Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’m thinking about selling off all of my target archery gear (that rarely gets used) and look into an electric bike. I will have roughly $2,500 to spend and want a bike that will go off-road and up hills.

There are a lot of conflicting reviews so I want to hear from the Hunting community on here.

Recommend a mid-drive motor or rear hub motor?

I’m pretty tall and there aren’t many around to look at and try. I’m 6’4” 215lbs.

I was looking at the Rambo and Rad e-bikes, but I’m sure there are many others.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
My advise would be to save more money and buy a Bakcou mule.I bought a Rambo last year.It's a great concept but the Rambo is average.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
You'll likely get some "mine's the best " replies so look for what appeals to you. I have a Rambo 750 that pulls a 300+ lb man on the cart with ease but that may not happen on steep hills. The 1000 watt motors will have more power but may not be legal in some places. Mid motors have very good torque but you will need to carry a chain repair kit because the bike is useless with a broken chain, where a rear hub drive can still be ridden with power. A front shock will be more comfortable as will a better seat.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hunt in PA and WV, anyone know what Watt motor is legal on gamelands/wmu’s?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If you want to go uphill and/or pull some weight, you’ll want a mid drive motor. They offer much more torque than a hub motor. Regardless of what brand of bike you go with, the majority of mid drive Ebikes have one of two motors on them - Either the Bafang BBS02 which you’ll commonly see associated with bikes being advertised as “750 watt” or the Bafang BBSHD which is commonly the “1000 watt” bikes. The HD is built with better components and is capable of handling more torque than the BBS02.

In addition to the motors, some other components I would look for when comparing bikes are fixed forks vs suspension (suspension will absorb bumps better and make for a more comfortable ride), disc brakes vs hydraulic (hydraulic is better), and internal rear gear hub instead of a rear cassette with a derailleur. The IGH is a better setup for off-road use since you won’t have to worry about something getting caught in the derailleur or it breaking off, or the chain coming off while switching gears. All the gear switching is done within the sealed rear hub with an IGH.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I found the bike for me, the Rambo Savage 750W. It has a mid-drive motor!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have been looking at hardcore bikes. They sound good, but I really don’t know what I’m looking at. I’d really like to demo one before I buy. The new model has front and rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Interesting topic for me, too. I'd love to hear from people who have an ebike. There's a steep hill on my hunting property that is about 400ft vertical climb in short distance. I have to climb that hill every hunt to access the ridge top. Once up there I can travel with ease, but getting up there sucks. I'm so sweaty by the time I get to the ridge that scent control in a non-issue. It becomes entirely about hunting the wind. If an ebike could get me up there without getting sweaty, it would be worth its weight in gold to me. I'd already have bought one except I'm afraid I'll spend a few grand only to find out it won't climb that hill, and I haven't yet seen or heard anything to give me confidence.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
It's not widely advertised but the Bafang 750 watt motor will peak at 1000. I don't know what the 1000 watt motors peak at.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Interesting topic for me, too. I'd love to hear from people who have an ebike. There's a steep hill on my hunting property that is about 400ft vertical climb in short distance. I have to climb that hill every hunt to access the ridge top. Once up there I can travel with ease, but getting up there sucks. I'm so sweaty by the time I get to the ridge that scent control in a non-issue. It becomes entirely about hunting the wind. If an ebike could get me up there without getting sweaty, it would be worth its weight in gold to me. I'd already have bought one except I'm afraid I'll spend a few grand only to find out it won't climb that hill, and I haven't yet seen or heard anything to give me confidence.
How crazy are you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7a8XjeDRGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5bknbXFxjM

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I think I found the bike for me, the Rambo Savage 750W. It has a mid-drive motor!

I bought the Rambo 750 last Dec. Awesome bike, love it!
Is the savage the 2020 model? Do yourself a favor, get one with front suspension!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Not as crazy as that! I'd flat kill myself trying that stuff. Videos like that are precisely what worry me. Those guys are still peddling quite robustly, which means I'd still be a sweaty mess when I reach the ridge top. I want a bike that will tote me up without peddling at all. If it can't then I wouldn't be interested in having one. If it can then I'd buy one immediately. The problem is I don't know, which is why I'm interested but haven't pulled the trigger. I don't hunt giant farms with flat or lightly rolling ag land, but that seems to be all that any of the hunting bike advertising shows. I'm hunting big woods with steep and high ups & downs. If an ebike could get me to the ridge without me getting sweaty then it would be a game changer. Otherwise life continues on as is.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
My advise would be to save more money and buy a Bakcou mule.I bought a Rambo last year.It's a great concept but the Rambo is average.
I've done quite a bit of research and there is only one that I would get - the Backcou Mule.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Every place I hunt is a hill and a 750w mid drive will take you up them effortlessly.The day I got mine,It was in July and I went to check some trail cams.It was a 1.8 mile ride,mostly uphill and I never broke a sweat.You still peddle but you use far less effort than walking.My son races motox and took that Rambo up some pretty impressive hill climbs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So much bad information in here. Most of the bikes mentioned have crap components and won't hold up to any abuse at all. If you want a real e-bike get one of the big brand bikes (Trek, Specialized etc.). You will be better off in the end and won't have to replace crappy components. You will almost absolutely pay more upfront, but you'll have a bike that won't break when you need it.

The bikes in stikbow's videos are hundreds if not thousands of times better than the Rad bikes, don't expect to even come close to being able to do that on one of the bikes mentioned in this thread.

The other thing that has only kind of been mentioned here are the E-Bike regulations. We are only at the beginning of new laws being introduced, so whatever you get now may not be legal in the near future. This coming from someone who MTB's regularly in CO and is seeing the increased legislation that is already happening with more E-Bikes on the trails.

As for tires, absolutely go Tubeless, do not use Slime it's garbage. Use Orange Seal, Stans, or one of the other popular MTB brand sealants. Slime is alright in car tires etc. but there is a reason no one who rides a MTB regularly uses it. A good sealant and a plug/patch kit will get you through almost everything. If you want additional rim protection and the ability to run a flat tire, albeit slowly, add Cushcore inserts to the tires.

1 - 20 of 390 Posts