Archery Talk Forum banner

Lookout archery world!!

1050 Views 23 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  popeye77
Well as of about the year 2020 the world of archery will never be the same! I found out this afternoon that I AM HAVING A BABY BOY!!!!!!! So look out guys my lil man is gonna be a natural born, bone collecting, antler addicted, whackin and stackin strap assassin! How old were your kids when you got them started in archery?? do they have to be able to walk already?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,768 Posts
Hey man congrats!

· Registered
508 Posts
Congrats. Your son will be the greatest thing that ever happens in your life. My little bowhunter started shooting at 4. He's 5 now and actually getting pretty good, if he keeps improving all summer may let him take a poke at some rabbits this fall. His little sister is turning 4 next month and it will be time to get her started.

· Registered
20,621 Posts
Well as of about the year 2020 the world of archery will never be the same! I found out this afternoon that I AM HAVING A BABY BOY!!!!!!! So look out guys my lil man is gonna be a natural born, bone collecting, antler addicted, whackin and stackin strap assassin! How old were your kids when you got them started in archery?? do they have to be able to walk already?
CONGRATULATIONS!! :darkbeer:

Best to not push them too young. I would wait until your boy is 3 to start him out. 2 1/2 at the youngest. :wink:

· Registered
3,875 Posts
Congrats, I started bringing both of my children in the woods when they had to ride on my back, and they have tagged alond as soon as they could walk. Both of them watched me shoot a deer with a rifle at age 3 and a bow at age 5 and a turkey at age 4. They both took hunter safety at age 7 and gun hunted deer and turkey the first year and they both started archery deer hunting at age 8. I enjoy hunting like I never have before they started. They both started shooting bows at age 3 but did not get serious until age 5. I have never pushed them to love what I love. I let them grow to love it on their own by showing them to love and respect all of nature not just for hunting purposes. My kids are the best thing that ever happen to me and I enjoy every minute with them in the outdoors and in what ever we do together. Congratulations it's just going to get better evry day trust me. My son is going to be 12 and is a deer killing machine with a bow ( I can't get him to shoot a deer with a gun now) and my daughter is going to be 9 and if a critter is in season it better not walk in front of her. Keep it fun for both of you and you will have a hunting buddy for life.

· Registered
376 Posts
i was 7 when i started archery and took my first deer at age 8. im 20 now but its never too soon to start him good luck

· Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys i appreciate all the well wishes. I'm so excited to be able to raise my son to love hunting and the outdoors but more than that to love the Lord and to dedicate his life to the service of our king. I just want him to understand the true reason we do the things we do. Yea I love hunting and shooting and everything that goes with it but its more about communing with God and balancing our life by getting away from work and the garbage on television and spending time in Gods wonderful creation. As long as I can convey that to him then nothing else matters.

· Registered
36,987 Posts
Congrats ......... My son killed his 1st deer when he was 10 , then a couple days later he killed #2 & #3 , he was hunting with his grandpa , when they came back from that 4 day hunt trip to family club , both had smiles on their faces that where seen before they got out of the truck .... My son used a single shot 223 ...

By the way he killed 2 doe's and a 6 point

· Bent Not Broken
3,451 Posts
My younger daughter got her first deer (shotgun) at 8. Her older sister did it with a bow at twelve. Both had small game kills before then though.

· Registered
148 Posts
The draw length was a bit long for her on the independence though

· Registered
826 Posts
Congrats ! You cant really take them too early. Just make it fun. If they get too bored or too cold you can burn them out also. I have a couple of buds that waited too late to start taking theirs and then forced them to sit too long on cold hunts now they don't hunt ( mid teens ) My boy is 17 and can't get enough.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.