Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends SZ380, XB-30, Stryker arrows w/brass inserts, stock flecthing, 125 grn tips, firenocks . At 25,35,45 right on, At 55 it is shooting low & to the left. I have not seen him shoot the bow so I don't know what he is doing. Trying to think of some things to look at. Flectchings, Cocking, Nock alignment, Timing, Spin,.
What else would u look at. Confused being 25 to 45 are right on????

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Check ... that the scope is mounted level & plumb.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
With everything the further out you are the more your mistakes are amplified or set up

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not real sure, I think between 1 & 2.5" both ways. This was with field points. I did not see him shoot or the target, just what he explained in work today. I have to have him come over so I can go over the bow & see him shoot.

·
Premium Member
7,649 Posts
That sounds pretty good to me. If anything, I would move the scope one click right, and just call that + my 54 or 53 yard mark. But I wonder could it be the way he is positioning his eye behind the scope?

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Hard to understand how the arrow is hitting dead on at all distances out to 45 and then impact to the left at 55. I've never seen that happen. Cross wind/breeze? Strange stuff....

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will put a level on the rail, limbs & scope at the same time

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hard to understand how the arrow is hitting dead on at all distances out to 45 and then impact to the left at 55. I've never seen that happen. Cross wind/breeze? Strange stuff....
Yep, Sounds weird to me also, Need to see the bow & also how he is shooting it!!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Sometimes I think.........the arrow has a mind of it's own out past a certain point. My Vortex was right on 20 to 50 yards, At 60 I have a good group but it's an inch right and an inch high fron the 2' bulls eye. I wouldn't make any correction at this point. It's either me or the arrow setup. I shoot Carbon Express 397 grain, weight includes the 100 grain field point. This bow is a recure as most of you know, so no timming issue. Don't know how much the SZ is off at 55. Could be fletching, wind, or human error. Suggest shooting a group at 55 to elimate human error. At a further range if scoped for it....take a few shots if it's fletching (running out of spin) it should be magnafied at POI. Just some thoughts..........I don't shoot past 30 yds, I would be happy.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any chance the last crosshair could be etched off alittle. Today when I talked to him, he sais it was low & left by almost 4". I'm going to try & shoot with him this weekend.

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Is he :darkbeer: :wink:

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
shoot the best and "same arrow" that hits dead on at 20, 30 , 40 , and see if hes on at 50 and make sure its not the arrow, or risk it and shoot a 4 shot group, check the timing on the bow as well as the tiller! keep us posted !

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He shot 2 arrows for this & They grouped the same.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got everything shooting Great out of both are bows to 55 yards with the Grim Reapers & Field points. He had his bow sighted in at the wrong yardage. His first cross hair was at 23 yards not 25. So at 55 it dropped about 4". So we got his vertical & horizontal all right in now. The limb savers Alpha Shock or Super Quads definitely make a difference in the sound. Mine had them on his didn't. So we went & got him a set. I have the Alpha Shock & They were all out of them so we bought the Super Quad for his. The Super Quad is a Universal set for split limb bows.
The Muzzy 3 Blade 125grn. Shot about 3" low. So unless I sight in for them I will not be using them. May pick up a set of Slick Trick Mags to try also.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also forgot to mention we both have XB30's & it was in the evening & getting dark for the last few shots. I could see the target perfect without lighting the crosshairs w/either red or green. I was very impressed by this scope. Definitely will work great for those evening hunts after work. Also the Firenocks worked great.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was sighted in at the wrong yardage. I guess when he tried to tape if off w/50' tape he measured off a little bit. So when he got out to 55 yards he was 4'' low on the target. He was sighted in for 23,33 & 43 yards, but then 55 yards. Thats why the other 3 yardages were on & off at 55. When I got there he was shooting for 25 yards but actually on 23 yards, So when we set up for 25 yards, He was already shooting about 1.5" - 2" low

1 - 18 of 18 Posts