Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, looking for a bow for a child just beginning in archery. Cost is prohibitive on the high-end bows. What is a good bow for a beginner?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Diamond edge series are nice for beginners, highly adjustable, can be adjusted to very low draw weights, and can be found used in excellent condition at very reasonable prices. I have the edge sb1 for my kids now, had a Barnett previously and the sb1 is much better. Might be a little heavy for a very young Archer.

·
Registered
49,431 Posts
Mission has several inexpensive bows that are highly adjustable and will grow with youngsters using NO press.

·
Slinging Arrows
770 Posts
Diamond Edge. Adjustable and it will grow with your child. My son loves his!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hi, looking for a bow for a child just beginning in archery. Cost is prohibitive on the high-end bows. What is a good bow for a beginner?
more info needed.
first how old is the kid?
what is their dl? weight they can pull?

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
Another vote for the Diamond Edge SB-1. It was tons of adjustability. I still have mine and enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have two boys, I got a Bowtech Convergence for one son. Very happy with it for a beginners bow. Easy and simple to adjust at home with no press needed.

I picked up a PSE ferocity for the other. Also very adjustable and easily done with no bow press.

They are both great bows for beginners. The PSE was a great buy 240 for a new RTS package.

·
Registered
49,431 Posts
Interested in this too. I have a friend who is 40, looking to get into the sport. Would like to see what a good bow for this would be
Hit up some shops and see what HE likes. He will have a much wider choice than a growing youngster.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My kids started with bear apprentice II and III bows. They now have diamond edge which is a better bow, but also larger and heavier. The diamond would have been too much bow for them starting out. Too much as in too bid and too heavy. I haven't been shopping for a few years though, so there may be some better options out there now. They killed dear and turkey with their apprentices

·
Just thwackin' it.
6,787 Posts
You have lots of options. I would say kids under the age of 9 or so, depending on size (some 9 year olds are YUGE), here's a general starting list:

PSE Mini Burner
Bear Cruzer Lite
Bear Royale
Diamond Atomic
any 48" or 54" (depending on size of the kid) takedown recurve less than about 25#

There's a few bows that are kinda in-between these two classes as well... they are smaller framed bows, but still go up to higher draw weights, so they are great even for small-sized adults:

Diamond Prism
PSE Uprising

A little older kids to teenagers, I would look more for a near-full size frame highly adjustable bow, so they can grow into it over the course of a few years. Most of these highly adjustable bows can be setup for adults too, but the downside is the mass weight of the bow is difficult for young or small kids to hold up and point at the target:

PSE Stinger series
PSE Ferocity/Brute NXT (same bow basically)
The less expensive Mission series (NOT their most expensive flagship model)
Diamond Infinite Edge (to include the Pro)
Diamond Edge SB-1
Bear Cruzer G2
PSE Uprising
any 62" takedown recurve less than 30-35#

Recurves give you the benefit that you don't have to worry about draw length, but at the cost of shootability and accuracy. They are difficult to learn on, BUT more fun in my opinion and once you master them, compounds are easy.

My absolute favorite of the bunch is probably the most expensive, the PSE Ferocity/Brute NXT. It's a sleeper of a bow, has arguably the smoothest draw cycle of the group, and in the right hands will shoot lights out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts