Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to switch to a thumb trigger release this year after shooting an index trigger release. The reason I'm switching is that I get irritated having the release strapped to my wrist all the time. I've also whacked it on the stand a time or two and am afraid it'll happen when the buck of a lifetime is standing broadside at 20yards. I'm looking for a three finger model, and was looking for some suggestions. I'm leaning towards a carter insatiable 3, however I'm open to suggestions. I want one that I can attach to my loop and leave it there until I'm done hunting and has an adjustment for sensitivity. Thanks!!

·
DefiantShooter
10,943 Posts
TruBall

Look at the Pro Diamond Extreme..............

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Carter has many great choices in thumb trigger releases and I have one of them. That said I hunt with a Carter 2 Shot wrist strap release simply because "Murphy's Law works even better in the woods."
Dave Nowlin

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Carter

I had a Carter Target 4, but I could not get use to the thumb trigger, so I switched back to Scott mongoose release for 3-d and spot's. The carter release was very well constructed, and durable.

·
74,535 Posts
Carter BK Hunter

Is a good choice

·
Registered
296 Posts
another vote for tru ball

I have the chappy boss and that thing is awsome. It took me a while to get used to it but I wouldn't trade it for anything now.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have been using the Carter Same Old Thing for alot of years with no
complaints at all. I have 3 Carters now and use them all with the thumb
release for 3D and hunting.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I switched to the Truball Pro Diamond after last season and love it.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I tried a Carter hunter (I think) I could never get used to it, rather I liked the way it worked on the range where I could fully concentrate, but in the field...sitting, bending...
And, if you intend on making that radical of a change from finger release wrist strap to fingerheld thumb release you better put some heavy hours on this.
I liked the Carter, lite, thin, well made.
But....when I took the buck last year I messed up a 18 yard shot, the arrow went high and right from where I had aimed. Another 10 yards and I'd be one of those knobs asking how to find a nice deer...knock wood, never lost one- the shot still yanked both lungs, I was amazed at how far off the shot hit, and was feeling ill when I saw that white arrow land high instead of where I aimed.
You should have been practicing all summer to make the change instead of a few weeks before season.
I got a high quality wrist release and love it.
I posted an article on back tension (what you'll need to do for a thumbrelease) last spring here, maybe a search will show up.
Good luck, work hard if you decided to hunt with it.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
I've hunted for two seasons with the Chappy Boss and love it! I've played around with the Pro Diamond, but can't stand the trigger travel. You can buy a Chappy around here for about the same price as a PD. Go for the Chappy!

Not sure what CWG is talking about, but you do not have to use backtension with a thumb triggered release like the Chappy. You can use it as a command release. I also carry a spare release, just in case the one on the string does somehow get knocked off. This has only happened to me once in two years, and it happened while I was still setting up, so I just climbed down and retrieved it.

One other great thing about having it hooked up to the string all the time is that you don't even have to look down when picking up your bow for a shot.

Best Regards,
Byron

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I hunt with a Carter Insatiable II with heavy springs. It works great. Hook it to the D loop and its ready to go at all time, and my hands are free. Also I use a Carter all year for target archery, so I am very comfortable with it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I like the cheep one.

I love my TrueFire Stalker. I works great and only cost me $36.99. I may not be as "good" as a T.R.U.ball, but I'm using it for 3D, DART Shoots and Hunting. It hasn't let me down yet. It has adjustable travel and tension. Try it out.

Like someone else suggested, I carry an extra in the field just in case I drop it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts