Archery Talk Forum banner

321 - 340 of 390 Posts

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,050 Posts
Awesome information! Thanks. That’s exactly what I was looking for. Well I ended up and pulled the trigger on the Bakcou Mule from ebike generation. Was the price stupid high? Definitely. I upgraded to the 21ah battery so that ran it up. I got the package that comes with the deer trailer and bags. It came in yesterday and I rode it around the yard. Can’t tell too much about it, but I think it’s more than twice the bike my Rambo was. I’ll more interested to see how well it climbs hills without struggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh...you WON'T be disappointed, its an awesome bike, that mid drive Ultra can handle A LOT...you'll be glad you spent on the extra battery, especially if you're hauling or tackling steep grades. Post some pics and your thoughts...I know I'm not the only one who will be interested in your thoughts....

Curious - Did it come assembled...

if you got the package with the gator grip bow holder, my advice is to toss it...you will want have you bow on your back or strapped to pack sandwiched between clothing in a basket ..I have witnessed too many guys jack up their rigs trying to transport them on those gator-type racks and it didn't matter if the racks were mounted to he rear pannier rack or the handlebars...just a little bit of "learn from others mistakes" advice.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
15,701 Posts
Mount your gator-grip to the trailer for hauling other gear like limb saws etc.
I agree, putting your bow in one and having it stick so far out to the sides is a recipe for jacked-up strings, cams, etc.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Awesome information! Thanks. That’s exactly what I was looking for. Well I ended up and pulled the trigger on the Bakcou Mule from ebike generation. Was the price stupid high? Definitely. I upgraded to the 21ah battery so that ran it up. I got the package that comes with the deer trailer and bags. It came in yesterday and I rode it around the yard. Can’t tell too much about it, but I think it’s more than twice the bike my Rambo was. I’ll more interested to see how well it climbs hills without struggling.

I have a Rambo and a M2S ultra.The Ultra is also twice the bike that the mule is.I have a gator grip on my handle bars and it works perfect.

·
Registered
15,701 Posts
I have a Rambo and a M2S ultra.The Ultra is also twice the bike that the mule is.I have a gator grip on my handle bars and it works perfect.
I tried the gator-grip on my handle bars. I've got some tight spots to get through and it's worrisome.
I put it on my trailer parallel to the sides and it works GREAT for attaching just about anything.

Dougell, is the Ultra twice the bike just based on the motor or the whole bike in general?

·
24,050 Posts
I think he meant twice the bike that the Rambo is...not the Mule, but I could be wrong.

·
24,050 Posts
I tried the gator-grip on my handle bars. I've got some tight spots to get through and it's worrisome.
I put it on my trailer parallel to the sides and it works GREAT for attaching just about anything.

Dougell, is the Ultra twice the bike just based on the motor or the whole bike in general?
Helped a buddy last season who dumped his bike with the Gator on the handlebars and his rig was jacked, broke the sight and severely damaged the rest. He was nOT being reckless at all, just didn't see a rock on the trail as he rounded a turn. Best I've seen it used is in a trailer as you mention, but a lot of my buddies aren't hauling trailers unless they're in retrieval mode...I prefer keeping it on my back with a standard bowsling.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Built my own. Call it the billygoat. Will climb anything. I've tried super steep slopes and the bike would have climbed if I was able to stay on it. 2000$ total. 700 for the bike used, 700 for the bbshd and 500 for the battery. DO NOT skimp on the battery and definitely do not buy one off eBay or Alibaba. It will almost always be fake cells and a fire hazard. Got the motor and battery from lunacycle.motor will max out at 1600 watts with the 52 volt battery. You need a 30 tooth chainring up front for mad torque.
Ricky
How hard was this to do? My wife and I have a couple late 90's Gary Fisher mountain bikes that were pretty good bikes back in the day I would love to convert over.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Oh...you WON'T be disappointed, its an awesome bike, that mid drive Ultra can handle A LOT...you'll be glad you spent on the extra battery, especially if you're hauling or tackling steep grades. Post some pics and your thoughts...I know I'm not the only one who will be interested in your thoughts....

Curious - Did it come assembled...

if you got the package with the gator grip bow holder, my advice is to toss it...you will want have you bow on your back or strapped to pack sandwiched between clothing in a basket ..I have witnessed too many guys jack up their rigs trying to transport them on those gator-type racks and it didn't matter if the racks were mounted to he rear pannier rack or the handlebars...just a little bit of "learn from others mistakes" advice.

Good luck with it.
I didn’t get the gator grip. Like you said, too many things can potentially go wrong with a bow strapped on it and sticking out.

It was pretty much 90% assembled. I had to put the handle bars, front wheel and pedals on. I can’t see the M2S bikes being twice the bike this is... As far as price goes, no doubt the M2S is a much better deal for the money. The only downside to the bike compared to the Rambo I had is it having a derailer instead of the internal hub gear system. But I don’t go thru any crp or brush fields, so I’m hoping it’s a non issue.

·
24,050 Posts
How hard was this to do? My wife and I have a couple late 90's Gary Fisher mountain bikes that were pretty good bikes back in the day I would love to convert over.
Not too terrible, there are tons of DIY tutorials and resources avaialble online, YouTube is a good place to start and there are plenty of worm holes to get into from there.....a guy at work did it and trust me when I say this....if HE could do it, I think anyone could....when he was done, he said he had $1900 invested...can't remember what the specifics were.....

·
24,050 Posts
I didn’t get the gator grip. Like you said, too many things can potentially go wrong with a bow strapped on it and sticking out.

It was pretty much 90% assembled. I had to put the handle bars, front wheel and pedals on. I can’t see the M2S bikes being twice the bike this is... As far as price goes, no doubt the M2S is a much better deal for the money. The only downside to the bike compared to the Rambo I had is it having a derailer instead of the internal hub gear system. But I don’t go thru any crp or brush fields, so I’m hoping it’s a non issue.

Congrats....that's a sweet looking ride..I wish you well...update this thread with your thoughts and experiences as they occur....curious how you plan to transport it....most standard fat bike hitch racks are not rated for that weight. I think the Mule comes in around 70lbs; right?

Had a chance to work with the rack that team from timbertrail ebikes designed...pretty sure they are a PA based company. They have a hitch rack rated to handle their bikes and if I am not mistake the TimberTrails are 75lbs a piece. They aren't cheap at $250 for a single bike hitch hauler, but they are powder-coated, welded aircraft aluminum, and they include the loading ramps...they offer 2 and 3 bike versions as well, not sure what those costs are...

They represent a pretty interesting concept with two brush less hub motors...basically an AWD bike...haven't see the bike in person, only the rack and it was the nicest one in the lot...guy was a hauling a QuietKat with it..

·
Registered
880 Posts
Congrats....that's a sweet looking ride..I wish you well...update this thread with your thoughts and experiences as they occur....curious how you plan to transport it....most standard fat bike hitch racks are not rated for that weight. I think the Mule comes in around 70lbs; right?

Had a chance to work with the rack that team from timbertrail ebikes designed...pretty sure they are a PA based company. They have a hitch rack rated to handle their bikes and if I am not mistake the TimberTrails are 75lbs a piece. They aren't cheap at $250 for a single bike hitch hauler, but they are powder-coated, welded aircraft aluminum, and they include the loading ramps...they offer 2 and 3 bike versions as well, not sure what those costs are...

They represent a pretty interesting concept with two brush less hub motors...basically an AWD bike...haven't see the bike in person, only the rack and it was the nicest one in the lot...guy was a hauling a QuietKat with it..
I’ve got a Rambo bike hauler coming in today. It’s a 2 bike carrier. It should be up to the task of holding the bikes safely. If not, I’ll send it back next week and get a refund. I’m going to take the bike tomorrow on a mile long trip up a mountain road to go pull a climber that I left out. I’ll know after that how this bike will perform.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Rambo is coming out with 1000w dual hub motor awd bike this year. It’s crazy expensive though.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts

It;s all around twice the bike as the Rambo but my rambo is one of the originals.I have zero complaints with the M2S.I had an issue with the battery not charging and they send me a new battery.I can't complain about their customer service.I'm not a fan of the strmey archer hub that came with the Rambo.The concept is great but the threads on the hub are shallow so it's hard to get it tight enough without stripping something.I'm constantly having to adjust the chain.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I’ve got a Rambo bike hauler coming in today. It’s a 2 bike carrier. It should be up to the task of holding the bikes safely. If not, I’ll send it back next week and get a refund. I’m going to take the bike tomorrow on a mile long trip up a mountain road to go pull a climber that I left out. I’ll know after that how this bike will perform.

I bought one last summer and I think it's a pos.

·
Registered
880 Posts
It;s all around twice the bike as the Rambo but my rambo is one of the originals.I have zero complaints with the M2S.I had an issue with the battery not charging and they send me a new battery.I can't complain about their customer service.I'm not a fan of the strmey archer hub that came with the Rambo.The concept is great but the threads on the hub are shallow so it's hard to get it tight enough without stripping something.I'm constantly having to adjust the chain.
The chain is definitely a PITA with the hub gears.... I got stuck in Kentucky in November having to walk my Rambo up hills because the chain would come off and I had no tools to tighten it up.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I bought one last summer and I think it's a pos.
That’s not good.... I might go ahead and send it back. Which one are you using now?

Looks like the 1 Up ones are really good.

·
24,050 Posts
I’ve only ever seen a 1UP quick rack and it was not very sturdy with an EBike on it, primarily because of the weight. In addition the the bike has to be lifted onto the rack and cannot be rolled on because of the way in which it locks on the tires.

These bikes aren’t made for lifting...lol

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have the single bike one - up trailer and I like the quick load up and unload. You do have to lift it up on instead of roll it up on, so I just lift the front up on and then lift the back up on and I'm 60 and don't have a problem. I also built my own bike and I got the motor from luna cycle and got it in the Hot Rod mode which is 1200 watts which is there top wattage motor and I also got a 52 volt / 21 a/h battery. I'm not sure where the 1600 watt motor mentioned above came from because I talked to them at luna cycle and he told me that was the highest watt motor they had. Maybe he reprogramed it ! Anyway I also got a 30 tooth front chainring and I have never had a problem with any hills and that is with just throttle control no pedaling !

·
Registered
880 Posts
I watched a YouTube video of a guy reviewing his 1UP single and it looked rock solid with the Allen wrench lockdown mechanism that secures it in the trailer hitch. It eliminates all shaking of the bike when you’re driving down the road in the truck. It is pricey at over $400, but when you’ve got 5k in a bike, what’s another 400 I guess...

321 - 340 of 390 Posts