Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy holidays. So I thought I'd open the flood gates and ask the question. I
I'm looking to get a new bow for 2014. However, there are only like 200 different manufactures and 1000 more models to choose from. My question is relatively simple. What do you shoot and what are your likes and dislikes? What model year is it also?
What I am looking for is something not too heavy, a nice comfortable cam with a deeper valley, a decent back wall, brace height around 7" min, and ata no more than 34.
I'm currently looking at a Matthews z9 or heilm but im open to anything. I've owned hoyt, pse, diamond and currently shoot an older (2006) ar34. I shoot at 58 lbs dw and 30 dl. It will be my hunting bow for whitetails in WI. I don't really need blazing speed as much as comfort and accuracy.
There are a lot of bows out there to give a try and I want to shoot them all. However, that's just not possible.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,100 Posts
Since you can't shoot them all, shoot what you can and decide from there....

·
HHA products SUCK
14,155 Posts
I personally think the Bowtech Experience, Elite Energy's, Hoyt Faktor 34, and the PSE Source would be good bows to start looking at.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
Happy holidays. So I thought I'd open the flood gates and ask the question. I
I'm looking to get a new bow for 2014. However, there are only like 200 different manufactures and 1000 more models to choose from. My question is relatively simple. What do you shoot and what are your likes and dislikes? What model year is it also?
What I am looking for is something not too heavy, a nice comfortable cam with a deeper valley, a decent back wall, brace height around 7" min, and ata no more than 34.
I'm currently looking at a Matthews z9 or heilm but im open to anything. I've owned hoyt, pse, diamond and currently shoot an older (2006) ar34. I shoot at 58 lbs dw and 30 dl. It will be my hunting bow for whitetails in WI. I don't really need blazing speed as much as comfort and accuracy.
There are a lot of bows out there to give a try and I want to shoot them all. However, that's just not possible.
go shoot a pse drive............

·
Registered
860 Posts
Friend of mine got the mathews zxt and it's a smooth shooter. 326ibo, single cam, moderately priced. I would like one.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
If speed is not your thing, but smooth draw is, then solocam is the way too go.
Obsession bows draw smooth for twin cam, it's really simple, to get speed the cams are more aggressive and draw harder in theory

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just picked up a Heli M and to me it's my favorite bow by far. I had a 2013 Elite Answer and a 2013 Experience. My Heli M draws smoother then the Elite and Experience. I like the light weight and it's vibe and noise free. The Experience was really nice as well. But I will never sell the Heli M.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always wanted to give a bowtech a try. I hear that bionary cam is really nice. I also hear that the finish sucks and it flakes. Is that with all or just certain years?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I've shot allot of bows over the past few years, up until my order for my first Hoyt I've owned all binary cam bows. I've almost bought a few Mathews(ez7, z9 and MR7), just never pulled the trigger on them. I've been a big fan of, and have owned several Bowtechs and Elites, they've all had good balance, grip and valley. Every bow brand has it's pros and cons, what I like, you may not. Go out and shoot everything you can get your hands on, and the bow will choose you.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I always wanted to give a bowtech a try. I hear that bionary cam is really nice. I also hear that the finish sucks and it flakes. Is that with all or just certain years?
They changed their finish on their bows because of those issues. I never had any problems with the ones I bought, these were 10 and 11 model years. I'm not a fan of the new finish at all, but that's just me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All great options and I hear everyone in that I need to just stat trying them out. I just kind of want to get my bucket list started. Keep the opinions coming. I like hearing this.

·
Registered
378 Posts
After the new year, I'm going to be comparing Prime, Elite, Obsession and most likely the Chill R. I'm also interested in checking out a Bear Agenda 6.

...and of course I'm curious to see what Bowtech has up their sleeve.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
ChillR = 6 3/8" brace height.....,

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Single cam, I like the Mathews Heli-M.
Dual Cam, I prefer any of the Mathews Monster series. I currently shoot a Chill and am waiting for the Chill R I ordered to come in. Smooth draw, light weight and really good feeling shot.
(My wife feels the same as she shoots a Chill and a Jewel)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts