Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that I'm hoping someone in here can help me with. Where do I go to become a certified archery coach? By no means do I have what it takes to set this sport on fire. However, I do have some youngsters in my sphere of influence that are wildly interested in archery. I want to be able to teach them correctly without imparting bad habits. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Don

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I have a question that I'm hoping someone in here can help me with. Where do I go to become a certified archery coach? By no means do I have what it takes to set this sport on fire. However, I do have some youngsters in my sphere of influence that are wildly interested in archery. I want to be able to teach them correctly without imparting bad habits. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Don
Start with the USAA Website www.usarcheyr.org

Become a member of USA Archery http://usarchery.org/membership May I suggest a family membership so that all can take part in USAA programs and benefits.

Visit the Coaching page and review http://usarchery.org/coaching-and-education
My suggestion is to skip Basic and become Intermediate Archery Instructor Certified by taking an Intermediate Instructor course. See schedule with course leader contact information.

If one is not nearby, most likely there is not much identified demand in your area, but you can help create demand. Contact a Coach that can conduct the course who lives nearby. Also contact the USA Archery State Association in your state or a neighboring state. Here is the link from the www.usarchery.org coaching web pages to the Coach locator which lists some of the USAA certified coaches in the SE USA http://assets.usoc.org/assets/documents/attached_file/filename/24684/Coach_Locator.pdf

Ask them if they would consider teaching the course and how many students are needed to make the course viable.
Or you can travel to a course. I like helping to organize a course because likely there are folks in your area that are interested.

So you become Intermediate instructor certified. Now its time to teach. Certified instructors are the ideal JOAD club leaders and instructors. Instructing experience then can take you to becoming Community Archery Coach Certified. The experience teaching at the club level is essential to gaining the skills needed to move up to coach certification. The youngsters you mention might be the core of a new JOAD club you start.

FYI, I often see folks audit instructor and coaching course only to wish they had signed up and become certified.

·
Registered
955 Posts
When you take the Level II certification classes, the Level I is included as part of the program, so just spring for a little extra money and another day of time, and go right to the Level II certification. The L-II will teach you additional skills which will help your coaching. Check with both USArchery and NADA (teacharchery.org). NADA administers the L-I and L-II certifications for USArchery. One advantage of the certification is that you can get liability insurance as part of your membership. In today's litigious society, I wouldn't teach/coach without insurance. Anyone who is a Community Coach level or higher (or the old Level III and higher) can teach L-I and L-II courses.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am thinking about doing the same thing...

How did it go? Did you find a course and proceed?

I am looking for a similar opportunity in the Culpeper / Charlottesville area of Virginia.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I too am thinking of doing this. I've had BSA training and I "teach" archery at Cub Scout Day Camps and Camporee's. I just finished a weeks "vacation" at Day Camp last week. I had so many parents ask if I would consider working with their sons regularly. I respectfully said I would not be comfortable outside the current setting. I know what I know and I don't know if it's the correct way. I just wouldn't feel comfortable instructing someone elses child without getting more training myself. I told them I had considered H\higher level of instructor training. I had several of them give me contact information if I changed my mind or followed through with training.

If I understand this correctly, I need to join USA Archery, find an instructor, get Certified (Level II), and offer my services to those parents and spread my addiction as my wife calls it/

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I too am thinking of doing this. I've had BSA training and I "teach" archery at Cub Scout Day Camps and Camporee's. I just finished a weeks "vacation" at Day Camp last week. I had so many parents ask if I would consider working with their sons regularly. I respectfully said I would not be comfortable outside the current setting. I know what I know and I don't know if it's the correct way. I just wouldn't feel comfortable instructing someone elses child without getting more training myself. I told them I had considered H\higher level of instructor training. I had several of them give me contact information if I changed my mind or followed through with training.

If I understand this correctly, I need to join USA Archery, find an instructor, get Certified (Level II), and offer my services to those parents and spread my addiction as my wife calls it/
A good plan. Where are you located? There are some solid coaches and instructors in Texas. They can help you and share the addiction.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm in Central Texas between Austin and Houston. A little bump in the road just outside of Giddings.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I'm in Central Texas between Austin and Houston. A little bump in the road just outside of Giddings.
Five suggestions

Have a look at the Texas State Archery Association Website
http://www.texasarchery.org/
You will soon see who the worker bees are in the state with regards to target and field archery.

Review the USAA Archery club list and contact nearby clubs
http://assets.usoc.org/assets/documents/attached_file/filename/25349/2010_May_USA_Archery_Registered_Club_List.pdf
Note that some clubs are not active and just have USAA club membership for insurance. Other clubs are legacy type clubs and have no need to stay current with USAA programs. Just keep dialing until you reach someone that sounds like the right type for information.

Ron Carmichael conducts Intermediate (formerly similar to Level 2) and Community Coach Course.
http://www.texasarchery.org/L1/Training.htm
I suggest contacting Ron. UT is nearby isnt it?

If you have a potential student that cant wait to dive in, recommend that they take part in the USA Archery JOAD Regional Camp in Florida in August.
http://usarchery.org/news/2010/07/12/register-now-for-the-south-region-joad-camp/37206

Consider starting a USA Archery JOAD Club
Contact the National JOAD Coordinator Diane Watson [email protected]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts