Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen that HHA and Sword get recommended often on the forums. But I wants a slider-type sight exclusively for hunting, can vary from whitetail, turkey, bear, elk, squirrel, and I do both stalking and treestand hunting. I would like a slider-type that is quiet both during adjustment and after the shot. Also if you have a brand/model suggestion please let me know why, what it offers that would be nice while hunting over other brands/models.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Sure Loc Letal Weapon Max.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Hha 5019

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BucksnBass525 said:
HHA for me. Quiet and smooth.
Which model? And what makes a sight smooth? Just easy to adjust?

asa1485 said:
Sure Loc Letal Weapon Max.
First I have heard about this sight, what made you choose it over HHA or Sword?

Ghost1313 said:
There are a couple of 5019's by HHA, the OL or the DS?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sword Centurian....built like a tank, smooth, quiet, and quality. Can't go wrong with a HHA either...I've had both but love my Sword.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sword Centurian....built like a tank, smooth, quiet, and quality. Can't go wrong with a HHA either...I've had both but love my Sword.
What makes you like your Sword more? Is it quieter or easier to adjust?

Will both the HHA and Sword have clearance for a quiver?

I see that Spot Hogg and Viper also have slider type. The rotating knob type look interesting as well, I am guessing this would function the same for a hunting set up as a slider type would?

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I have no experience with a Sword, but I have an HHA XL 5010 and I am totally in love with it! I went from a Spott Hogg Right On to this sight and there is no comparison. I can hit more accurately with this sight. The field of view is also very nice! Zero at 20 yards and Zero again at 60 yards. Subtract both numbers and choose correct tape. Once the tape is on your sight, everything else is dummy-proof. This sight is only accurate if your range guestimation is accurate too! But if you have a range finder, you will see that this sight is dead-nuts accurate! Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no experience with a Sword, but I have an HHA XL 5010 and I am totally in love with it! I went from a Spott Hogg Right On to this sight and there is no comparison. I can hit more accurately with this sight. The field of view is also very nice! Zero at 20 yards and Zero again at 60 yards. Subtract both numbers and choose correct tape. Once the tape is on your sight, everything else is dummy-proof. This sight is only accurate if your range guestimation is accurate too! But if you have a range finder, you will see that this sight is dead-nuts accurate! Hope this helps!!
Why did you go for the slider over the knob adjustable HHA?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would suggest the Boss Hogg from Spot Hogg. I went to it from the hha sight and personally think it is superior.

The HHA is a noce product, but all of the hardware rusted up right away which bothered me.

The boss hogg seems/feel much more solid, and has a larger window for extended shooting if desired.

Both good products, but I like the Boss Hogg a little more.

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
I like it because it puts my pins out farther and it puts the controls/slider closer to me which allows me to get to them easier. Here is one that is for sale in the classifieds. You can take pins out or use the bottom pin for the slider and move the slider up and down for longer yardages.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1078099

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would suggest the Boss Hogg from Spot Hogg. I went to it from the hha sight and personally think it is superior.

The HHA is a noce product, but all of the hardware rusted up right away which bothered me.

The boss hogg seems/feel much more solid, and has a larger window for extended shooting if desired.

The Spot Hogg's do look nice. How quiet are they after the shot and during adjustment? Does it get in the way of a mounted quiver?

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
They are quiet after the shot. I have one and like it . I can not answer the question because I do not use a bow mounted quiver.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The Sword has a quiver bracket, and adjusts fully with it on. I use an Alpine Soft-Loc and it make no noise at all.

To answer your question the Sword felt more solid to me and it appealed more to my eye.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
boss hogg or tommy hogg are great. so many options with them. I like the fact that you have a 1,3 or 5 pin housing on them and then you can dial in whatever you want. I the boss hogg with the dial behind the sight mount. it takes less movement on your part to reach the dial. and you can use either a one or two peice quiver. to me the tommy hogg it seems like the quiver would get in the way of the dial!

·
Registered
282 Posts

Agree. Have hunted extensively with both and prefer the Spot Hogg. Built like a tank. Super easy adjustment. Very quiet ..... absolutely no rattling at the shot. Like most sliders, it can create a problem with some quivers. However, I was able to find 2-3 that worked fine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Which model? And what makes a sight smooth? Just easy to adjust?

First I have heard about this sight, what made you choose it over HHA or Sword?

There are a couple of 5019's by HHA, the OL or the DS?

OL 5019, I didn't need or want the features of the DL and it cost about $65 less.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Sword Centurion all the way! It's actually overbuilt in terms of the high precision and heavy duty features it has to make it reliable with no chance of a breakdown. Danny and the others at Sword are also excellent to work with on any specialty needs you may have or future changes you may want to make in terms of pin diameters, fiber colors, etc. From my perspective, Sword's customer service and quality products are tops even though there are other excellent sight products/manufacturers in the industry.

·
Undocumented
18,095 Posts
I have seen that HHA and Sword get recommended often on the forums. But I wants a slider-type sight exclusively for hunting, can vary from whitetail, turkey, bear, elk, squirrel, and I do both stalking and treestand hunting. I would like a slider-type that is quiet both during adjustment and after the shot. Also if you have a brand/model suggestion please let me know why, what it offers that would be nice while hunting over other brands/models.
You just described Vital Bow Gear Slider sights.

www.vitalgear.net

1 - 20 of 64 Posts