Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my fiancé and I are having a hard time finding somewhere to bowhunt within a decent driving distance from the north side of Atlanta. We exclusively bowhunt and are willing to pay anything reasonable. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions or know anyone? Even land for lease maybe? Thanks yall!!

·
Registered
23,332 Posts
The GON forum would be a good place to keep an eye on. Finding a good lease around ATL can be tough, but there is some good hunting in the bow only counties.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Did you guys every find a place? I am new to Roswell, and also exclusively bow hunt. (wish it was legal in my back yard) I would like to find a place somewhat close.

·
Registered
169 Posts
+1 sub par even for GA deer. Try the Mountains or Middle/West GA. Even now I've said too much :zip:
fear not I won't tell! Thank you guys very much. I came from S. Cali (Los Angeles) and the deer hunting out there is pretty limited in LA county-I CANNOT WAIT for the season to start. AGAIN, I APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR INFO!!

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Did you guys every find a place? I am new to Roswell, and also exclusively bow hunt. (wish it was legal in my back yard) I would like to find a place somewhat close.
It is legal in your back yard...

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My understanding is you have to be on at least 20 acres-
No, that could be a good rule of thumb depending on the property because deer run a good ways after being stuck with an arrow... but you can hunt your own backyard. You can't shoot within 100 ft (?) of a road way, across a roadway, ect.. Unless you live in a city where there is an ordinance in place where you cannot shoot a bow, it's legal.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
My understanding is you have to be on at least 20 acres-
I've never heard that...city ordinance or neighborhood HOA may have regulations, but in general, archery is legal within Fulton and Dekalb counties...no mention that I've ever seen of a land requirement...nor that I know of outside the city limits...

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I think some cities with large parcels will allow you to get a permit to discharge a bow...not sure how that works in Roswell, but Sandy Springs where I am (also Fulton Co.) doesn't have a restriction on archery hunting that I can find, though my HOA does...

I think you just have to be smart and plan well...

There are a lot of good deer killed right in the burbs every year...lots of guys along the Hooch shoot cross bows right off the deck...

Good luck...

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
There are good places to hunt in GA but if you are looking for a hunt club the good ones are going to cost you. When I was stationed there I would hunt the archery only areas of the WMA's especially during rifle season and had decent success... Nothing for the books but put meat on the table.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Try and find something in or near worth county .there are bucks you be proud to shoot in Iowa there

1 - 19 of 19 Posts