Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have never been hunting before but I am getting into it and I am planning on taking a hunter education course in the next month or two. I am curious to see what I should be looking for in a used bow. Initially I think that the greatest draw weight is best but I don't think that is the case. I have not had my draw length measured but I imagine its around 29". I plan on hunting for Deer and Turkey. So I am not sure what I am looking for with regards to IBO/FPS and arrow weights. Also price, do I need to spend $1k to get a good bow, $500? $200? I am learning that some bows are for tournement or target and some are for hunting, I believe the difference is with its quietness. I appreciate all your help, if there is a sticky for newbies I should read please point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance.
Drew

·
Registered
594 Posts
how much can you draw? sure the higher the better, but can you handle it? as a first time archer your muscles are not fully developed and i would advise looking for a lower draw weight.

you can get some great deals on here for around $600. maybe more for accessory's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much can you draw? sure the higher the better, but can you handle it? as a first time archer your muscles are not fully developed and i would advise looking for a lower draw weight.

you can get some great deals on here for around $600. maybe more for accessory's.
I don't know what I can draw I shot a bow at Cabelas that was 60lbs and I didn't find that terribly difficult, and it has a big let off. I'm jacked :wink:

·
Registered
542 Posts
I just bought my first bow a few weeks ago. When I shot in all the shops testing the bows I shot all 70lbs bows thought they were no big deal. I ended up buying a 50-60lbs bow, and after about 4 days of shooting I had to take about a week off my bow shoulder was so sore. For a excellent bow at a decent price I would suggest you take a look at the Hoyt TurboHawk or Hoyt SuperHawk. Both great bows same riser, same limbs, differnt cams only difference is the TurboHawk has a little more speed, but the SuperHawk draws a little smoother. They also both have adjustable draw lengths. Both list at $599 bare bow, but you should be able to find a SuperHawk for cheaper as it was last years model. Everyone is different tho you just have to go an shoot em all, eventually you will shoot one that just feels right. You can also find good deals right here in the free classifieds on AT. I look through them for a few weeks but ended up deciding to just buy a new one, and make sure everything was just the way I wanted it. Check out the local shops, alot of them will throw together a accessory package for you at a fair price if you purchase a bow from them. Good luck

·
Registered
192 Posts
Bowtech swat

I am an older guy with old football shoulder injury.

I shopped several bows. Then, I shot a SWAT.

A lot of these younger guys shoot these CAMS that jolt the shoulder so roughly that I could NOT shoot them but once and then be at the doctor.

I wonder what condition their shoulders will be after years of shooting the heavy cams . . . :pukey: My old body will not handle it !!!

The SWAT is smooth and I pull 70#'s with NO problem. It is fast, has a LONG VALLEY (easy on shoulder) and a SOLID WALL (which helps avoid creep if you have to hold it). I love it.

Go and shoot one . . . check it out. If you cannot afford the price they quote you.

Then, buy one here on AT from someone and save big bucks. I am retired and my funds are limited, I could not afford the $750 + parts + arrows, but got one here on AT LOADED with everything plus (6) ARROWS for $550.

AT is great.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Bowtech swat

Forgot to mention . . .

You DON'T have to purchase new cams IF your draw length changes. You just adjust it 26, 26.5, 27, etc.

You DON'T have to change the limbs to change POUNDAGE . . . IT is ADJUSTABLE.

This also helps in case you can't hunt anymore for whatever reason and must sell you SWAT . . . God-forbid. Any size shooter can buy it . . . :darkbeer:

Really . . . check out the BOWTECH SWAT before you buy anything else.

You'll love it . . . like I do.

I shoot a very heavy arrow @ 273 fps. I shoot a 350 grain arrow @ around 298 fps.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
i just bought my new bow and it was $300 shipped ready to shoot, minus arrows and a release. I bought a bear game over, last years bow but it shoots good. not the fastest in the world but it did a complete pass through on a buck at 30 yards so thats good enough for me. Shoot some bows and see what you like best. With a bear bow, you dont have to buy new cams to adjust length either, it uses modules.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Buy used from the AT classifieds! It will save you a lot of cash. New bows are like new cars, everyone has to have em and they drop 20% of their value leaving the shelves! You can expect to get a loaded bow for close to what you can buy a new bare bow for. Also expect to spend as much on accessories as you did the bow. Sights, rests, etc. aren't cheap. Let alone the day and age of 10 dollar arrows!

Kelpy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts