Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is subjective and probably opening a can of worms but I've been going back and forth on short vs. long climbing sticks. What's your opinion/preferred setup when it comes to sticks and why?

My initial thought is short since they seem more packable, I'm considering strapping them to the bottom or back of my backpack to carry them in. I know I'll probably need to carry at least one more than if going with longer sticks, 4 vs 3 most likely. I just keep going back to longer sticks are more likely to catch on something while hiking to a spot.

For reference, most of my hunting will be on public land, at least for now in a saddle setup. I am completely new to this type of setup. I'm looking to get up to 15'-20'.

Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Honestly, I'm newer into public land/bow hunting - but I have had no issues with my XOP mini sticks.

I got four of them (the mini two step version) and they have worked just fine for me. They have an awesome patented Quarter turn locking mechanism that allows you to lock your sticks together for transport with no additional straps or tie-downs - which is awesome.

I usually stap them to the bottom of my backpack, and can pack them anywhere.

But as with everything - there are a ton of brands of sticks and different price points.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have owned about 5 different sets of sticks. My two favorite are shikars and beast sticks in that order. My shikars have fixed foot rests as I was not a fan of the adjustable ones. Those two sets for me are easy to pack and just plain solid.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Every single stick on the market has pros and cons. Only you can weigh what is most important to you.
I've used, bought, and sold most every stick on the market or heavily researched it.
For ME, after goin through all that I've landed on the beast sticks for good. They're one of the safest, most reliable sticks ever made. I feel secure and confident going up crazy trees with crazy angles. They're dead silent. And they have inline stacking which is big for me. Some dont like their packability but you can work around that.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Every single stick on the market has pros and cons. Only you can weigh what is most important to you.
I've used, bought, and sold most every stick on the market or heavily researched it.
For ME, after goin through all that I've landed on the beast sticks for good. They're one of the safest, most reliable sticks ever made. I feel secure and confident going up crazy trees with crazy angles. They're dead silent. And they have inline stacking which is big for me. Some dont like their packability but you can work around that.
I agree. I use my beast sticks the most as well for those reasons.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get the everyone's different which is why I'm looking for the why you prefer what you do so thanks Bigmike. XOP mini sticks with the double steps are on my short list, as well as Muddy Pro's, the longer XOP's and Lone Wolf. I'll have to take a closer look at the Beast sticks. I do like the double-step setup.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Carry your sticks vertical and there’s not much chance for them to catch on anything. I would go as long as you can. You don’t get high with sticks. I have 4 xop long sticks and i rarely use them because i don’t get near high enough for most of my hunting circumstances. So i opt for my hand climber. Sounds like it would fall into your height range, though. They’re probably the heaviest piece of hunting equipment i’ve ever bought though.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I’ve used lonewolf, hawk, and beast sticks.

I use the beast sticks for my run n gun setups, they are rock solid on the tree. I’ve been in a few sketchy trees with them and they’ve done great. I highly recommend these.

I use the lonewolfs on my preset stands on private. They are great sticks. They too are solid on the tree but not something I would want to pack through the woods.

I tried using the hawk double steps on my preset stands but they were noticeably worse than the lonewolfs. 1. They make a squeaking noise once you put weight on them, this went for all of the sticks not just one. 2. No matter how well you set the stick the bottom does not get tight to the tree. I would not recommend these.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Carry your sticks vertical and there’s not much chance for them to catch on anything. I would go as long as you can. You don’t get high with sticks. I have 4 xop long sticks and i rarely use them because i don’t get near high enough for most of my hunting circumstances. So i opt for my hand climber. Sounds like it would fall into your height range, though. They’re probably the heaviest piece of hunting equipment i’ve ever bought though.
I don’t get the mini stick craze. In most of the tests I’ve seen people do they don’t get any higher or don’t even get as high with 4 minis as they do with 3 full length sticks. I get you could use aiders but who wants to descend with 4 aiders in the dark when it’s 20 degrees out. I’d also rather only have to hang 3 sticks. I lay my Hawk Heliums vertically when packing but the stack is on its side on my stand so they really don’t stick out at all.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,591 Posts
I don’t get the mini stick craze. In most of the tests I’ve seen people do they don’t get any higher or don’t even get as high with 4 minis as they do with 3 full length sticks. I get you could use aiders but who wants to descend with 4 aiders in the dark when it’s 20 degrees out. I’d also rather only have to hang 3 sticks. I lay my Hawk Heliums vertically when packing but the stack is on its side on my stand so they really don’t stick out at all.
Thats because youre looking at it from a perspective of needing height. You dont need height, you need cover. If you want height use a climber because nothing else even comes close.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Yeah, makes no sense. Then they’ll use the argument “all you need is good cover”. But your cover is at 18 feet and you just killed yourself With aiders and stretching to reach 15 feet. 🤣

·
Vendor
11,068 Posts
I am really amazed guys like the square tube style sticks with what else is out there now. They take up way more room and stack like crap compared to the LWCG double step sticks. 4 double steps are about 2"s thick total. I have owned so many sticks and thought they all sucked. But the 20" double step sticks from LWCG may be expensive but man nothing close for packability ease of hanging and how nice they stack on a stand. If height is a concern just add the cable aiders and you can get 20' with 4 sticks. Only stick i would even think about using.

·
Registered
466 Posts
For value I like the hawk helium regular sticks for about 120 is gets me about 17 feet up and run a rope mod. This year I upgraded to novix minis and run 4 ewo cable aiders. For about 300 all in can get probably 20 feet. If money is no object the ewo featherweights are probably the best but they are pricey and don't know that they are worth the extra money over the novix.

·
Registered
Bowtech Revolt X, Mathews Vertix, Bear BR33
464 Posts
I use Hawk Helium 3 step sticks. With the versa straps they're light and easy to use. I like having a step on both sides. Also have XOP three step sticks, they lock together nicely... tons of options out there that work well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like to run 3, 3-step sticks with a 3-step aider on the bottom stick. I won't run aiders above the bottom stick out of safety concerns. The brand I use are frankly too heavy and stack poorly. If I were to do it again I'd look for a different model that addresses those needs. That said, I've had no issues with the height I need to get to with this setup.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I agree. I don't mind carrying 5 full size sticks. They don't weigh that much. I'm getting older and my knees suck so cable aiders are a no go with me. I'll just take my 5 beast sticks in and use as many as I need to get cover. Normally only need 3 maybe 4. Very rarely do I need a 5th, but I have it if I need it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts