Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Tax season has come and I promised myself a better bow after all of the holiday shopping. I've bee thinking about one for almost a year now and browsing my options for awhile. But I keep running into the same dilemma - very few bows have the specs I'm looking for.

Right now, I'm using a little Bear Apprentice 2. I've been successful hunting with it and won the annual local 3-D tournament for women's compound division, but I am not getting the kind of speed or accurate long distance shots I need. I think I have outgrown the bow and I really want something along the lines of the BowTech Carbon Knight or OverDrive, but I can't pull 50lbs. My draw length is 28", so most of the bows like the Rumor, Vicxen, Siren and the like won't even fit me. I want to train up to 50lbs and potentially more as time goes on - I'm at 45, right now. And I need something in the 3.2 lb - 4 lb weight range. I really like Elite's Spirit, I'll probably ending up going that direction, but mainly by default because I can't really find anything else that is remotely similar to what I need.

Do you ladies have any recommendations? I shoot targets almost year round, but I still need a bow that is fairly quiet and hunting adaptable for bow season. I'm pretty petite in build, but I have giant 'Lana" hands and long, gawky limbs, so my reach is an issue. As superficial as it sounds, I don't do pink. If it does not come in any other skin or grip variety than pink, that's a deal breaker for me. I don't want to have to pay more to get it redone.

Thanks so much for your time and I really can't wait to hear from some experienced archers who understand my dilemma.

· Registered
222 Posts
Since you have a draw length of 28, you have many more options. You are not stuck with short draw bows or kid's bows. Go shopping and shoot as many as you can!!!!

When I upgraded last year, I tried out the Mathews Jewel, Bowtech Carbon Rose, Hoyt Carbon spyder, and the Hoyt Faktor 30. It was really a tough decision. I only drew the Carbon Rose 1 time and couldn't stand how it felt. (Just my feel). The Jewel was a little too short ATA for me. The Faktor was super smooth and if fit me great. I got the 40-50lb limbs and worked up from 45 lbs and now shoot it at 50lbs.

I am not a pink kind of person either! Mine is black out with purple and green accents.

· Registered
517 Posts
You don't have to pick a lady's bow you can pick any bow you would like with a 28" draw.find a good pro shop and shoot everything that you can about all the bows can be had in 40/50lb.my wife shoots a Mathews chill good luck and have fun.

· Registered
6 Posts
Check out the 2015 PSE Stinger X! The draw length, weight and draw weight should be great for you. The adjustability on that bow is incredible. Just search youtube for reviews. Best of all, it comes ready to shoot for around $400. You can get it barebow for even less. Probably gonna add one at my house... maybe the stiletto version...it is purple.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! @lilpooh: I didn't want to go with a youth or women's bow if I didn't have to, most of the bows I like don't seem to have an option below 50lbs. The faktor is pretty sweet, I like that it has so many customizable options. @toddz: I love the specs on the Chill, the speed is much better. @sydney: I did come across the stinger. I love the price on it, as well as it coming ready to shoot. The reviews seem very pleased for the money spent, with the factory bits and occasional lose screws being seemed to be only real complaints. It just seemed predominently ideal for hunting, but I may end up going that direction.

· Registered
712 Posts
If you haven't already you should check out a bowtech experience.

Like others have said, don't limit yourself and try every bow your shop will set up for you. Some shops are better at this than others.

· Registered
382 Posts
Find a couple of archery shops in your area - have them set up you with every bow they have that fits you and let you shoot them. If they won't work with you, then you aren't at the right shop. I have a Mathews Heli-m I use for hunting (I also used it for 3D competitions). Good luck with your shopping! Take your time, find the right bow for you - don't let anyone push you into purchasing a bow that doesn't fit you 100%.

· Registered
1,190 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my Mission Riot. I ended up with it because when I started out, I couldn't pull back the #40 draw the Jewel started at. I LOVE this bow! I am very petite so I understand perfectly! I started with at #27 and worked my way to #40 (from February to September) and I took 2 doe with it this past fall. I don't do pink either. Best part was that they switched out the limbs and so I have a camo riser and black limbs. Super smooth and deadly accurate...LOVE IT!

Added: Mean V string stop, QAD Ultra Rest, Extreme sight and Bowjax.

Attachments

· Registered
928 Posts
The Chill SDX offers a great combo of fast speed at lower poundage. The ATA is shorter than the regular Chill, as is the brace height, but in balance and quietness the SDX is awesome.

· Registered
13 Posts
I just purchase a Pearson marksman. The draw length is ordered in 1/2 inch increments to get the exact size you need. It pulls back super smooth and is really fast. You can order in the poundage range you want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.