Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some references for good outfitters for archery hunts. Something on a budget within the next few years.

·
can I shoot it?
17,049 Posts
The number one outfitter I have ever been to inside the US is Tony Arce at the Bow Ranch in SW Texas for free range Aoudad. The guy lives and breaths his hunts dissecting his land and animals like a NFL coach does next week’s opponent. Best part is it is semi-guided and you can take all this intel and use it yourself.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Looking for some references for good outfitters for archery hunts. Something on a budget within the next few years.
I know a good outfitter for black squirrels. $10k a week meals and lodging. . .

For real. . . .Your budget and my budget may not even be close. What species? Geographical area? A hog hunt in Texas is going to be completely different than a Kodiak brown bear hunt. . . . Details. . . Details. . . .Details. . .

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whitetail, under $4k

·
Registered
9,004 Posts
Whitetail, under $4k
Ok, here's the scoop. First, don't listen to those who say, "My friend runs a great outfit; he'll hook you up" or "I hear good things about x outfitter". You want first hand accounts and not necessarily those provided by outfitters.

Instead, look up reviews on places like Bowsite and pay much more attention to the negative reviews and the responses from the outfitters. People (and outfitters) will fake a bunch of positive reviews, but don't usually go out of their way to fake negative ones. Researching outfitters is half the fun, but remember that the really big ones, even the highly regarded ones, run a lot of hunters through.

Be sure to look for things on their websites and reviews that matter to you aside from shot opportunities, too, like sleeping arrangements and the type of food they provide. Best of luck and ask questions here about particular outfitters as you research.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
First, pick the area you want to hunt. Second, call references listed by the outfitter. Third, call the outfitter and request contact information for clients that did not harvest an animal.

My experience is every outfitter, even the best out there, will have a handful of bad reviews. No way to please some people. But if you call enough references, and let them do the talking (you do a lot of listening), you can quickly weed out the good from the bad. Some have a pre-rehearsed speech they give you, and others just talk about their experience. You can usually pick out the fakes from the genuine reviews. Ask a question and let them talk. Any issues will eventually surface.

If the price seems too good to be true, it is. A "cheap" hunt usually means the outfitter runs a lot of hunters through his camp. Some outfitters count "opportunity" as seeing a shooter, even if he is out of range. The references will be able to answer these questions and many similar ones.

Finally, don't expect a lot of recommendations. Example: I had a great hunt with Joe-Blow Outfitting. I get on social media and tell all my friends, who tell all their friends, etc. Soon, Joe-Blow Outfitting is either over-crowded, over-priced, or completely booked. Best to do your own research and keep your findings to yourself.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, sound advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Full drawl hunt company out of Menden Illinois. 2018 is $3300. Small camp and can only kill 4.5 year olds or older. Look up his web site or call. Free range. Absolutely one-of-a-kind place

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
Lots of work on your part. Phone calls and more Phone calls.

I like going the semi guided route. A bit cheaper and gives me the flexibility to make sets and come and go as I want. There is a wide definition of semi guided and the price's reflect that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts