Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be heading East with in the next month or so to see a very good friend, that I have known for sometime now.

I have flown many times before but never at this scale. Most of my air time has been involved with Cessna 150's and 172's but never to such a scale of a commercial aircraft as what is in use today.

I tried calling hotlines customer service for the four airlines that serve the airport in my area....Well, put it this way I would have had better results walking out into a farmers field and talking to the back end of as ***, if it didn't want to answer the questions at least it would have kicked me so I would have got the point, instead of playing dumb like the customer service reps did that I spoke with on the phone. :rolleyes:

I have plans of going to the terminal building tomarrow to speak with the sales agent there about what restrictions are there far as number of bags and the weight and so forth. And whether a bow would classify as a weapon, or not. When I spoke about that on the phone I got mixed opinions.

I should say I am looking for any advise that would ease things, any advise will help. I am all ears/eyes.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Travel

Well, I am no customer service rep for an airline, but I did fly 80,000 miles last year.

Restrictions:
Carry-on's: 1 plus a briefcase or purse
Bags: limit of 2 (or 60# total weight) You can take more bags, you just have to pay for them. Standard charge $25-$50 per bag.
I have traveled twice with the bow since 9-11. As long as you tell them what it is (they will want to look at it), you will not have an issue.

Be sure you are not carrying any pocket knives or the like, they will confiscate them at the security checkpoint.

Some advice on your arrows...go get a PVC tube with two end caps and use this for your arrow case so you can be sure there will not be any damage done.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 1Arrow1X,

Thats a big help

What should I be expecting far as lay overs. The flight I intend on taking will lay over at Chicago will I be changing planes?

Too with carryon's is there a weight limit for those?

I know that most airlines don't allow AM/FM radios what about CD players or MP3 players?

And is there any size limits with any of the luggage carry on or not. ?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Your itinerary should tell you how long your layover is. Could be anywhere from 45 Minutes to 3 hours. Be sure to take a hard look at your itinerary regarding your layover in Chicago. It is considered a "legal" connection if there is 30 minutes in between flights. However, I strongly suggest making sure your layover is at least 45 minutes. Chicago is a big airport and more often than not you will be a few minutes late flying in. If you are at the back of the plane coming in you are almost sure to miss your connection. Been there, done that (one too many times). Also, less than 45 minutes and your luggage likely will not make the second plane.

Limit for carry-on weight...whatever you can carry. But if you want advice from a guy who lugs a laptop and heavy briefcase around...THINK LIGHT.

As far as entertainment, you just can't use anything that transmits a signal. DVD's, CD, and MP3's are standard fare.

Never really pushed the limit on the size of the checked luggage, if there is a size limit. My aluminum bow case and my wifes largest suitcase (very large...VERY) never were an issue. There are, however, size restrictions on the carry-on's. Typically, depending on the size of the plane the rough dimensions are 12-14" thick x 30" tall x 18" wide. They will be able to tell you at the checkin counter if they will fit.

I am assuming you are flying out of Omaha? If so, is your plane to Chicago a jet or turbo prop?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Missed one of your questions there...I would bet your next paycheck you will be changing planes in Chicago. I have flown over 500,000 miles in the last 8 years and have never once stayed on the same plane in Chicago...especially flying out of Omaha. Thus my comment regarding the 45 minute layover.

Hey, I was drinking a few beers with a couple of guys from NE at Nationals last year. I was hanging with the Southern MN guys. You weren't one of them were you?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The itinerary I am looking at on the out bound flight I am looking at a 40min lay over at Chicago. I priced both flying out of Omaha and Lincoln and for the difference the drive to Omaha wouldn't be worth it. On the inbound (Return) flight I am looking at a 3 hour Layover at Chicago. Is there a way to find out if I will be changing planes at Chicago. According to the itinerary it will be the same model of aircraft on all four parts.

Far as luggage I don't mind them putting my bow and clothing below. I am concerned about my 35mm SLR. with the cargo hold not pressurized will the seals around the lenses blow as the plane climbs altitude? or possible blow the glass lenses them self out? My camera bag is the size of the larger than average duffle bag aprox 14X14X24. Should there be any probs taking it on board?

Now far as the nationals, I am not that lucky yet

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Plains! :eek:

What are you bringing....everything but the kitchen sink? LOL

relax - all will be cool - your camera lens will not blow out. If I can carry a duffled stuffed chock full of junk on to the plane as my carry one - as long as you can either shove it under the seat or up in one of those overhead compartments - you can "carry it on"!

3 hour layover in Chicago? Yick! Any better arrangement or is that the best way for the fare?

Scoobs

·
Registered
210 Posts
With a 40 minute layover, don't waste any time getting off the plane and to the next flight. To tell if you are changing planes, just look at the flight numbers of the two flights. If they are the same, you are on the same plane. If the flight numbers are different, you are chnging planes.

Carry your camera on, do not check it. It will certainly be small enough.

Good luck and travel safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts