Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a old Bear Kodiak LH 55#, 58" tow tone color (green and brown).

Do you know someone on the net (a web site) where I can get more infos about my bow (year model, recommandation, etc).

I can't put Fast-Flite or BCY material on this bow right? I was thinking about putting some good old dacron!?

What do you think about the newer model of Fred Bear?

Thanks

·
Registered
20,285 Posts
Pete -

More than likely, it's a Grizzly.
Very popular from the early 70's and still in use today, Generally considered a low end hunting bow, a lot of people have used them with pretty good success.

Yes, Dacron B-50 is the only way to go. 14 Strands should be just fine.

Sorry, my newest Bear is about 22 years old!
Personal opinion, the newer ones are probably more high tech, better epoxies, etc, but the vintage bow had style, and the fact that thay are still around tells you something.

Enjoy.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry! It is a Grizzly, I don't know why I wrote Kodiak??!!

What model of Bear are you shooting Viper1?

One more thing, what is making a bow to be a low end bow?

·
Registered
20,285 Posts
Pete -

Actually, right now, I'm shooting a Hoyt PM5 (Wooden Riser).

Over the last .. ahem .. few (like 30) years, I've collected a few: Two Tamerlanes, a Tarter, Super Kodiak, Kodiak Hunter, Two "C" handle and one "B" handle TDs (all Magnisium). The Weights range from #30 to #70.

As for low end, the simple answer would be the price. Bear just put more "engineering" into the Kodiaks, and it seemed they had better tolorences. Simply, they shot a bit better for the above reasons. It's not ment as a slur, just that companies basically do grade their bows and charge accordingly.

Viper1 out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts