Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a second year bowhunter and am looking to upgrade over the Craigslist find from last year. I have a nice rocky mountain sight stabilizer and everything else I need. The dilemma is should I buy a midgrade rth bow like the bear archery species that I've been looking at or maybe fork over a little extra on a bare bow. Its very hard to find mid grade bows that aren't rth. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
Talk to your local shop or whoever you planning on buying from [for a new rig]; pretty much most mid-range rigs I've come across have a slightly cheaper bare bow option.

·
Registered
50,416 Posts
Seeing as you already have the accessories buy a better bow. Most RTH bows have cheap accessories on them that will be replaced anyway.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Dont know what its like over there but most if not all RTS/RTH bows over here only have bargan basement bits. Might be better off getting a bare bow and one really good part like a rest, and going cheap on the other bits and upgrading as you go when you know what you really like

·
Registered
305 Posts
I agree with Dale B1, if you have and like the accessories you have now then I would look for a quality bow.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
Thee are brand new in a box Elite Ritual 33 bows $500 shipped on the AT classys.....fantastic bow at 1/2 price

·
Shootin and Cussin
23,632 Posts
Talk to your local shop or whoever you planning on buying from [for a new rig]; pretty much most mid-range rigs I've come across have a slightly cheaper bare bow option.
This.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I'm a second year bowhunter and am looking to upgrade over the Craigslist find from last year. I have a nice rocky mountain sight stabilizer and everything else I need. The dilemma is should I buy a midgrade rth bow like the bear archery species that I've been looking at or maybe fork over a little extra on a bare bow. Its very hard to find mid grade bows that aren't rth. Any ideas?
I'm not sure where you are located but, damn near every local shop I've been in has mid level bows bare on the shelf. There are some fantastic deals in the classifieds here, if you know how to tune/set it up that is a great option for you.

My advice, hit up your local shop. Most places are selling bows "by appointment only" because of COVID19.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It would help to know what you're looking to spend. Elite Enlist on eBay right now for $399 brand new. Also classifieds on here is full of good deals on bows & accessories. Buy a better quality bow, one that fits you & then keep it for years. Spend money on quality & buy it once.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Agree with 8888, makes more sense to buy a good quality once and be able to have it for a while. I would do some research or go to your bow shop and shoot a few different brands to see what fits you and feels good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agree with 8888, makes more sense to buy a good quality once and be able to have it for a while. I would do some research or go to your bow shop and shoot a few different brands to see what fits you and feels good.
What He said. Go to the shop and shoot as many bows as you can then pick something. And go bare bow. Most packages come with poor accessories.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking that was the way to go. 4-500 bones is my price range so I'll have to check that out thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did the same thing and upgraded this year ended up buying a used bow from my local shop (last years model) but excellent shape

·
Registered
554 Posts
Bought a used mathews with decent parts on it in April. By the time season rolls around I will have replaced most everything on that bow. I'd take what you have and buy a nicer bare bow. Upgrade one thing at a time until you get what you want. I kept all of my old parts to put back on the bow when I want to upgrade so I can keep my nice accessories.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
1,782 Posts
i would just buy a bare bow if you have the accessories already. you can find some brand new elites in the classifieds for a killer deal. they might be a year or two old but they are brand new. like said above the RTH packages usually come with cheap accessories.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
New old stock elites on ebay for around $300 auctions. Impulse and Option series. Should leave enough money to get new mods and have a shop tune it up and get you shooting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
New old stock elites on ebay for around $300 auctions. Impulse and Option series. Should leave enough money to get new mods and have a shop tune it up and get you shooting.
One thing the Archery industry needs to do is get people to buy new bows each year, so every year the changes SOUND revolutionary, like there is an entirely new bow. In reality, the changes are mostly pretty small, and a top end bow from 2017 are still awesome bows. I bought an Elite Option 6, new old stock and it's a fantastic bow. The thing to watch out for is that I had a rough time finding cam modules for adjusting draw length for older bows. There are dealers that have them, just be prepared not to find them if you walk into your local archery shop. (this is likely only Prime and Elite, less common bows)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts