Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting out in archery and I would appreciate some suggestions on bows to consider for target and field archery. Upon looking at those available I have been somewhat overwhelmed. I don't want to go into a shop with no idea what I should be looking for at all.

I came across the website Hoyt.com, and saw some bows that I thought might fit the bill. The Aerotech, Helix, Matrix, Eclipse, and Gold Medalist. Now of the group I was drawn to the Gold Medalist as a possible starting bow. Any coments on these bows would be appreciated, but I am not closed to other bows by any means. I liked the fact that the limbs can be changed out for replacement or to change the draw weight.

Bottom line is I need suggestions on bows to look at so that I can make a good decision in the store. My appreciation to all those who take the time to read and respond to this post.

Any other suggestions on choosing a bow would be helpful and appreciated also....Thanks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The Hoyt would probaly be fine. I don't remember the Hoyt price but a Quinn might be cheaper and close to the same style. If you draw between 27 and 30 you might try a 62in bow. Try between 30 and 45 lbs to start.Depends on your size. I know some will say only start with 30 but it really depends on you. If you want to get good and not get discouraged and quit you should find some guys that can help you get set up. Probally not the pro shop dealer. Welcome and good luck.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
You may want to go to the FITA forum. It is much more target archery/field archery orientated than this one.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
There's at least one field archer here (me) and I would suggest the Hoyt GM over the Quinn. Quinns are a very good buy for the money but the GM gives you the option of ILF limbs (International Limb Fitting) which I think is the way to go if target and field archery are your goals.

Get a set of light (30# to 35#) wood and glass limbs to start and learn on. You can get better (more expensive) and hevier limbs once you learn the basics.

Dave

·
Registered
20,549 Posts
Esquive -

I'll go with Dave on this. The GM has more, well, gold medals to its name than any other bow in history. The newer risers have some advantages, but as a new comer, it will be a while until you can successfully exploit those advantages. After a while you'll have a better idea of where to sink your $$$.

Go with a light set of Hoyt EPIC limbs (light will depend on your draw length) and try to find a local club that has some serious target archers. That's the most important thing you can do. We can make suggestions, but can't see what you're doing, for that matter neither can you, so an objective eye is critical for your development.

Good luck and welcome!

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am in the same situation this would be my first bow. I assume my draw length is about 28"(5.9) and I am considering either the Hoyt GM or Eclipse w/ medium EPIC riser 36#. The other option would be a Quinn Comet XL 64" or 66" w/ 35#.

Considering the ILF system I might be drawn to the Hoyt but thats 2x the money.

·
Registered
20,549 Posts
leopard -

Pretty much all OLY risers these days have ILFs, but I'm a pretty big Hoyt fan. Don't assume about your draw length, it should be close to 28" and so med limb should be fine. (I'm a little under 5'10" and draw 29.25" and can use med or long limbs.)

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right Direction

It seems tat I am heading in the right direction, and that was my hope with this thread. I knew that there would be various suggestions on bows to consider, but it greatly cut down the field for me. Now I have a list of bows to look at when I go to the stores. The Hoyt Gold Medalist is definitely on my list, with several others to compare it to.

Keep the suggestions coming, as I am stillopen to them.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
if this is your first time, and you don't intend to go out hunting for a while, try making a bow. the mcpherson's book: makin' meat 1 tells a great deal on how to make a good bow with little or no experience. it also helps you develop a feel for what to buy later.

·
Registered
898 Posts
As a starter set of limbs, the KAP (Win Win) Challenger Crafts and Challenger Carbons have got to be one of the best values out there. Check out alternative archery, they sell them at a considerably lower price than companies in the states.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Choice Has Been Made...

I have chosen the Hoyt Gold Medalist with Epic limbs. I believe that it will fit the bill for now and give me a solid starting point. Now to decide on the arrows to use. I am looking at Easton brands such as Platinum Plus, Cobalt, and Eclipse as a starting point. Still trying to decide in reference to shaft and spine combination.

The remarks so far have been quite helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
20,549 Posts
Esq -

Good Choice! Let us know your draw lenght and bow's native bow weight (as marked at 28") and we can give you a hand. Holler if you need any help setting it up. You'll have a few more options with that than with most "trad" bows!

Viper1 out.

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
21,784 Posts
i WOULD definitely go with the gold medalist all the way... I switched many years ago to the Gold medalist...I am not looking back.

The Gold Medalist is a extremley fine bow...especially for the money. They have the "Sky" medalist (which is a Earl Hoyt bow too)... Sky medalist... Gold medalist... all are fine bows... can't say enough about them.

You can get a varity of limbs, and actually get hunting limbs for them.

Dwayne

·
Registered
770 Posts
PSE Try one!

Before you decide, try a PSE X-Factor. I too was in the same situtation a few years ago [except I laid off shooting for about 18 years] and decided to get back into the sport I really loved! [Gave away my Golf clubs].. I shot every bow listed in this thread and to my surprise the PES out shot even the Hoyt. Having shot for Earl years ago, I assumed that would be my choice, but do yourself a favor and try all the brands you can.
Thanks, and good shooting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okie1bow said:
Before you decide, try a PSE X-Factor. I too was in the same situtation a few years ago [except I laid off shooting for about 18 years] and decided to get back into the sport I really loved! [Gave away my Golf clubs].. I shot every bow listed in this thread and to my surprise the PES out shot even the Hoyt. Having shot for Earl years ago, I assumed that would be my choice, but do yourself a favor and try all the brands you can.
Thanks, and good shooting.
what limbs would you suggest? The PSE X-Pression or the PSE Competition limbs? What was the difference that you noticed between the Hoyt and the PSE?

I actually picked up a PSE catalog when I was considering what recurve bow I was going to get, but the price difference between the Hoyt Gold Medalist and the PSE X-Factor led me towards the Hoyt to start with. The PSE is still on the list for the future, but the Hoyt will work for now with me. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts