Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not saying that no one has never shot a nice buck and lost the trail and never found it, but it seems that i read a lot more post on here (and every where else), about people not finding does or small bucks they wounded. Has anybody else noticed this. Maybe it's because there are more does shot than monsters or something, but i hope its not just people giving up faster on a does blood trail than a monster buck. I would look just as long for a 12 point as i would a doe. And that is nonstop until the meat would be spoiled if i did find it. Sometimes a read post that says "i lost a deer." Could those be the monsters that was lost? :confused2:

·
Registered
97 Posts
People are more likely to post the negative things. You always hear about the bad stuff far more than you hear of the good stuff. They are probably also looking for guidance or help with their situation.

Weezer

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
I think people in general fear they would face more social scorn for losing a monster buck than a doe, in converse to the increased accolades they garner when harvesting a monster buck over a doe. Maybe sad, but it's true.

Best Regards,
Byron :)

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I think you can toss a couple of theories for this around:

- more does are shot than monster bucks
- the "skill" of the hunter that takes the monster buck has probably been grown over years while shooting the smaller deer and bucks so that when mr big comes along, he has better control of his nerves than a less experienced hunter.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I would look just as long for a 12 point as i would a doe.
I believe you would look long and hard for the 12 point, I don't believe you would look as hard or as long for the doe.

most people are that way anyway, just my observation..

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I think it is because the majority of people are shooting at does and small bucks. Ya can't loose a big one if you don't shoot at any.:wink: I'm not saying they are wrong, just stating a fact.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I hope it is not like this but i was watching a tv show and the person had a bad angle/ far shot on the big buck that he wasnt going to take but he said "if this was a small buck or a doe i would take the shot".
This is not a good thing to think. A deer is a deer and wounding a doe is just as bad as wounding a 200 class deer.
matt

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Just wait until November......

then the forums will be filled with folks that can't find their bucks either! :confused: :cry: What always disturbs me is that it seems that folks are more likely to take a risky shot or a bad angle at an animal when you add the element of a trophy rack. Simply no excuse for it. If it's a bad angle or an uncomfortable shot then do NOT take it. :cry:

The forums are buzzing now of wouded and lost antlerless animals simply because many are trying to fill their Doe tags early, that trend will reverse soon enough. I also do feel that many folks are sadly willing to give up on antlerless animals MUCH faster then on a decent buck. I get several calls every season from locals wanting my help to try to recover their animals and I'm sometimes very surprised by folks' attitudes towards animals they have hit. Everything should be done and every effort should be exhausted before ever giving up the trail of a wounded animal. Good luck to everyone this fall and PLEASE do your best to make ethical choices about your shot selection.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Searching

I hate to admit it but you are right. I once had 5 people, for 6 hours, til 2 in the morning, in freezing rain, looking for a huge 9 point(we found it). I am sure that we would not have put that much effort into a doe. I promise to do better, Tom:wink: .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts