Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, like the title says im looking to buy one but dont know what one or if they are worth the money .. heard they are great from a few guys but also heard they are bulky . if they work and worth the money what make and modle is the best?? im sick of freezing my ars off so if this wont help me then what will, i have over 1000.00 dollars in cloths and dress in layers and (still) get cold after 4 hours of sitting in 20 - 25 degree wheather ..
thanks guys

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
I only have used the origional design and like it alot.

Best thing for cold weather treestand hunting IMO.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
My hunting buddy has two of them. Last winter, he insisted that I take his extra and use it. It was mid January and way too cold for this old man to spend the time needed in the stand so I took it. I thought it would be too bulky to shoot out of and didn't think there was any way to get out of the thing to get a shot. On January 13 and 14 with snow on the ground, bitter cold temp's, don't remember the numbers now but cold, I shot mature does each day. I saw them coming, unzipped and slipped my arms out, took my bow off the hanger and made the shots. I was not dressed overly heavy as to not get too hot on the walk in. I was in the stand several hours each day in the wind and stayed completely comfortable.

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
I have only used it in a treestand.

Even a old Cabela's ladderstand with the teeny platform with my size 12 boots.

Just don't wait and try to learn it in the dark.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Climb into the stand, hook up your harness and set down. Slip your feet into it and very carefully stand up, get into the suspenders, zip up and set down.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I could have used one last year. Cold wind blowing in my face all morning.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I was looking at getting some new late season gear last year and ended up getting and HBS. Really is one of the best pieces of hunting gear I ever got. It’s not that hard to get into once you have done it once or twice. I get cold easily and this thing has been a life saver and definitely made my late season hunting much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
355 Posts
buy you an old down army surplus sleeping bag

·
Registered
18 Posts
The suit takes a little practice to get in and out of specially on a little hang on stand in the dark. If you practice before you go out tho its really simple to get on and off. Same thing with coming out for a shot just takes a little practice. I dont see an issue with bukiness. They have cheaper suits now dpending on the camo and size you wud b in

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I would buy one if I had the cash.I think it is a good product.Anything you can use to keep you on the stand longer is a good investment.

·
Registered
113 Posts
As one of those guys that gets cold really easy, no matter what I'm wearing, I finally broke down and got one last year. Wow...pretty expensive, but worth every single penny. No way I could stay in the stand as long as I did this last late season without it. You feel (and look) like a giant camo burrito, but it sure is comfy. Definatly a +1 on the practice getting in and out of the thing. Once you get the hange of it, it's not bad at all. Watch the sizing. I'm 5'11, 220lb, and the Large Wide just a little too short i think. It still works and keeps me warm, but I would like the extra couple inches.

Probably the best things I've purchased. It keeps me in the woods. Can't shoot em from the couch.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Not tryin to hijack, but I have a ? for the guys that have a hbs.
How difficult do you think it might be to get out of that thing if you did take a fall and were hangin by your harness? I would imagine that you'd prob be able to unzip without too much problems, but do you think you can drop the suspender straps and shake out fairly easily? Lookin to pick one up myself and this was one of my concerns.

·
Registered
17,826 Posts
tried a warm bag last year and was not at all comfortable in that bag 20ft up, returned it. i know the heater suit is differant but i do not like the bulk and the feeling that i am sasquatch or something.

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
Best piece of hunting gear I've ever purchased. Go to the website and view the video, it's as easy as they portray it. I've killed deer wearing my HBS when there's no way I would have been hunting without it. It's the real deal.

·
Aim Small, Miss Small
5,589 Posts
Absolutely worth the money - You said yourself you have over $1000 in gear that you wear now..think if you just wouldve spent $300 and got the HBS right away - you'd have an extra $700 in your pocket right now (and you'd be warm!).

One of the best pieces of hunting equipment Ive ever bought. They seem a little bulky, but they pack and carry better (and is probably lighter when its all said and done) than the extra layers you are going to bring out to the stand with you..and you have an easier time walking since you arent all bundled up in heavy clothes.

As far as make and model, they only have the one model that I am aware of, except they made a cheaper version for a little while, but I dont think it went over real well, so Im not sure if they are even selling them anymore.

And gutshotem- Yes is would be pretty easy to get the elastic straps off. They are put on after your harness, so they are actually over your harness, and would easily slip right off over your head.

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
As one of those guys that gets cold really easy, no matter what I'm wearing, I finally broke down and got one last year. Wow...pretty expensive, but worth every single penny. No way I could stay in the stand as long as I did this last late season without it. You feel (and look) like a giant camo burrito, but it sure is comfy. Definatly a +1 on the practice getting in and out of the thing. Once you get the hange of it, it's not bad at all. Watch the sizing. I'm 5'11, 220lb, and the Large Wide just a little too short i think. It still works and keeps me warm, but I would like the extra couple inches.

Probably the best things I've purchased. It keeps me in the woods. Can't shoot em from the couch.
Your and me are close to the same on the sizing. I'm 5'11" and 200#. I could of gotten the tall. Just boarderline.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
23,749 Posts
Next to my GT500, my HBS is the single best purchase I have ever made and trust me I buy too much......I would highly recommend scrapping the boot covers that come with it (I gave mine to my son for when he tags along) and replace them with the newer versions of the Arctic Shield boot blankets. You can find them at very good prices ( see below). The main reason for this is to cut down on the bulk around your feet. Here is another one of my little secrets. I put a disposable hand warmer in each of my boot blankets and stuff them in my pack on the way in. I climb in the stand, strap on my safety belt, pull up my bow and my pack, hang them both appropriately, then I take my boots off, slip on my boot blankets with the hand/boot warmers in there, and tuck my boot under the seat of my stand or hang them off of the edge, then I pull up my suit, unroll it and lay it on on the seat and step right in.....I have sat in some terrible conditions without ever getting cold. Now if I could just find a way to keep my optics from fogging I'd be o.k.. It gets so warm in the suit, if you pull out your bins or range finder they fog almost instantly. I don't like to keep them hanging as I want to reduce movement as much as possible. Before you ask, yes it is super quiet, I have unzipped with more than 5 deer inside 20 yards without getting picked off. The suit is "tough", but don't make the mistake of NOT wearing boot blankets as the lugs of your boots will surely rip the inside apart. Hit it once or twice during the season with a scent smoker and you pretty have have scent blocking super warm cocoon. My Pop and brother each tried mine once, they now both own their own.

Hope this helps.....

Boot blankets
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ArcticShiel...etic_Apparel&hash=item19c3a10c96#ht_500wt_689

Joe

1 - 20 of 42 Posts