Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I'm currently using the True Talker grunt call, after so many recommendations in years past, on several different hunting forums.
While I consider the True Talker a decent grunt call, I guess I still feel there is something better out there.
I have recently begun to think that the True Talker does not sound quite as good as others I've heard. I was even watching HS Prime Time Bucks DVD the other night, and the True Talker grunts they were using did not sound that great either. They sounded JUST LIKE my person True Talker, and I just think it's time for me to move on, and find something else.
Has anyone got suggestions?

Furthermore, I have always wondered IF there even EXISTS a grunt call which will not freeze up on us in the winter..????
I mean, IS THIS even POSSIBLE??? I fully realize that in the frigid winter, you should blow your grunt call as little as possible, in order to only allow minimal moisture inside the call. However, I've used a fair amount of grunt calls, which only took a couple/few blows, and they were instantly seized up. (They probably weren't FROZEN up, but they sure quit working until it got warmer)
Anyhow, I'm open to any and all suggestions in my quest for the "Cadillac" of all grunt tubes....

-Now WHO'S got the best grunt? LOL!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I don't know, I've tried a few grunt calls and the true talker sounds the best out of all of them to me at least.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
2 cents

mega ditto's reflex...

I tested 3 or 4 calls. I have actually found that every call has a slight difference in tone to a degree. But what i later learned that IMO the deer in the south are less vocal than the deer up north. So to me, their pitch or tone will be slightly different. I found this out by watching videos of deer in my area and heard them grunting. To me it didn't sound like the grunt i was used to hearing from deer up north.

The only way you are going to find the perfect one for your hunting adventures is to go and try a few calls out in your local shop since, you can't return the ones you buy online.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I have used the true talker for years & just recently purchased the buck growl by m.a.d. & know the tru talker is retired. The buck growl is the best sounding grunt i have ever heard.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
buck roar

I've always like the sound of a true talker, but I just picked up one of those new Buck Roar by Primos.... sounds really nice so far!! with the snort, wheeze on top also!! will be using it within next couple weeks I hope!!
As far as the freezing up goes, I generally keep my call inside a pocket or flap of my coat and have never had a problem freezing, plus it keeps it out of the way for making a shot with the bow!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Primos makes a small grunter with a hardwood bell on it that also does estrus bleats by pushing a little button on top. I can't remember the name of it, but you inhale to do the buck grunt. Mine has never froze up, and it works well for me.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Woodswise Buck/Doe call. It's an inhale call that won't freeze and produces a very low grunt that has been incredibly effective for me for the last 10 years.

·
74,535 Posts
DG87 oringinal from Haydell

This call been around forever. Becuse it works. I never go into the woods without mint.

Called this buck in on the run from about 100yrds.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Daniel Boone said:
This call been around forever. Becuse it works. I never go into the woods without mint.

Daniel Boone,

Sounds nice. I was wondering if anyone was going to bring up the Haydels call! I like good ol' faithful type grunts/calls, that have been around for years.
Think I'll pick up one, as soon as I find out where to order them.

BTW Daniel Boone, you've got to have more posts than anyone I've ever seen! Over 27K??? Holy YOWZA man!!!....

Also guys,
I think I'll try the M.A.D. buck growl? roar? (forgot), and see how I like it. At $20, it's kind of pricey for my taste, but we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll go ahead and spring for one....

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
Daniel Boone said:

I agree 100% with ya on this one. My problem is that mine got broke and I have been unable to find a replacement for it. So until I do I am using a True talker .

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Paul Cataldo said:
I think I'll try the M.A.D. buck growl? roar? (forgot), and see how I like it. At $20, it's kind of pricey for my taste, but we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll go ahead and spring for one....
$14.72 at Walmart

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I second the WoodsWise Buck n Doe. It's a bit on the quiet side but I have called in a lot of deer both bucks and does.

Scott

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
After all the hype of the True Talker, a couple years ago, I bought one. I am a call junkie, so I just had to have the King of all Deer Calls. Personally, I think the call sounds terrible. Not just mine, but I've tried other True Talkers. It now resides in my daughters toy box.

I've got a lot of deer calls, including the new Madd Growl (which I like as a straight grunt call). But the call I go back to year in and year out is the Primos Hardwood Grunter. Something about the hardwood barrel gives it a rich tone that you just don't get from the plastic calls. The call is very versital and is with me every time I go into the woods.

·
Registered
195 Posts
the extiguisher won't freeze up and is easily adjustable from buck-doe-fawn. as far as a better sounding grunt the buck roar from primos sounds awesome for reg grunts and "roaring" too. it has that great uuurrrpp sound to it. here is the link to the extinguisher: http://www.theextinguisher.com/?gclid=CN34j7qCzocCFQlYUAodlWd2LQ

these calls are going to be my 1-2 punch this year. let's hope i get a KO.:darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts