Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas.

I currently live in Northern Colorado and am looking at possible areas to live in MN, one of them is Minnesota. I know its a big state and there might be lots of good areas but I am hoping to get some insight on what its like to live in rochester.

What is it like living in MN? obviously looking for some general hunting info for the S/SE part of the state but more than anything, looking for some specifics on what its like to live there...cost of living, weather, economy etc. From what I have seen, looks like a very nice place to live.

Also, any clubs in that part of the state? And, of course, any insight into the hunting would be great. Definitely not looking for specifics on areas...just a general idea on what the deer hunting is like.
Thanks for any help you can give. Greg

·
Registered
209 Posts
I grew up in/around Duluth area. Very nice area, lots of fishing opportunities. Potential for some HUGE deer, but you can also go days without seeing anything and I've known guys who have hunted up there their whole life and have never scene a B&C buck.

Even before the economy turned South the job market was tough around there. I still have family up there, so get up there from time to time and every few years also get up there rifle hunting.

In H.S. I moved to S/W Minnesota, job market still limited. Fishing is spotty as there's not many decent lakes, but there are some good one's here and there and river fishing is pretty good.

S/E part of the State is very nice, especially along the boarder and such.

Taxes are HIGH

·
Registered
214 Posts
I live in Minnesota, and one thing that is nice is that it covers three biomes, I can go from my place in SW Mn in the prairie, drive 2 hours and be in the central part of the state eith a lot of lakes and mixed woods and ag, and drive a couple more hours and be in with a lot more big woods and more pine woods and such, with some ag. That's one thing I like. It is a nice state, like others have said, taxes are high, but we have pretty good roads.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
A lot of people who work on eastern MN live in western Wisconsin for tax reasons. Taxes are not cheap in Wisconsin either depending on where you live in the state. Even if you live in southeast MN Wisconsin is not far away. Real good hunting along the Mississippi along with excellent fishing.

Real friendly people and now they actually have a pro football team!:eek::zip:

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
A lot of people who work on eastern MN live in western Wisconsin for tax reasons. Taxes are not cheap in Wisconsin either depending on where you live in the state. Even if you live in southeast MN Wisconsin is not far away. Real good hunting along the Mississippi along with excellent fishing.

Real friendly people and now they actually have a pro football team!:eek::zip:
That was a close game today with the 49ers. I have no nails left. Go Vikings !!! I grew up in Northern Minnesota and tying to get back.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

thanks for the info fellas. The "cold" weather honestly doesn't completely scare us yet since my wife grew up in VT and I am from the Northeast also. We really miss the seasons here in Colorado (especially Fall and Winter). We are all very outdoorsy people so we are really looking forward to some true winter sports. from what I gather, 'southern' MN is definitely a milder climate...then again, maybe I will be curled up in the fetal position in my treestand at the first "cold spell". :) Not sure if I can get anyone to bite but I am curious what would be an "average" buck vs "good" buck in MN. Here in CO, we do have some big deer but not close to the numbers like in the your neck of the woods. If you'd rather not say publically, feel free to pm or email me and I will keep the info between us. Thanks again for all the help...I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My son has taken 7-9 pope&young bucks from the SE part of the state, a few were in IA. The big Buck hunting is good if you can find places to hunt. I am from there originally but moved north 12 years ago and wish I had done it 38 years ago because it is really rural and much like living back in the late 50's. I have thousands of acres of state land to hunt and because this is largely gun country, the bow hunters are relatively few. But, If you are used to having a grocery store open after 6 PM or anything else, forget it. That's the only thing I miss. Fishing is great also.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
trade ya'

I will trade you Southern California for either state. I will pick up the shipping and eat the PayPal fees as well......

·
Registered
15,811 Posts
I live in Mpls. an hour north,

1. EXCELLENT goose hunting...there is a refuge in Rochester that is home to 10s of thousands of geese.
2. Good bow hunting, farm country type hunting. Some good public land in the area.
3. Trout fishing is good in S MN
4. Walleye fishing is outstanding 3 hours north
5. Pheasant numbers are OK this year
6. Duck hunting sucks in MN of late.
7. The Dakotas are only 4 hours to the west.

·
Registered
15,811 Posts
ohh ya there is a Rochester archery club, they just hosted a 3-d shoot recently.
You can find them on 3dshoots.com

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
Minnesota

Minnesota has NO jobs, or very few, Taxes are HIGH, Hunting is pretty good as is fishing. Good hunting land is getting hard to find, you have to know somebody or have money. Winter's are long and summer's are short. Minnesota is a great welfare state. and getting more diverse every day. All in all its an ok place to live

·
Registered
15,811 Posts
taxes do suck...

listen to NPR on the web, if you aren't in tears(either laughing or from pain) in 10 minutes you'll love MN...

·
Registered
930 Posts
You have to shoot feathers on your arrows as the plastic vanes shatter at -43 below zero :)

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Im in the same boat as you, but it will be next summer for me to be moving out there. Im looking at moving up by the Princeton area of the state. When you guys say that there are no job, are you saying that for overall or just in specific feilds. When I move out there, I will have my Mechanical Design degree also. Any info would be great, thank you.

·
Registered
15,811 Posts
Im in the same boat as you, but it will be next summer for me to be moving out there. Im looking at moving up by the Princeton area of the state. When you guys say that there are no job, are you saying that for overall or just in specific feilds. When I move out there, I will have my Mechanical Design degree also. Any info would be great, thank you.
I know last spring a LOT of the shops around the Mpls area were down to bare minimum of people on the machine floor. If no one's making anything, there is not much design need.
On the bright side, when/if it picks up MN is known for its skilled highly trained work force.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I lived in twin cities for my whole life but am now in freshman year of college in Decorah Iowa. Lots of buds at school from Rochester been there tons of times! It is a great town. 2 chipotles in the town so thats a huge positive!!! If you have kids or are planning on kids in the future the schools are great in Rochester with 3 or 4 high quality high schools!

Rochester is miles away from some of the best hunting land in Minnesota. Harmony, Preston, and Zumbro Falls all have some big deer!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I know last spring a LOT of the shops around the Mpls area were down to bare minimum of people on the machine floor. If no one's making anything, there is not much design need.
On the bright side, when/if it picks up MN is known for its skilled highly trained work force.
Hopefully it picks up before next spring then. I will need a job when I move out there. I will probably have to start applying for them during this winter. Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Minnesota has NO jobs, or very few, Taxes are HIGH, Hunting is pretty good as is fishing. Good hunting land is getting hard to find, you have to know somebody or have money. Winter's are long and summer's are short. Minnesota is a great welfare state. and getting more diverse every day. All in all its an ok place to live
Awww come on Blake, lay it down on the line. True but if ya look around, a job or 2 can still be found depending on your skills. Does your last name start with a B, Blake?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts