Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone had any recipes or tips for cooking elk. I have had it before...... just was wondering if anyone had some fave recipes for me to try. Got my elk..... now I have lots of meat, and want to try some new things. Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Cook it like you cook your whitetail. The meat is the same and cooks the same, you might not be able to tell the difference in flavor also... I can't anyways:wink:
We just have this marinade I'd share with ya but I'd have to kill you if I did:tongue:
For the roasts and steaks just marinade it for a few hours.

WTG on your bull!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Elk Stew

I just cooked a batch of Elk Stew yesterday, and not much of it left.

(1 to 2 lbs) Elk stew meat
(1) cn. Campbells Beefy Mushroom soup, undiluted
(1) cn. Campbells Tomato soup, undiluted
(1/2) white onion, sliced thin
(2) Carrots cut 1" sections
(1) cup broccoli floweretts
(2) celery stalks, sliced
(4) yellow potatoes, washed and cut into 1" cubes
(1) 15oz. can red beans, undulited
(4) Garlic sections, minced
Seasoning salt and pepper to taste

In pan of (3) Tablespoons hot oil, put garlic and meat and brown. Place in crock pot with all the other ingredients, stir and cook on high(6) hours

·
Registered
11 Posts
elk bbq

Cut steaks 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. salt pepper and garlic salt,

have a grill ready on medium hot. 2-3min per side.

or my personal favorite salt and pepper the steaks (1/4-3/8 thickness) bread with plain flour, then fry in a skillet. Serve with fried potatoes, milk gravy, and biscuits.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Elk Recipes

I have yet to stick an elk (fairly new to archery). But I have rifled 6 elk. My favorite is to get your favorite & thickest BBQ sauce and marinate overnight. Put it on the BBQ grill and slow cook to medium...
You can also just use "Lowry's SeasonAll" and/or Garlic Salt to taste then Grill. We like thicker steaks around 3/4''.

You can also marinate for a day or two w/your favorite marinade mix and a small bottle of the "Good" "Maple" syrup. Turn steaks over every couple hours. When ready either BBQ or cook on stove. If you cook on stove, get the pan nice and hot first, sere both sides to keep flavor in and steak juicytender, then lower temp and cook to desired level - doneness...

For elk hamburger: Have it mixed with 1/3 beef or beef talo. When making burgers, mix just a "little" of your favorite shredded cheese and a "little" of your favorite BBQ sauce into the meat, make desired size of patties and BBQ. Note: Elk burger will not shrink like beef tends too (less fat, less grease)...

ENJOY

Oh, tell us when UR cooking so we can all stop over unexpected too....

B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts