
I bought a TRU Ball HBX at Worlds this year and WOW It fits my shooting style perfectly
If you can give the HBX a try

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
As Fury90 says, you are thinking about it all wrong. Get a coach if you can. Another good option is to use the release you have. It's a good one. Set the tension as heavy as it will go. Remove the sight from the bow and start doing some blind bale shooting at about 6-10', concentrating on nothing but the release and how it should feel. Your problem is not with the release. It's between your ears and you need to retrain the brain.

One of the things that helps lead to target panic/punching is having a hair trigger. I've been there an done that and found that if you are afraid to draw the bow with your finger ON the trigger then it's set too light.

If on the other hand you decide that a BT release will help then you have to put all other releases away and dedicate yourself to it. It may come to you easily, but it also might be a struggle and take many months to almost master. Or it may not work for you at all. But rest assured your problem is mental.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have a release that feels new and uneasy as you stated you won't feel as comfortable and probably won't punch as bad. If you want a trigger release I would get a quality thumb release and set that trigger nice and light. It might help a little bit till you get used to it.
Agreed. If bt isn't an option try a thumber. But use it right to avoid target panic. You can punch it too if you don't do it right. Simply rest your thumb on the knob and once on target focus on burning that pin in and slowly move your index finger only towards the target like you are going to point at it. Yes I'm serious. The release will still be a surprise and will come off clean.

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,329 Posts
I use a thumb trigger (TRU Ball Absolute) but I set it so the pad of my thumb is resting on the outer edge of my forefinger when I have my thumb wrapped around the trigger. I then pull into the release and that makes the release go off, the pressure my thumb in applying on the trigger. In saying that I don't "try: to activate my thumb, it just is what is on the trigger when I pull into the release.

You need a quality release though too. I like the release I mentioned but there are others out there that are great as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts