Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Barnett Penetrator

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 30 90.9%

Looking for some advise on my first crossbow

3259 Views 27 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  S.F. steve
Hi folks,
I'm looking to get myself a crossbow to get into hunting with, but unfortunately I only have about 500 bucks that I can spend on it (excluding accessories).
To make matters worse, I live in Canada, in southern Ontario (not usually a bad thing, but here it really limits my selection and means higher prices)
After much searching, I'm leaning towards the Barnett quad 400 since it has an impressive shot speed and is below my budget. however I'll have to hope that the reports of limbs/cables/scope mount failing after <50 shots are due to poor assembly.
The other bow under consideration is the PSE toxic (can get off amazon for 450 with a month waiting). problem is, I can't find any reviews for it, for better or for worse.
Advantage with the PSE is the adjustable stock, bottom rail, and smaller axle to axle, may be quieter as I've heard the quad 400 is loud as heck
Disadvantage is that it'll only shoot 325 instead of 345fps @ 425grain, plus it weighs 9.5lbs

The barnett penetrator also crossed my mind but that's at my budget limit and it seems like I'm just getting 5 fps more for another hundred bucks.

My questions are,
1. Has anyone here shot the PSE and can tell me about it's quality? (including the stock scope)
2. will that 20fps drop make a noticeable difference in the field?
3. at 6'2", will I be needing an adjustable stock? (bass pro in my area doesn't have either in store)
4. is that lower rail actually useful? as cool as it would be to have a bi-pod, I'm unsure whether I'd actually have anywhere to rest it.

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, like i said, I'm about as green as they come.
Any advise here would be much appreciated.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
for $299.00 barnett has the new recruit at 300fps a buddy of mine bought one for his son and we were shooting it yesterday i like that bow it realy shoot well and 300fps is more than enough to hunt deer .

· Registered
18,546 Posts
Of those ... the PSE Toxic.

· Registered
1,656 Posts
Go to local stores and shoot as many as you can. A bow will pick you. Everyone on every forum will be a personal choice or a bow company in which they get some sort of kick back. Keep that in mind when making your decision.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.