Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I need some help finding a good mid-layer for my system. This is going to hopefully be an outer during early season (with a Stratus vest on top for windy days), and then I’ll layer it up as the season progresses until it finally finds its place as a true mid-layer. I’ve got a cheap Academy fleece that’s actually really warm that I’d use for this but it’s to big for me. Here’s what I’ve got so far:

-FL Wick 150 Baselayer
-Core Heavyweight 1/4 Zip
-Mid-Layer that I’m looking for here
-Straus Vest or Jacket

Things that I’m looking for are full zip, and no hood if I can help it. Other than that, I’m open to options.

I’ve been looking at the two below and I’m thinking I can just pick up any inexpensive fleece to fill this spot but I wanted to see if you guys knew of anything else that might work better.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/clo...red-head-explorer-jacket/2815945.uts?slotId=1

https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Ste...e+jacket+men&qid=1553563168&s=gateway&sr=8-17

Let me know what you think and thanks for the help!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kryptek has some jackets in their clearance cave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the heads up! I’ll check that out.

I'm a fleece mid-layer kind of guy. I'd look at the FL Halstead or Kuiu peleton
I was also thinking fleece for this layer and have looked into the Peleton 240 jacket but I’m concerned that it’s pretty much the same as my core heavyweight and won’t offer much more additional warmth. It does look like it’s maybe a double layer of fleece with the grid fleece on the outside and then that brushed fleece backer so maybe I’m thinking about that wrong.

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
Fleece is prefect for a mid layer. You can also do a combination of a fleece merino wool top and bottom

·
Registered
876 Posts
For years I used a gray north face 100 weight 1/4 zip fleece for exactly what you're describing. Used with a baselayer and my stratus vest over it in early to mid season. Worked great.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I’ll check that out.

I was also thinking fleece for this layer and have looked into the Peleton 240 jacket but I’m concerned that it’s pretty much the same as my core heavyweight and won’t offer much more additional warmth. It does look like it’s maybe a double layer of fleece with the grid fleece on the outside and then that brushed fleece backer so maybe I’m thinking about that wrong.
First that 240 isn't as thick as the Sitka HW. I personally use one, but as part of my active layering system. From a treestand point of view I love fleece for a midlayer.
I'll sometimes use a light weight puffy, but fleece is my go to.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First that 240 isn't as thick as the Sitka HW. I personally use one, but as part of my active layering system. From a treestand point of view I love fleece for a midlayer.
I'll sometimes use a light weight puffy, but fleece is my go to.
That’s good to know and exactly what I was looking for. I don’t want something the same weight or lighter than the core heavyweight to fill this spot. I’m looking for something a little heavier. I think I might just stick with a regular old 200 weight fleece and call it a day. The one I linked to in my original post is cheap and will probably do the job just fine.

Agreed. I have a Sitka HW 1/4 zip now that I use. Great piece.
So you replace the north face fleece you talked about earlier with the core HW?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use a British military surplus wool sweater a lot, its old, ugly and looks stupid, so its perfect for me.

Really warm though, theyre excellent mids.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good advice there Lugg. I’ve been looking into some of the military PCU stuff as I’ve heard a few guys on here talking about using it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Alright guys, I need some help finding a good mid-layer for my system. This is going to hopefully be an outer during early season (with a Stratus vest on top for windy days), and then I’ll layer it up as the season progresses until it finally finds its place as a true mid-layer. I’ve got a cheap Academy fleece that’s actually really warm that I’d use for this but it’s to big for me. Here’s what I’ve got so far:

-FL Wick 150 Baselayer
-Core Heavyweight 1/4 Zip
-Mid-Layer that I’m looking for here
-Straus Vest or Jacket

Things that I’m looking for are full zip, and no hood if I can help it. Other than that, I’m open to options.

I’ve been looking at the two below and I’m thinking I can just pick up any inexpensive fleece to fill this spot but I wanted to see if you guys knew of anything else that might work better.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/clo...red-head-explorer-jacket/2815945.uts?slotId=1

https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Ste...e+jacket+men&qid=1553563168&s=gateway&sr=8-17

Let me know what you think and thanks for the help!

I have the Patagonia r1 and I love it

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the Patagonia r1 and I love it
I hear a lot of guys using that kind of stuff for mid layers but what do you do about them not being camo? I’d want to be able to use it as an outer earlier in the season and also be able to walk in with it on when it’s colder and be able to sit for a while to cool down before putting on my outer layer.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
I would get a US military fleece liner jacket, they are inexpensive, warm and good pockets.

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
Military surplus store can be a good place to find what your looking for, and maybe something you didn't know you needed.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I hear a lot of guys using that kind of stuff for mid layers but what do you do about them not being camo? I’d want to be able to use it as an outer earlier in the season and also be able to walk in with it on when it’s colder and be able to sit for a while to cool down before putting on my outer layer.
With the exception of a vest I got at the thrift store, every layer is camo of some kind. Camo may or may not make a difference, but it gives me confidence, and removes any doubt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts