Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting into hunting with a crossbow. Looking for any recommendations or help with choosing a crossbow and what to look for. Thanks, Kent

·
Registered
387 Posts
Recurve xbow - Reliable, easy to maintain, loud, wide, vibrations, accuracy, learn to reserve center serving and you don't need a pro shop,...
Compound xbow - Some are very quiet, almost no vibrations, small-compact, there are more things that can go wrong, more tuning - pro shop?,...

I have both and I like both! I don't have pro shop near. I can do things - maintanance on both by my own and I am a newb :) Both can kill "anything" out to 40yds. I would recommend you to try different xbows - good way to find what fits you.

milan.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you like wheels on your bow go with ten point / wicked ridge. If you like recurve's you have to look at excalibur.
Check out their entry level packages...no sense going broke until this is something you know you will enjoy.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. Been about 12 years since working part time enjoying my hobby in a local archery shop. So serving and maintenance is no problem I do pretty much all my own work on my compounds just never really checked out the crossbow line and would like to get into it. Any info would be greatly appreciated from fellow archers already enjoying the experience. Thanks again, Kent

·
Registered
387 Posts
What are you looking for? Speed, small-compact, light weight, trigger, price? :)...Usually everyone will say their own favourites...You can get few inputs - tips, but the best thing is to try it.

milan.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reliability and quality. Compact, speed and acurracy. Trying them out is definatly the best thing for feel, fit etc. Just looking for starting points and opinions. Don't know anyone personally that shoots one.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Excal or Koda for recurve
SZ380 or SZ350 for Compound

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks gives me somewhere to start looking.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
This past year I owned a Barnett Buck Commander and a Predator, a Tenpoint Phantom CLS, a Parker Tornado, and a Stryker Strykezone 380. May overall favorite from that bunch is the SZ380. I'm not a "brand loyal" guy when it comes to crossbows.

Buck commander: heavy, not a great trigger but accurate, fast, had no issues with it
Predator: heavy, pretty fast, polymer track was not accurate enough for me
Phantom CLS: nice bow. Kinda heavy, very nice quality, accurate, did not like the forearm safety though I understand why it is there, the bow was not quite as fast as I wanted... Any the price... Ouch!
Tornado: had a burr from the factory in the machined pocket on the rear of the barrel where the trigger mechanism attaches that ate my center serving very quickly. I disassembled it and removed the burr with 600 grit sandpaper, made a new string, and it was fine afterward. It was accurate, not too heavy, pretty quick, but had the worst trigger pull I have ever experienced period.
SZ380: these had some limb issues when they first appeared on the market, so I waited until the bugs were worked out to get one. This xbow was very well built, compact, light weight, very accurate with the right broad head, lightning fast, the best trigger I have ever experienced on a crossbow, no serving wear issues. You have to pull back toward your hips when cocking it to keep the rope cocker claws from popping up on top of the rail, but that only takes a try or to to figure out. It also comes with the Cease Fire cross pin safety that can be inserted to block the trigger and the safety which made me feel much more at ease carrying to my stand and raising and lowering it from my stand, unloaded of course. The price on this package bow was about $650 and I felt like I got about $900 worth of crossbow.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate the input. Sounds like you have tried several and provided a lot of info.
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
The first thing I would do is go to shop (cabelas etc.) that carry crossbows and have them teach you the proper way to cock and load a crossbow. You may find you want a crank cocking device. Some can be built into the stock and others are slip on. Then shoot as many as you can because each one has its own fit and personality. Keep notes on which ones you like and do not like. Ask as many questions as you can as well. Soon one bow will stand out ahead of the rest. Then Call Wyvern!! I shot 16 different crossbows from 4 different manufactures before I bought my first crossbow. I am still very happy with my first purchase.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
If you like wheels on your bow go with ten point / wicked ridge. If you like recurve's you have to look at excalibur.
Check out their entry level packages...no sense going broke until this is something you know you will enjoy.
Good luck!!
Second this post. I personally like a compound crossbow. Recurves are too wide for my liking.

·
Registered
734 Posts
There is a lot of good advice posted in the previous threads.

I carry a spare string in the truck for my crossbow and if I damage the string I can just go back to the truck and change it out. With a compound the hunt is over until you can get it to a press to replace the string. The downside is that recurves are louder than most compounds and recurves are wider than most compounds.

I have an Excalibur Exocet and I wouldn't own anything else it is perfect for me. My dad had shot mine and he liked it and was going to get one for himself but after a trip to Cabelas to shoot some different crossbows he decided on a Parker Terminator. As soon as he pulled the trigger on the first shot he said" This is the one." Fit and feel are very important.

David at Wyvern creations is a great source of information and a terrific person to do business with.

I don't know the regs in Indiana but make sure that you go over the rules for crossbows as they may affect what you buy. Some states have little or nothing on the books and others like Connecticut are very restrictive.

For example:

The state of Connecticut has a 200 lb maximum and a 450g arrow weight minimum.

Also Connecticut has the following general hunting laws that will affect what you buy laws:

1. Hunting ends at sunset.
2. A cocked crossbow is considered a "loaded weapon", with or without an arrow on the rail.
3. Like most states if you have a "loaded weapon" in the woods you are deemed to be hunting.

Yes I think that the regs are stupid and it is obvious to me that they were written by people that don't have a clue about crossbow hunting but whether I like it or not those are the rules.

I have an Excalibur and if I am going to hunt to sunset I just let the bow down at sunset with the cocking rope. However, the reality of those rules mean that I need a crossbow without an ADF (Anti-Dry fire Inhibitor) so I can easily let it down, otherwise I need to carry an expendable arrow and shoot it at sunset, or I would need to be at the truck at sunset to shoot it into a target.

The down side of not having an ADF is that you risk a dry fire (shooting the crossbow without an arrow loaded) which can damage a crossbow.

Regardless, you need to figure out how you are going to handle a cocked crossbow at the end of the hunt. I just let my crossbow down at the end of the hunt as I said previously. Some here feel that that is not the safest way to "uncock" a crossbow and recommend that you shoot a junk arrow into the ground or into a target that you keep in the truck. The Excalibur was designed to be let down with the cocking rope and it is a snap. To each their own.

I would also recommend that you stick with a major brand that has a good reputation and warranty in the event that you need it.

Just some food for thought.

Bob

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys alot of good comments to think about. Can't wait to get into the shop and start trying them out.
Kent

·
Registered
12 Posts
KMS... greetings from another Indiana hunter. I have been using crossbows for over 34 years now. Have owned and shot many different kinds and brands. About 4 years ago I made the switch to REVERSE LIMB TECHNOLOGY crossbows. Some folks refer to them as RDT, reverse draw technology. After owning and using Horton Vision 175s and a Horton Recon 175 I will never use a "conventional" limbs foreward bow again. I have 3 Visions in my family, all are reliable, VERY quiet and DEADLY accurate. They are compact, a dream to carry and a pleasure to weild in a treestand. I have had nothing but positive experiences with my Horton bows and Horton Customer service has been amazing over the years when small concerns have arisen. The Vision 175 properly equipped with Limb Tunerz is the most silent bow I have ever witnessed. If you think you might be interested in a reverse limb bow you can look into the Hortons, this year they are offering the Fury and the Havoc or you can check into the Scorpyd line, although they are a bit pricier, and I understand Barnett has a reverse limb bow this year too. If you have any questions about deer hunting in Indiana with a crossbow or just general crossbow questions feel free to PM me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts