Archery Talk Forum banner

Looking for an upgrade

3001 Views 55 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  MNOutdoorsman1
I currently shoot a 2010 PSE x-force dream season UF @29"-70LB. This year I have gotten the money together and am looking for an upgrade. As of now I would just like suggestions on bows to try out as I will be shooting it before I buy it. What I am looking for is a smoother draw cycle than what I have now. While my x-force is not a problem to draw, i just do not find the bow as enjoyable to shoot as others that I have shot. One of the bows that has caught my eye is the Hoyt Defiant 30. I started off bowhunting on a Hoyt ignite and have not had a negative experience with a Hoyt. I would like to have a smaller ATA due to the locations I hunt being very thick, brushy trees which make moving a longer bow around in the stand a pain in the @**. I would like to maintain some kind of speed as I am used to the beastly x-force, (not looking to drop down to the no-cam just for smoothness), but the chrono numbers I have seen for the defiant 30 seem very much acceptable. I need suggestions of models to "test drive" as I do not know where to start, FIRE AWAY!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone have any insight on the BTX? I heard it has a load of limb issues, sad to see bowtech continuing down that road

· Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't do it
I've heard they're blowing up left and right. It's a shame bowtech still has these limb problems. You would think after a solid 9 years they could/would fix it...

· Registered
212 Posts
I was dead set on the Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo, after shooting it and the Defiant my dealer then handed me a halon 6 and I fell in love, never been a Mathews guy, but I have never shot anything like it. From my understanding the 7 is even smoother (hard to believe considering what I felt)... These are about 300-400 dollars cheaper than the carbon as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,876 Posts
Prime Rize, Elite Impulse or Energy, Obession Defcon 6 or 7 are all really nice bows as well as PSE. The Halons are ok I just didn't care for them actually love liked the HTR and HTX better as well as the Chill r. The Hoyt was the most disappointing to me, shot them at two different dealers and didn't like them at all. I loved the Bowtechs that I shot but with the limb problems couldn't pull the trigger.

· Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The elite impulse is another good one. If your not looking to spend 1000, look at a diamond carbon cure, Bowtech carbon icon, Parker Viking, mission blaze or ballistic, or Hoyt powermax.
Thanks! As for the money I don't mind dropping $1200. (although any money saved is a bonus, its not about how much it costs, its about how it shoots) I already have some high end accessories I will be keeping when I sell my PSE so that helps with the budget. I work 3 jobs in the summer because I don't have class.

· Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was dead set on the Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo, after shooting it and the Defiant my dealer then handed me a halon 6 and I fell in love, never been a Mathews guy, but I have never shot anything like it. From my understanding the 7 is even smoother (hard to believe considering what I felt)... These are about 300-400 dollars cheaper than the carbon as well

I've looked into the Halon after hearing about it on here and determined it is a must shoot. I myself have never owned a mathews and only ever shot a friends Helim that I didn't like all that much. Keeping my horizons broad though

· Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Prime Rize, Elite Impulse or Energy, Obession Defcon 6 or 7 are all really nice bows as well as PSE. The Halons are ok I just didn't care for them actually love liked the HTR and HTX better as well as the Chill r. The Hoyt was the most disappointing to me, shot them at two different dealers and didn't like them at all. I loved the Bowtechs that I shot but with the limb problems couldn't pull the trigger.
I have heard a lot of good about obsession but my local dealer only stocks 2 or 3 total bows from obsession (unsure of the model). I'll definitely look into the prime and elite, a lot of people seem to enjoy their elites (that i've talked to anyway). The BTX looks like a great bow but with the issues I can't bring myself to get one.

· Registered
212 Posts
I've looked into the Halon after hearing about it on here and determined it is a must shoot. I myself have never owned a mathews and only ever shot a friends Helim that I didn't like all that much. Keeping my horizons broad though
I didn't enjoy the Helim either, I also didn't like Mathews based on the honeycomb build but they took care of it and it's just a sweet shooter. Elite makes awesome bows, before I shot the Halon I was tempted to ask my dad if I could just shoot his 2012 Elite Answer, it is a smooth beauty that puts out good speeds. Can't imagine how they're new bows shoot, would've checked but there is no elite dealer in south Texas, or at least there wasn't in 2012.

· Registered
1,999 Posts
I like my Chill X for its draw cycle. Had plans this year of a new Halon X, but couldn't do it due to the longer, stiffer draw cycle and the big dump at the end of the cycle. I'm not saying that the Chill X is what you want/need, but I've yet to shoot another that I like better all-around than the Chill X. And the deciding factor has pretty much always been the draw cycle. I'd recommend to at least give one a test drive.

· Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like my Chill X for its draw cycle. Had plans this year of a new Halon X, but couldn't do it due to the longer, stiffer draw cycle and the big dump at the end of the cycle. I'm not saying that the Chill X is what you want/need, but I've yet to shoot another that I like better all-around than the Chill X. And the deciding factor has pretty much always been the draw cycle. I'd recommend to at least give one a test drive.
Alright! I'll definitely give it a shot

· Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't enjoy the Helim either, I also didn't like Mathews based on the honeycomb build but they took care of it and it's just a sweet shooter. Elite makes awesome bows, before I shot the Halon I was tempted to ask my dad if I could just shoot his 2012 Elite Answer, it is a smooth beauty that puts out good speeds. Can't imagine how they're new bows shoot, would've checked but there is no elite dealer in south Texas, or at least there wasn't in 2012.

Never had any experiences with elite, but I see a lot of people on here own em and love em. I believe I have an elite dealer somewhere nearby, I'll have to check em out as well.

· Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,897 Posts
I ended up getting the Halon 6 as well. It's an awesome bow!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.